calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
Trouble is, there will always be something that takes a lot of finding!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
You probably know useful stuff then ................. unlike most of today's 'auto electricians' :):)

The main difference was that you repaired everything that broke down like dynamos, starters magdynos etc there were no replacement units readily available....but that said all components a d electrical systems on most cars was not complicated..

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
First year under our belt!
Replaced the front speakers in our '91 Ducato Swift Kontiki with some good quality speakers placed behind the seats. Ho yus! They'll drown out all the squeaks and rattles now!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I fixed the POIs on my new Garmin sat nav. When I loaded them the other day I forgot to set a parameter properly in the initial conversion from TomTom.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Jif (cif) and a toothbrush. Cleaned all the cab to body seams, the mastic joint, taken years off the ole gal. Used some good polish over the seams so should stop them blackening up too quickly ?? :)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Repaired the side mosquito roller blind & top silver sreen roller.
Had to fabricate a new rear heater pipe for car that must have sprung a leak yesterday. Good job I always check water/oil etc; every time before I use anything.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Cleaned the MH today and also clambered on the roof and scrubbed all of that clean using wooden boards to spread the weight. Raised all the roof lights and cleaned around the base of all of them and around the base of the lights themselves. Turned around the TV aerial as per advice from Techno100 and gave that a good clean and where it was parked.

Waiting for the arrival of the 2 new 125AH Hankook leisure batteries again as suggested by the master, Techno100! Just need to sort out the wiring loom in the leisure battery box which all seems to be very lightweight!

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Not exactly fixed but I have tried all sorts of proprietary brands to bring my black front bumper and rear wheel arch covings back to their original colour without much success. Today I reverted to my old army days and applied copious amounts of black shoe polish! They have really come up well, just remains to be seen how they weather in the next few days.....:happy:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I appear to have fixed the leaky shower tap in my Carioca 656, fingers crossed.

I now have to update the W Europe map on my TomTom - the continent will probably have shifted a few metres by the time TomTom's snail-paced servers have coped with that.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Fitted new bulb holders to the reversing lights. Bought readily available units off ebay and modified them and then the housings to accept them.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Dug out all cracks on front fachada.replastered with white cement + terrace wall. Cut all weeds out back & around olives, + front & 2 outside banks.Nothing on MH to

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Even after fitting a new lip seal, the casette has been leaking when you upend it to carry for emptying. After a bit of investigation, I decided to make a small spacer to increase the pressure of the blade against the lip seal. I had a look at pictures of a replacement blade and mine didn't look too worn and there was only a slight wear mark on the closing cam slide. Anyhoo, increased the length of the blade spigot by about 1.5 mm using a piece of white nylon I had in the garage and the jobs a good 'un !

Attachments

• 20150419_170842[1].jpg
    20150419_170842[1].jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 20150419_170828[1].jpg
    20150419_170828[1].jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 38
Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Exchanged one of the 240v sockets for a electric / USB socket and fitted an extra arm rest from "Comfort arm rest system" to the driver seat then found why the converter never fitted one. The seat will now not turn round completely as the arm rest hits the steering wheel but I can live with that for the comfort while driving. :)
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Jandc

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
lowprofile
Exp
Since 2008
Not a fix really but we took out the air conditioning unit that was fitted when we bought the van and put back the Heki which the previous owner had left in the wardrobe

We were going to get the lovely guy who does our habitation service to do it but he was busy til July!!! We bravely decided on DIY, much easier than we thought it would be, we needed to rope in the neighbours though to help us lower the brute from the roof.

We now have 30 odd kilos of payload extra for our upcoming 6 week trip down to Italy. More room for wine and clothes!!!

Air con unit will be going on Ebay, would be great for someone with the payload to spare, heading for hotter climate and using sites for Electric hookup.

Feel quite proud of ourselves, used mastic strip from local dealer so hopefully no leaks either!!

Janis

Jandc

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
lowprofile
Exp
Since 2008
Not a fix really but we took out the air conditioning unit that was fitted when we bought the van and put back the Heki which the previous owner had left in the wardrobe

We were going to get the lovely guy who does our habitation service to do it but he was busy til July!!! We bravely decided on DIY, much easier than we thought it would be, we needed to rope in the neighbours though to help us lower the brute from the roof.

We now have 30 odd kilos of payload extra for our upcoming 6 week trip down to Italy. More room for wine and clothes!!!

Air con unit will be going on Ebay, would be great for someone with the payload to spare, heading for hotter climate and using sites for Electric hookup.

Feel quite proud of ourselves, used mastic strip from local dealer so hopefully no leaks either!!

Janis

Jan 19, 2013
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2010
Burstner Oil Change: Finally got round to doing the oil & filter change myself …… had to adapt a novel way of getting oil back into the engine though !
Not happy about the rust on the oil sump …. will wire brush and treat the rust today ?

Burstner oil fill.JPG
MH sump plug.JPG

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
Every day is Mercedes day for us, there's always things to do.

Latest includes the first new windows fitted after the outside cover sheets were fitted.

Broken Link Removed

Now changing oil and filters after taking of the intercooler pipe to change a messed-up gasket, new gasket on the right:

Broken Link Removed

Always something to do!

Peter

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just started building all the new furniture for my van. Not looking forward to ripping out all the old cupboards as I built them really well using mortice and tenon joins, pinned and glued with poly urethane glue so should be more a demolition job than precision work.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I appear to have fixed the leaky shower tap in my Carioca 656, fingers crossed.

I now have to update the W Europe map on my TomTom - the continent will probably have shifted a few metres by the time TomTom's snail-paced servers have coped with that.

Have fun with that!!!! To be fair my sat nav was 4 years old when I did it but it took about 13 attempts and several online chats. Finally successful but now I can't put in post codes, thank goodness for longtitude and latitude co ordinates. I won't bother again .... :)

Bluestar

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Class
Exp
10 years.. On and Off
Just re fitted the radio Ariel that tried to commit suicide on the way to Peterborough next job untangle the dragon, (no not the misses) :whistle: that I brought at Peterborough and lasted a few hours in the wind :)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Just fixed our dishwasher which stopped heating the water. Stripped all the side covers off, proved heater was OK, so looked at control circuit board. Found a poor soldered joint, remade it, jiggled each connector and put it back together. No-one was more surprised than me when it actually worked !!

And I didn't have any bits left over, which is a first for me !

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Replaced the metal rail bit on the bottom shelf of the fridge door (Dometic) which had lost bits of its coating and was rusting in places. Replaced it with one bent up out of 4mm stainless steel rod, should last a bit longer. Cost £8.20 for the bit of stainless steel, I can see why they didn't use stainless steel in the first place, would eat into their profits.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Finally finished fitting new rear brake shoes and cylinder and front disc and pads, next on the list is a service, got filters and oils just need to do it. Then investigate doing the cam belt.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i think ive solved my long running radio problem radio was intermitently cutting out and finally traced it to the tweeter in the cab pillarloose

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back