I am a wally and motorhome security (1 Viewer)

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
well I feel a right wally I locked my self out today
I must have moved inside locking handle on habitation door and closed it with keys inside van
5 minutes swearing 5 minutes sulking 5 minutes thinking

5 minutes to break into van using 1 peace of bailer band a 1 foot plastic ruler
And opened side window to climb through to open door

It's a joke no wonder vans get knicked so often

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
When I couldn't open my van due due to flat battery and using additional door locks on driver and passenger doors, it took the breakdown man less than two minutes to open my bathroom window, certainly an eye opener. :unsure:

Reactions: SMB

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Locked myself out on a site. Luckily locker was unlocked. I had to empty it, climb in lift the bed mattress and base up and crawl up though that. Completely freaked the cat out, who ran and hid in the shower room.

Last edited:

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I have a cargo strap which I used to leave strapped to the interior cabin door handles, when I left the van on quiet aires, as additional security. That was until the hab door lock broke and couldn't be opened from the inside. It got me thinking about how I would have got back in if the outside lock had broken instead. Now only used at night!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
That is true, but the harder I make it for them to get in the better. And with any luck, the additional time it took then to get in and nick stuff would find me strolling around the corner and catching them inside. No stairs for them to fall down unfortunately :whistle:

LilacMoss

Free Member
Jan 10, 2015
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Looking again....
Exp
Im a newbie...since Sept 14
This thread hs seriously got me athinking...well as a dogless & somewhat deaf traveller I think I need one of these guys.........
images

Time to break out the previously used Tootle hunting gun, methinks......

View attachment 57673

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Visible deterrents MAY persuade a potential thief to try someone else's vehicle, alarms MAY alert others to a break in. Truth is thieves don't care what damage they do, they do it quick and bugger off quick. Most of us do not think like thieves. Most vehicles can be entered quite easily (although advertising how you did it on an open internet forum may not be the brightest move), if they were really secure the RAC/AA/Green Flag and every other recovery agency would have lots of unhappy customers who had accidentally locked their keys inside.

D.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Last August, a friend locked herself out of her VW T5. It defeated all normal attempts to get in and the method actually used amazed me. Took quite a time, though.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Visible deterrents MAY persuade a potential thief to try someone else's vehicle, alarms MAY alert others to a break in. Truth is thieves don't care what damage they do, they do it quick and bugger off quick. Most of us do not think like thieves. Most vehicles can be entered quite easily (although advertising how you did it on an open internet forum may not be the brightest move), if they were really secure the RAC/AA/Green Flag and every other recovery agency would have lots of unhappy customers who had accidentally locked their keys inside.

D.

I fear most toe rags have detailed info on how to break in and as you say a damaged vehicle makes no odds to most of them, but if they want to steal for resale .....

I don't know if it still applies but we locked keys inside a 1997 Terrano, RAC turn out, get out a file and see remove side repeater clover, short something to something and ping all the doors unlocked, it probably applies to similar aged coach builts

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
And yet houses seem to have gone the other way. Years ago I didn't worry if I locked myself out of the house, I could always find a way back in. Not anymore, short of smashing a window.

OP
OP
Peter & Elaine
Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
And yet houses seem to have gone the other way. Years ago I didn't worry if I locked myself out of the house, I could always find a way back in. Not anymore, short of smashing a window.
I have got that coverd both next door neighbours have spare key as we have theirs
So I have hidden a hab door key outside van after applying a little grease and bagging it
As they say once bitten twice shy

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We once had a car that locked us out regularly, Alan got quite adept at breaking into it, metal coat hangers were the best tool. The car dealers eventually managed to fix it.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Locked myself out on a site. Luckily locker was unlocked. I had to empty it, climb in lift the bed mattress and base up and crawl up though that. Completely freaked the cat out, who ran and hid in the shower room.
Been there,done that (y) Portugal couple of yrs ago.

Attachments

• breaking_into_the_van [800x600].jpg
    breaking_into_the_van [800x600].jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 14
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
[QUOTE="Peter & Elaine,
So I have hidden a hab door key outside van after applying a little grease and bagging it
As they say once bitten twice shy[/QUOTE]

Exactly the same as me, spare key attached somewhere on the chassis in plastic bag (hope I remember where when the time comes)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back