RANT. Inconsiderate people (1 Viewer)

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Tandragee, Lurgan, Crossmaglen...
Bloody bandit country, and to an extent, still is !
Massive fuel laundering goes on there yet and paramilitaries controlling it.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
safe_image.php

this just popped up on my FB page

Had he just been slapped or kneed or is he still on the way in :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
It's the humans that need training, not the abuse of loose dogs.[/QUOTE]

That`s an "Open door". Virtually ALL problems with domestic animals are down to BAD "owners". There are only very few exceptions, which can be laid firmly at the door of the Breeders, who for maximum profit, breed too close to the bloodline, creating animals with, genetic defects not necessarily just Physical?.

Pete

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
But if the dog was friendly I would suggest you push the dog away and not clout them round the earhole. If somebody was to clout my dog round the earhole in the same situation my wife would not have any hesitation in doing the same to whoever hit her dog.
I think you're spot on, whereas I don't condone a dog jumping all over a stranger us dog owners are very attached to our hounds, they're one of the family so I would take offence to someone hitting my dog in the same way I'd expect a parent to get upset with me if I walloped their kid around the ear after they'd hit my MH with their football, in the dogs eyes he was being friendly, hitting it could've made the dog snap and then you're in a completely different territory, as you say there will always be different opinions
We are talking here about a dog running towards somebody who might make an assumption that it is friendly or not but has no way of really knowing. In my case I know there is a good chance that a dog jumping all over me will cause an asthma attack. As we have seen from other posts I am not alone.
We are talking about a defensive situation, not revenge (as per the football example).
We are also talking about a situation where there is de facto fault on the part of the owner who has lost control of the dog.
The owner is at fault and the victim has every right to take whatever defensive measures the victim deems necessary.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
We are also talking about a situation where there is de facto fault on the part of the owner who has lost control of the dog.
The owner is at fault and the victim has every right to take whatever defensive measures the victim deems necessary.

......... and if the owner gets upset about that - it's tough titties, and that goes for any animal kept as a pet that is allowed to "get too close" to other people who don't want it's attention.
For the record, I don't keep pets but I do spend a lot of time and money enjoying and supporting animals in the wild.

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
We are talking here about a dog running towards somebody who might make an assumption that it is friendly or not but has no way of really knowing. In my case I know there is a good chance that a dog jumping all over me will cause an asthma attack. As we have seen from other posts I am not alone.
We are talking about a defensive situation, not revenge (as per the football example).

I don't think we'll agree on this, I've stated that I don't condone the lack of responsibility from the owner, I would never let my dog from its lead to cause havoc on a site, however having ascertained that the dog is friendly this act of slapping the dog is not an act of defence, judging by the fact that he had enough time to slap the dog in mid air would suggest that the dog didn't bound towards him and jump at him, he also said that's how he deals with his daughter's dogs, fine if you know the dogs (although I wouldn't hit any dog), but slapping a dog you don't know is not right, that's why I made the comparison to a stranger reprimanding some body else's child, the parent will become annoyed, just as a dog owner would

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I don't think we'll agree on this, I've stated that I don't condone the lack of responsibility from the owner, I would never let my dog from its lead to cause havoc on a site, however having ascertained that the dog is friendly this act of slapping the dog is not an act of defence, judging by the fact that he had enough time to slap the dog in mid air would suggest that the dog didn't bound towards him and jump at him, he also said that's how he deals with his daughter's dogs, fine if you know the dogs (although I wouldn't hit any dog), but slapping a dog you don't know is not right, that's why I made the comparison to a stranger reprimanding some body else's child, the parent will become annoyed, just as a dog owner would
OK, we probably won't agree but let's say just for a moment that a "slap" is not acceptable if it has been ascertained that the dog is friendly.
What do I (or others who have posted in similar vein) do though? It doesn't matter whether a dog jumping up is friendly or not, it is a potential danger. I might not know the dog but I do know that unless I take whatever action is necessary to deter it then it will probably do me harm. Why should I not defend myself from that harm?

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
OK, we probably won't agree but let's say just for a moment that a "slap" is not acceptable if it has been ascertained that the dog is friendly.
What do I (or others who have posted in similar vein) do though? It doesn't matter whether a dog jumping up is friendly or not, it is a potential danger. I might not know the dog but I do know that unless I take whatever action is necessary to deter it then it will probably do me harm. Why should I not defend myself from that harm?

If a dog happens to bound playfully up to you and jumps up, you fold your arms and turn your back towards it.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If a dog happens to bound playfully up to you and jumps up, you fold your arms and turn your back towards it.
And have the backs of my clothes covered in asthma causing dog hairs rather than the front? How am I supposed to know it is being playful anyway?
It's about time some dog owners stopped being in denial and accepted that they have responsibilities to keep to.

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013

The best thing is to ignore the dog, don't engage face on with it, turn away from it, very unlikely the dog will even bother with you because it's looking for someone to engage with it, if you try slapping a vicious dog that's got loose from somewhere there's a good chance you'll make the situation worse and dogs are a lot quicker and more agile than we are, chances are you'll come off worse.
I feel for you regarding the asthmatic problem, I'm asthmatic but my issue is dust, which is a nightmare being a carpenter/ joiner, so I have every sympathy for you

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
And have the backs of my clothes covered in asthma causing dog hairs rather than the front? How am I supposed to know it is being playful anyway?
It's about time some dog owners stopped being in denial and accepted that they have responsibilities to keep to.

No, because the act of turning will discourage the dog from jumping.

I can assure you that I am not in denial, I have said all along that I do not condone dogs being let loose and jumping up. Don't assume that I am an irresponsible dog owner. I am far from it.

It's quite easy to find information on the internet regarding the body language of dogs. If I had such a debilitating disease, I would have read up on it.

Clearly, there are irresponsible dogs owners out there....as well as irresponsible non dog owners. In this day and age, it's human nature, sadly.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
The best thing is to ignore the dog...........................

No! The best thing to do is for dog owners to keep their animals under control and out of other people's faces (or take the consequences).

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
No! The best thing to do is for dog owners to keep their animals under control and out of other people's faces (or take the consequences).

Good God, I'm saying this as a bit of advice for somebody who has a dog charging at them, I'm STILL not condoning letting a dog loose

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Water off a duck's back old boy! Last week I was called a racist! :rofl:

Racist, bully, teacher with 3 months holidays, probably a dog owning agnostic cyclist to boot.

Bad lot altogether, that one?
:rofl:

Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
Racist, bully, teacher with 3 months holidays, probably a dog owning agnostic cyclist to boot.

Bad lot altogether, that one?
:rofl:
Cyclist! Wash your mouth out! Ok, I do have a bicycle but haven't ridden it in 10 years! Gonna be a hell of a shock to the system taking them on our new bike rack! Don't laugh at me at Chester!!!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I still have a few regular walkers on the reserve who blank me for suggesting to one of them that they might like to offer to pay for the cleaning of my trousers, that happened 2 years ago

In fairness I only asked in anger, cleaning them is not expensive, but so annoying

The worst I saw was a group of people very well dressed for the location who had a dog jump up a formal black coat, turns out they were coming down to walk where there Dad always came, on their way to his funeral

Owners of dogs that jump up seem to think it is acceptable and nothing to bother about, possibly even funny, well it isn't, I hope these owners are simply too embarrassed to apologise and that they do really understand the angst of the majority

Of course a lot of folk are also too embarrassed to make an issue when they have been jumped up, so the owner gets the impression it doesn't matter

Well it does to me

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
That goes without saying, but the question was asked about a loose dog scenario.
If the dog is loose and annoying/worrying/upsetting/threatening someone then the owner must accept that people will take action to deter the animal and that action may well be physical.
Stop blaming the "victim" - if you keep a dog, or any other animal, it's totally your responsibility to keep it under control - or take the consequences.
It seems that you can shoot a dog if it's threatening, or appears to be threatening, sheep but not slap a dog if it's threatening a human.
This whole issue is solved if dog keepers keep their animals under control.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

I can assure you that I am not in denial, I have said all along that I do not condone dogs being let loose and jumping up. Don't assume that I am an irresponsible dog owner. I am far from it.

It's quite easy to find information on the internet regarding the body language of dogs. If I had such a debilitating disease, I would have read up on it.

Clearly, there are irresponsible dogs owners out there....as well as irresponsible non dog owners. In this day and age, it's human nature, sadly.

I don't want to discourage dogs from jumping up; I want to stop them. We don't all share a love of dogs so as the owner, you are responsible for its actions so please don't get upset if others use whatever action they feel is necessary to keep dogs away from them.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The best thing is to ignore the dog, don't engage face on with it, turn away from it
And how are people - especially young children - supposed to know that?
Poppycock. I have already said that I take precautions to avoid danger but if danger is thrust upon me that is the responsibility of the perpetrator. Again, how is a young child supposed to "read up on it"?

At the end of the day it is the irresponsible owner's fault and the consequences result from their actions.

Last edited:

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
If the dog is loose and annoying/worrying/upsetting/threatening someone then the owner must accept that people will take action to deter the animal and that action may well be physical.
Stop blaming the "victim" - if you keep a dog, or any other animal, it's totally your responsibility to keep it under control - or take the consequences.
It seems that you can shoot a dog if it's threatening, or appears to be threatening, sheep but not slap a dog if it's threatening a human.
This whole issue is solved if dog keepers keep their animals under control.

I shall repeat myself again....I totally accept full reponsibility for my animals. What I will not accept, is physical abuse of an animal by a person that think it's perfectly acceptable to "clout" a dog around it's ears when the dog jumps up to greet him. And, in this instance, being a family members dog with no risk of injury to the human.
I am NOT condoning jumping up. The owner of the dog should train the dog not to jump up.

I have also had issues with other dog owners that think it is perfectly acceptable to have their loose dogs approach my dogs, whilst on their leads. I ask them politely to keep their dogs away. If they don't, I remove myself from the situation. I'm not prepared to risk injury to my dogs.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
The best thing is to ignore the dog
The best thing would be to keep the dog leashed, and away from other people! You can tell from yards away if someone is nervous about an approaching dog. If your dog is as well trained and obedient as you say it is, then whistle it back, and leash it. Simple.
The thing that has cropped up a few times in this thread, (unfortunately), are comments from co-respondents like "They dont like dogs, well tough on them". No dog owner has the God given right to impose his or her dog on another person! This is so easy to fix! You see someone approaching, they look nervous? Clip the dog.
I have noticed of late that SOME dog owners walking with unleashed dogs are more interested in texting then watching what their animal is up to. :(

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
That goes without saying, but the question was asked about a loose dog scenario.
And the answers were about loose dogs.

Dave Newell mentioned his previous dog earlier. I never had a problem with Dexter because he was always under control. Similarly with Jim's dog at Newark last week. Likewise never a problem with dogs owned by Funsters who keep them on a lead - without exception they take even more care when they are aware of my asthma.

No problem at all with responsible owners.

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
And how are people - especially young children - supposed to know that?

That's what parents are for? Educating their children and keeping them safe?? You tell them the risks of speaking to strangers, you tell them not to approach strange dogs and turn away from a loose dog.
There will always be the exception but it's a simple rule to follow.

Poppycock. I have already said that I take precautions to avoid danger but if danger is thrust upon me that is the responsibility of the perpetrator. Again, how is a young child supposed to "read up on it"?

At the end of the day it is the irresponsible owner's fault and the consequences result from their actions.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The owner of the dog should train the dog not to jump up.
Agreed. If, then, a dog does jump up it is because the owner has failed in his/her responsibility. If a consequence of that failure is that the victim of the jumping has to take physical measures to prevent potential injury that is the responsibility of the owner not the victim.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
That's what parents are for? Educating their children and keeping them safe?? You tell them the risks of speaking to strangers, you tell them not to approach strange dogs and turn away from a loose dog.
There will always be the exception but it's a simple rule to follow.
Poppycock again. None of us can avoid our responsibilities simply by transferring them to somebody else.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back