Brompton bikes.. who has one ? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I'd go for the six speed version but not bother about the -12% (we only had the gears lowered because of limited range on the 3 speed model.

thanks..

just realised that the 6 speed version has the same 3 speed hub with two external Derailleur gears .. which frankly I'm not that keen on.. decisions decisions..

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
thanks..

just realised that the 6 speed version has the same 3 speed hub with two external Derailleur gears .. which frankly I'm not that keen on.. decisions decisions..

Read the road tests, they are well respected and very reliable........:D

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
There are NO alternatives that are as portable, nice to fold AND nice to ride............. I would happily forego my Hybrid, but the Brompton?? it's a keeper (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
People go touring on them too:
Broken Link Removed

They are also useful if you want to go touring somewhere exotic as they will fit in a suitcase with a lot less hassle than a bike fitted with S&S couplings and a great deal less hassle than flying with a complete bike, which I have done a few times and bare the scars. You can also take then easily on the TGV. None of which things Jim might want to do but I've read enough accounts of adventures with these bikes to know they are serious machines with passionate owners. Made in Britain as well - or almost all of it.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I have a black 2006 P3 model, that still looks new. It's a 3 speed with funny 2 storey handlebars and the latest rear frame clip and Brompton lights.
It's brilliant. No problem riding on gravel, our driveway is 1/4 mile long and all gravel, I haven't fallen off yet. I have ridden it on quite a few 20 mile + trips and it's easy. Don't listen to people who say they are for short trips only.
We take it in the van, folded under one of the side sofas and use it to search out local boulangeries when staying on aires.
As to never selling them. I am. But only because I have a leccy bike now and am getting lazy.......
Allan

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Don't listen to people who say they are for short trips only.

thanks for your post.. and like most topics, there are lots of armchair 'experts' who have plenty of advice with little no experience .. there are some good youtube clips of people who take them on long trips.. I only had a test ride and was impressed how well it cycled.. it felt easier and lighter than my Specialized Hardrock .. of course it's not a mountain bike.. but we don't do proper mountain biking.. a canal path is as rough as it gets, too old for that nonesense.. .. :LOL:

selling yours won't be a problem.. they fetch good money on ebay.. but you may regret it..
we are specifying our own and buying new..

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
just off the phone to the bank manager :LOL:
My sister and her partner bought new ones 15 years ago, they are still going strong and are well used for long rides occasionally.
As you say, they hold their price and this time of year, lots of people are thinking about buying one so used prices are fairly high.
Allan

Lindacarole

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta Van
Exp
Now a year !
We both have Brompton's as they each fit in a large plastic box and fit neatly in the garage of our van. That way we don't ned a bike rack on the back. I find them easy and comfortable to ride, we have used them on cinder tracks and they were ok, but you could not use them off road I would say. To me they feel like a large bike to ride and I would recommend them, well balanced, and once you have mastered the fold great.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I have ridden both a normal Brompton & a Nano & was very impressed by both. They are much better to ride than anyone expects by just looking at them.

In the end I went for an Airnimal Joey, because it fitted my requirements better at the time. If I was buying again today, I would probably go for the Brompton, because my requirements have changed a bit.

Both excellent bits of kit.

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
I have one. I always wanted one but could never really justify the purchase price for something I'd use only occasionally.

Then, unfortunately, my Uncle died and I ended up with his Brompton. I used T-Cut to remove some matt-black, hand-painted, paint job to reveal "Shocking Pink" (well actually a pink and black blotchy result). My friends all tell me to leave it alone, it's unique apparently. Here's PABBB (Pink And Black Blotchy Brompton).

They are great to ride as long as you get the correct gearing option for your riding (PABBB was geared too low for my liking, I've since replaced the Chainring with a larger one and it's much improved). It's an M3, a 3-speed Hub gear, fine for me (but I consider myself a strong cyclist). Given unlimited budget I'd get the S6 (6 speed with sportier handlebar position) with Titanium options.

I know someone who cycled 800 miles in 4 days on one so don't believe you can't cover miles on a Brommie. They ride amazingly well because, despite folding small, they have a longer wheelbase than some bikes which don't fold as small (Bromtons have a tri-fold, not the more usual bi-fold).

They make the best city explorer I can possibly think of. You don't lock them up, you take them into the cafe with you. They fit under the table.

I owned a Dahon DH7 (7 speed Hub gear) but I sold it because I didn't like the way it folded or the resultant folded size. It's not something you could take into cafe or building in the same, unobtrusive, way. It didn't, in my opinion, ride any better either.

Also, something rarely mentioned, is the sublime way Bromptons carry luggage on the front Quick-Release block. I have the smallest "Mini-O" bag for keys, wallet, phone..etc but you can get large touring bags which utilise the same block. Since the weight is carried directly by the frame and not the (turning) handlebars it really doesn't affect the handling much.
Previous posts have shown that some people really load Brommies up to the hilt.

Yes, they can be a bit "Boingy" due to the rear suspension but you can buy harder suspension rubbers (I never did, it's fine really).

My Rating - 10/10. British and still the best. If you want the very smallest folded package that still rides unexpectedly well.. Brompton.

QKBM8M_kFpaZdePcijTLrloU8xO1LoFEMwHhmEd7wj3D6Qo2ZU_dNmhxGZMHcRTu4CP8C8KT-04ZrzOcSZiqLmFKD-YAEtPerZQloQs6aSZ-Wx5NBgyG6mflaCPShtKYb_etbhyqcDhSJI0TKzyBO3pM4uztxWl4e2Plg3MiMhkhfdSWcdblZ1yWDSTKk1RvjitJVLlHgmaeJxRaQxr7L6HyDfS2hoey4RF0NiSkK_VjYyqktFyK1DCUKxAWoyW1kQ2y2XqBeHJ1xBvYtpEaS5JXgqIc7hV_g1vIaqUeUlS4XqX26b2mW8xLhKOqS-B4fq5AZI7koOeJ6QsbsHwOfp258K-HzhodId-rJkp7zrW4zHD5uAyamQshK6vXhzd0i4Y4dbhZWH3QkPvjMXxWCcQgylz_QSc8JCswvHyFL37DyZt57qJkLF1XayRQNwysvXL6wtyxHlowK6V3uAMdTE60NmFlkHkw6qJUd5amk7QNk2Bb95yVN57U_MKyNfhgk3SLCKWaJ4iR8Rupcy__1wolim_Ihwmc4tAIipkRp5kbVMA1CpVUX2WUpAw0szE3bEY69_lawGaE103YosQxbcSOScQPspo=w1539-h955-no

Last edited:

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
A great read!!
I forgot to mention that. with a little practice, you can fold them in 10 seconds and unfold them in 10 seconds. It's worth practising, just for the amazed looks you get in Costa Coffee.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I forgot to mention that. with a little practice, you can fold them in 10 seconds and unfold them in 10 seconds. It's worth practising, just for the amazed looks you get in Costa Coffee.
I'm sold ,what with you and @Techno extolling their virtues I want one but I'd need an electric one!!

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
Here's the guy from New York shop, NYCE Wheels, whose videos sold me on the Brompton.

And this discussing the Electricfied Brommie.. do not watch with your credit card handy.

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
Don't like small wheels, this is my Kalkhoff Include premium belt
SPECIFICATION

kalkhoff-bikes.com
Technical changes of the components and errors excepted.

Frame Impulse Evo V1, Aluminium
Fork Suntour NCX-D EB, Magnesium, blockierbar
Engine Impulse Evo 36 V / 250 W, mit Shift-Sensor Technologie
Display Impulse Evo Smart, mit Bluetooth und USB Ladebuchse
Battery Impulse Evo, Li-Ion 36 V / 17 Ah 125mile range
Brakes Shimano M396, hydraulische Scheibenbremse
Brake lever Shimano M396
Cassette Gates Belt Drive
Rear derailleur Shimano Nexus
Shifter Shimano Nexus, Drehgriff
Crankset Kalkhoff Impulse Multitooth, Aluminium
Gear ratio vorne: 46, hinten: 22
Handlebar Concept EX Metrostyle
Stem Concept SL, einstellbar
Saddle Selle Bassano Feel GT
Seatpost Patent MCU, gefedert
Hubs vorne: Shimano Deore, hinten: Shimano Nexus Disc, 8-Gang
Rims Concept EX, geöst
Tires Schwalbe Marathon, 40-622
Headlight Concept EX Pro, 80 Lux LED mit Tagfahrlicht
Backlight Trelock LS 611
Carrier Concept EX System L, Aluminium

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
A guarantee to have my husband in absolute crying fits of laughter is to try and unfold and fold up my Brompton. Really lovely to ride but don't use it enough to have got very fast at the unfold and fold thingy!!! Bought it to use in the Motorhome and it was very successful until our cocker spaniel came along and we take him everywhere - bikes and walking dogs (well cocker spaniels!) doesn't mix well :)

Spanishsteve

Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
I bought one on my works 'Ride to Work' scheme, not that I ever did but did use it for part of the journey then commute by train. I'm glad I bought it, it's hardly used at the moment but still worth lots.
They are a quality item.

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
I bought one on my works 'Ride to Work' scheme, not that I ever did but did use it for part of the journey then commute by train. I'm glad I bought it, it's hardly used at the moment but still worth lots.
They are a quality item.
Good point. If you buy 2nd hand for, let's say £600, then it really won't depreciate at all from that point if you look after it.
Used 6 spd Brommies (M6 for example) tend to bottom out at £600-£700. It's a bike you can buy 2nd hand risk-free (providing you buy from a reputable person).

I expect having a pink & black blotchy paint job like mine may knock a few quid off though.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Don't like small wheels, this is my Kalkhoff Include premium belt
SPECIFICATION

kalkhoff-bikes.com
Technical changes of the components and errors excepted.

Frame Impulse Evo V1, Aluminium
Fork Suntour NCX-D EB, Magnesium, blockierbar
Engine Impulse Evo 36 V / 250 W, mit Shift-Sensor Technologie
Display Impulse Evo Smart, mit Bluetooth und USB Ladebuchse
Battery Impulse Evo, Li-Ion 36 V / 17 Ah 125mile range
Brakes Shimano M396, hydraulische Scheibenbremse
Brake lever Shimano M396
Cassette Gates Belt Drive
Rear derailleur Shimano Nexus
Shifter Shimano Nexus, Drehgriff
Crankset Kalkhoff Impulse Multitooth, Aluminium
Gear ratio vorne: 46, hinten: 22