insurance help from a newbie! (1 Viewer)

narrowboatjaks

Free Member
Nov 2, 2014
Burton Hastings
Funster No
MH
rapido
Exp
17yrs
Hi all, has anyone ever claimed for curtailment of road trip? You will not be live our story, went to Spain last year in a converted vw van no facilities to speak of with 2 staffies, loved it upgraded to a 2002 rapido had full service and new cambelt before we left, 1 hour into trip in France drive belt went, the garage who did the work did not tighten the bolts up! Bent the valves we are awaiting the mh to come home to have a engine rebuild! Breakdown insurance got us back but will personal insurance cover other costs? Vet bills, food ruined, stress etc. We have no work as have give up our jobs, and are now spending holiday money. All thoughts on this would be great, jaks

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
So sorry to read that Jaks, thats a nightmare think I would be handing the bill for everything to the people who done your cambelt, wish you well with it.

Eric

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
that is not good, i hope it works out well for you. as a matter of interest who are you insured with on the motorhome.

cant see you house contents insurance paying up but your motorhome insurance will have a section on personal items. as for vet bills that is likely to be covered by your pet insurance ours is for emergency items.

good luck.

OP
OP
narrowboatjaks

narrowboatjaks

Free Member
Nov 2, 2014
Burton Hastings
Funster No
MH
rapido
Exp
17yrs
Many thanks for your reply, we are insured by sure term, who arranged recovery, put us up in a hotel for 2 nights as on the first night we did not want to leave the mh. (In the hope it could be repaired).They provided taxis to and from the van because in all the stress we forgot the dog passports, food in fridge etc, taxis to and from the vets. On Friday morning a Folkstone taxi picked us and dogs from Boulogne to take us through the tunnel to Dover, where we collected a hire car for the journey back to Leicester. I can tell you it was very distressing like being in a homeless hostel with loads of bin bags full of our belongings. I just wondered if it had happened to anyone else as we have separate personal insurance, which covers delay and curtailment, I wondered if anyone knows what it means? Its with the nationwide plus building society, thanks

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
Jaks your insurance co sounds like they have been very good up to now, lets hope it continues,

Eric

OP
OP
narrowboatjaks

narrowboatjaks

Free Member
Nov 2, 2014
Burton Hastings
Funster No
MH
rapido
Exp
17yrs
We are more than miffed, we rang them straight away they asked how many miles we had done, 240 they admitted liability straight away. They even offered to collect it from France or pay to have it repaired in France but as it is such a big job we wanted it to come home. We do know the owners which somehow makes it worse as they knew it was such a big trip for us. He even showed hubby the old cam belt and said it would of been ok, but better to be safe than sorry. A older mechanic did the job not a young kid, but human error etc!

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Sorry to hear about your disaster but the same thing happened to us a few years ago the insurance co. refused to get us home and we had to stay in Dieppe for a week whilst new engine was fitted the cost was over 8500 euros plus, the garage I had the work done before our trip didnt want to know so the best of luck but sounds like the kind of news that you want to hear so far.

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
on reading Martin Lewis website yesterday it states that if anything you bought was put on a visa/mastercard over ÂŁ100 and is faulty then that and any other associated costs can be refunded under Section 75. If the garage won't do this then make a claim to your card provider stating this Section. That's my understanding of your problem and can be researched further on his site.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We had a Vacuum (Exhauster) Pump go on our way back from Spain this year. Rock hard brake pedal and no engine stop. We were picked by RAC Commercial (AVIVA through Comfort) and taken to a commercial (Scania)garage in Teruel. We were able to leave the van on hook-up inside over the pit so the food kept OK. Packed a bag and spent 4 nights in total in a Spa Hotel almost opposite. Popped in daily to check progress and enjoyed a Spa session on day. They stripped the pump off and ordered a new one from Mercedes. Got the van back and have now claimed our accommodation costs. Since this repair the old girl is going better than ever.

OP
OP
narrowboatjaks

narrowboatjaks

Free Member
Nov 2, 2014
Burton Hastings
Funster No
MH
rapido
Exp
17yrs
Its nice to hear the good stories, our insurance were fantastic, hotel they found was more hostel but we do have 2 staffies. The update on the UK garage who said they would take full responsibility is they are starting to wriggle !!

shano118

Free Member
Feb 16, 2015
west sussex
Funster No
MH
buying one soon
Exp
Hi, just been on comfort insurance to get a quote .. 886 pounds .. Seem a bit rich.??

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i am with comfort and that is extremely high almost 3 times my insurance and that includes EU Breakdown cover. you must have special circumstances / mapped engine, or lots of mods.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back