Free Member
Sep 14, 2014
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie
Hi guys, once again looking for advice. I have just run a damp meter round my 20 year old MH. It`s in pretty good nick apart from a couple of places. The meter indicated 15/16% around the bottom left corner of the van in the wc. Also around the fan in the roof near the kitchen, but only on the rear edge. I have looked outside and can see where it is possibly letting in water. My question is, do I seal up the suspect areas now or wait til the meter level drops. The van stands outside all the time, but with the summer approaching, it might have a chance of drying out more. I don`t want to seal in the damp. Also any advise on what to seal it with, I have good quality silicone and Soudal classic. As always I would really appreciate your comments
regards
Gary

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
There were some minor spots of damp found in our van when it had its habitation service 15 months ago. We had it re-sealed ASAP afterwards and the problem was cured by it drying out over the summer.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Our three year old Autotrail regularly had 12 -18% damp readings but was passed on its annual Hab check. This year 40% and a warranty claim. Booked in for May. Hopefully then ok

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I would seal the areas you think need it with a good sealant and check again when the better weather comes along next week -i thought that 15% was ok -especially for a toilet area

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
On my Protimeter up to 15% is considered "dry". In my opinion you must recognise that given you're measuring the dampness on the inside and only on the surface( if a "prong" type meter is being used) you must assume that if the surface reading is that high behind the point tested may be higher and more worrying. I now have bought one of the so called "contact less" meters and they do measure up to 40mm deep and give more useful readings

OP
OP
gazzeroo

gazzeroo

Free Member
Sep 14, 2014
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie
Thanks chaps, for the replies, helpful as always. I will probably seal the affected areas and keep an eye on them

Reactions: f6c

AlunJ

Free Member
Apr 12, 2015
Stockport
Funster No
MH
C class hi top
Exp
Since 2010
Hi any recommended examples of the contact less meters, and what % should raise concerns??

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
TFA Dostmann HumidCheck Contact 30.5503 Material Moisture Measuring Device
available on Amazon where I bought one for £59. Be careful I've seen the same one on sale for up to £80.

Up to 15% is considered "dry" 15 to 22% considered requiring further checking 23% upward normally considered "wet"
Expect immediately around window seals to be high as condensation always forms on the materials used to form the window opening . This is absolutely normal and of no real concern as long as it does not extend away from window opening at all
Hope that assists you
Ian

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Hab check done a couple of months ago and damp free but I bought a non invasive metre that was recommended here. We've been away for a few days came back Wednesday, went over areas with metre today and a couple of areas over 20%, the kitchen window frame area and just under roof and high wall area in lounge. It doesn't look or feel damp. East Lothian-20150417-00740.jpgcould it be condensation build up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back