Rally Chat 5th Anniversary Highland Gathering 18th -22nd June (1 Viewer)

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
Happy New Year!

It is at this time of year we are all making plans for the summer (at least those of us who are not skiing or lingering in the Spanish winter sun).

We have decided on the Midsummer weekend for the Highland Gathering, which will be a party to celebrate our 5th Anniversary of hosting meets and gatherings at Brin. It is hard to believe that this will be the sixth year ………………… thirteen “wild” events have already washed under the bridge, as it were!

We will be inviting members of different forums. It will be informal, and free, and you can join in as little or as much as you like. Generous donations for the Cairngorm Mountain rescue team are accepted – last year, in total, we donated over £1,100. The main thing, though, is that I am hoping that we will get lots of old friends who came to some of the earlier meets, as well, as more recent visitors and new faces. We will limit numbers, if we think that there are going to be too many, so book early to avoid disappointment. I already have four signed up – even before the thread is posted!

The dates: 18/19th – 22nd June.
The Venue: Brin Herb Nursery, IV2 6XD

Activities: The main event will be a BBQ and bonfire, probably on the Saturday night. There are opportunities for walks, bird watching, cycling, or just soaking up the summer sun, and of course meeting friends, old and new, not to mention eating and drinking. A Saturday trip to Inverness is popular with shopping addicts (on the service bus – bring your bus pass, if you have one!) and it is likely that there will be a trip to the pub – although The Dores Inn has changed hands, and I am not sure what the situation with the community minibus will be at that stage.

More details will follow in due course, and if you have any queries let me know. But in the mean time I look forward to seeing you all.
All the Best and safe travels
Margaret

PS. We are not setting the date for the minimeet at this stage, but are likely to set a late September/early October date about the time of the Gathering.

Deleted User
Hi,, can you give me some more details about the Highland gathering meet. Is it on a campsite with facilities and EHU. More importantly - are midges a problem.
Thanks

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
Hi, Borderland
The Highland Gathering is on a field, with minimal facilities (fresh water and disposal), but if you are a member of CC&C we also have a CS (which ajoins the field) with EHU, which you could stay on if you need power.
As for midges ......................... nothing is guaranteed ............................. but generally we have a breeze, here, that keeps them at bay. Certainly they are not as bad, as they are on the west coast. And if all else fails, we sell skin-so-soft in the Schoolroom, which is reckoned to be one of the best :(
Let me know if you want to come
All the best and safe travels
Margaret

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
I've been putting off a visit to Scotland for ages now, this seems a very good excuse to make sure I do it this year :)

Could you add me to your list please, Margaret. Thanks.

Bryan

Deleted User
Thank you for your reply Margaret but I am not a member of the C&CC and therefore not able to use the CS and therefore will probably give this event a miss.
regards

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
BwB: You're on the list. Look forward to meeting you. I will post more detail nearer the time, and if you want any information on the north of Scotland for your trip, let me know.

Sorry, Borderland, it's not quite your thing, but have a good year, and who knows, we may meet up somewhere, sometime!

All the best and safe travels,
Margaret

Reactions: BwB
OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
You're down, irnbru. At the latest count we have 12 vans booked already!
See you then.

Highland

Free Member
Jan 26, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Holsworth
Exp
Since 2004
Am a newbi here and would love to come and meet up with fellow Motorhomes. Could you please add me. Thanks.

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
More importantly - are midges a problem.
Wuss! :)

BTW 'Skin do Soft' - urban myth - you need DEET.

I'm interested as this as we live about 45 miles north of Inverness. We are now to this MH game and have never been to a 'rally' or 'meeting'. What would be be letting ourselves in for?

Cheers.

KH

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Wuss! :)

BTW 'Skin do Soft' - urban myth - you need DEET.

I'm interested as this as we live about 45 miles north of Inverness. We are now to this MH game and have never been to a 'rally' or 'meeting'. What would be be letting ourselves in for?

Cheers.

KH
You would be letting yourself in for FUN. Usually around 20 Mhs attend. Search images and past threads for more info. Minibus takes you to Dores inn if you are interested in the meal there. Some go some don't. Usually at night a BBQ where we all bring food and share.
Nosey women like me play at in and out the MHs looking for ideas to share.

The rally hosts Margt and Angus along with everyone else will make you feel welcome.
Get your name down..What you waiting for :)

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Which night is the BBQ? I just love sausages...:)

I think we are convinced that we should 'dip our toes in' for a couple of nights.

KH

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Sometimes there is a foodie themed night on the Fri and normal BBQ on the Sat.
Mum doesn't eat BBQ so she cooks her own but I join in.

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
Hi, Photo4x4
We are not rally goers ourselves, so what we do at our Highland Gathering is, I think, unique. As Irnbru says, we have various activities - mainly revolving around food - which are all optional. There are also opportunities for walking, cycling, fishing, birdwatching, etc. People come from all over, and many return year after year - so they must enjoy it! I think I have about 25 vans signed up and will shortly be limiting numbers, so if you would like me to add you to the list, I will.
We are a "gathering" as we invite members of different forums - which is why you don't see 25 names, here, of people coming - and usually between 3 & 5 forums are represented. There is lots of time to meet people, discuss places, van related topics, and other topics, totally unrelated to vans. We welcome well behaved dogs, children, indeed anything - in the past we have had a cat and a ferret.
I do not know, yet, which night the BBQ will be, but probably the Friday or Saturday, possibly both! I will post more details in May and hopefully, by then things will be clearer. (We suffered a family tragedy earlier in the year and as a result we have had, and still have a lot to deal with, both physically and emotionally, so this I fear is not a priority.)
Looking forward to seeing everyone who is coming, and if you haven't got your name down yet, bear in mind we may soon be fully booked:(

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Sorry to hear of your family tragedy, sending you (Hugs)
See you soon. And you will see Vanessa too....our new MH x

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
We are now at capacity for the 5th Anniversary Highland Gathering. Looking forward to seeing you all.
There are some possibles on the list, and one or two peeps will not make it for one reason or another, so if you are still wanting to join in let me know (by pm) and we will see what we can do. In the mean time if anyone knows that they won't make it please let me know as soon as possible.
Thanks and in the mean time .....
Margaret

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
Hi, all

I would be grateful if you could check the list below and confirm if you are still coming, how many of you there will be and when you expect to arrive and leave. Thanks.

More details will follow shortly, but we expect to have our usual trip to Dores on Sunday (lunchtime). If you are interested in coming for a meal at the Dores Inn, please let me know. There will be limited space, and we may need a minibus driver.

magbrin
Tonybvi
Ardgour
BwB
Irnbru
Highland
Tribute11
2cv
elfish
kernewek
Sam3317
ducato
nightman
Martlet
delicagirl
cowanhouse
nutts
reiverlad
Georgieporgie
Barnacle
Bongovanman
admin
dieselkg

Possibles:
Photo4x4?
The laird?
andy63?

Margaret

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Yes we are still coming. We will arrive as usual on Fri morning and leave early evening on Sunday night.

See you next month.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Yes, we're still coming. Expect to arrive on the 18th and would like to do the pub too please.

Many thanks
Bryan

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
Firstly thanks for your responses, guys, they are noted!

Oops - sorry forgot Puddleduck! I assume you are still coming - will pm shortly.

Apart from the trip to Dores there will be BBQs and a themed evening - any reasonable suggestions considered.
As it is looking bigger than ever some extra equipment will be required. Please bring your BBQ if you have one.
Shelter is often essential so if you have a pagoda, safari room, awning with sides or even just some windbreaks they would be helpful.

Keep watching - more details to follow.
all the best and safe travels
Margaret

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
If you haven't already confirmed please can you let me know as soon as possible, how many of you there are, when you expect to arrive and depart, and if you want to go to Dores Inn.

Probable Timetable:
Thursday afternoon - Working party for those willing to help us get set up on the field.
Thursday evening - BBQ for those arriving on Wed/Thursday.
Friday evening - themed evening - details to follow.
Saturday evening - main BBQ for everyone who wants to join in.
Sunday lunchtime - main trip to Dores (Inn & Loch Ness)
pm/evening - secondary trip to Dores if required.

On Friday and Saturday there will be service buses to Inverness if anyone wants to go on a shopping trip.

More details (what to bring etc.) for all the events will follow.

For a number of reasons, not least because we will only just be back from our trip to Canada (which is not going to be easy), the Schoolroom will not be open or available during the gathering. Depending on the weather it would be very helpful if you could bring any form of shelter that can be used in the evenings - just in case it is not the dry clear sunny summer evening we are accustomed to at our gatherings!!

This year the donations from the Highland Gathering will not be going to the Cairngorm Mountain Rescue team but to a memorial fund, in memory of our son. We are, however working closely with the leader of CMR and others as to how some of the money we have already raised, will be spent.
I know most of you know that our son, Neil, was killed in a climbing accident in Canada in January, aged 31. He was an adventurer, an explorer and an experienced mountaineer as well as a committed research scientist. We have already raised £3,000 which has gone to the Mountain Bothies Association to kit out a new bothy on Skye, and $6,000 (over £3,000) was raised in Canada and donated to British Columbia Search and Rescue, in his name and that of one of his other companions who died with him.
Our future plans include the possibility of helping Canadian students come to Scotland to climb and helping local schoolchildren, here, to gain mountain skills in the Cairngorms. Others will evolve. We are discussing these possibilities with Neil’s friends, here and in Canada, Willie Anderson, the leader of Cairngorm Mountain Rescue team and others, and once we have confirmed details we will set up a charitable trust.
We have recently asked for generous donations from our visitors at our meets and gatherings – and you have been extremely generous. Last year we gave £1,100 to CMR. This year, for the first time, we are asking for a suggested donation of £5 - £10 per person per night. Depending on the numbers (which are looking high!) we should easily be able to raise between £1,000 and £1,500 from this single gathering.
Please remember to bring your cash!

(PS. Please no messages of sympathy, here, Thanks.)

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
More details:
This could be my last post for a while as we are leaving soon to go to Canada to sort out Neil's affairs, and hopefully have a bit of a holiday, too. We do not get back until 15th June which will be a bit late to communicate basic details. While we are away we are leaving the planning in tribute11's capable hands. Any queries, I will give Irnbru Jean's email address.

So here goes - some more things to think of:

General things to bring - if you have them/can:
Extra shelter, cover, awning etc - in case weather is not too good
BBQ (may or may not be necessary, as we have some already)
Barbeque tools

Donations of some of these:
Charcoal, firelighters, bin bags, kitchen paper, etc
Rolls, sauces, salads, etc.
Paper plates & plastic cutlery

Specific things to bring:

For yourselves:
Liquid refreshment - Don't bring Lager - there is plenty here to share.

For BBQs: Thursday and Saturday:
Food - enough for yourselves - for potluck to share

For Friday: Themed evening:
Motorhome magic
One or two courses - enough for yourself, but be prepared to share/ taste other peoples’ recipes - and a hat or clothes to match!
The idea is that you prepare or cook your favourite, simplest, motorhome food - the easier the better and if you like, bring copies of your recipes to share. On second thoughts it should be so easy that it doesn't need a recipe Broken Link Removed

Other possibilities:
a musical instrument for an impromptu ceilidh
As this is an anniversary meet if you have any photos of earlier meets, please bring them, the earlier the better!

If you have missed them there are other posts relating to donations and the timetable for the weekend - see previous posts

Margaret

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Thanks Margt I am sure I have Jean and Roberts email but pm me it anyway please. A ceilidh would be fabulous. Maybe even @George Graham could bring some ceilidh music.
We are looking forward to our jaunt up and our usual Aviemore stopovers. Hope your time in Canada goes as well as possible.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back