Off to Stourhead (1 Viewer)

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Not sure if this is a good decision now that the wind has got up but today we are off to Stourhead Estate for a couple of days. For those who are not aware there is a small CL just beyond the main carpark. Facilities are very basic, water, eh and ce and they leave the disabled loo unlocked. The House is very interesting and the grounds and gardens are beautiful, regardless of what time of year it is. National Trust property with a nice pub in the old stables.
We will be pitched under the trees...might just be a touch of "Wild" camping!! :frowny:

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
We've stayed a couple of time. It's good to wander around out of hours when it's quiet, feel as if you could own the place. One night we watched a badger just behind the van "hoovering" around the outdoor tables by the cafeteria.
The little farm shop is worth a mention and David Niven has graffitied his name on the windows of the pub. We were told he was stationed there during the war.
But we mustn't say too much or it may become too popular!

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I had never even heard of Stourhead, just looked it up

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/stourhead/

We are even members of National Trust, another learning day, thanks for the prompt though, (y)looks really good and dog friendly (even if only late on in the day)

As you say I hope the winds die down a bit for you :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
One of my favourite places, the lakeside walk is easy but if you do decide to walk to Alfreds tower make sure you take a bottle of water as it always seems further than the signposts say and is quite hilly.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Great place, the grounds & gardens are wonderful

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
A favourite stopover for us on the way out of and into Cornwall, being only a couple of miles off the A30. The farm shop, in one corner of the car park, is excellent, and The Spread Eagle Inn, a ten minute walk through the estate gardens, is a delight.
If the CL is fully booked the staff allow you to overnight in the car park at a reduced rate. No EHU obviously, but if you are desperate to take a rest after a long journey it's very useful.
Stef.

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Having problems on the communication front!!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Gardens closed due to strong winds. Spread Eagle pub open!!

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
For your info. CL is closing mid May for 3 months whilst new overspill car park is formed. Best be quick if you want to visit. No guarantee CL will reopen!!:crying1:

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
[QUOTE="Old Soldier, post: 1365675, member: 10997]No guarantee CL will reopen!!:crying1:[/QUOTE]

I certainly hope it is. I have a booking for September, and at the time of booking I was warned about a degree of disruption in the area of the car park. This will not be a problem at weekends I assume.
Stef.

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
[QUOTE="Old Soldier, post: 1365675, member: 10997]No guarantee CL will reopen!!:crying1:

I certainly hope it is. I have a booking for September, and at the time of booking I was warned about a degree of disruption in the area of the car park. This will not be a problem at weekends I assume.
Stef.[/QUOTE]

That sounds good. I will check full details and post later.

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Latest update.
They intend to close the CL from mid May for 3 months whilst alterations are carried out to the grassed overspill car par areas. Then hope to allow overnight motorhome parking to anyone ( not just CC members) in main car park at a "reduced" rate. No EHU but water and CE available all be it a fair walk away. I think booking will be required as space may be limited.
In the long term they hope to move the CL away from the rear of the restaurant, other side of the overspill carparks, with improved facilities including enlarged hard standings but it will all depend on funds being available.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back