Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Ex ambulance
Exp
I had similar problems on my Mitsubushi Pajero
I removed ABS unit
The MOT man was happy with that
The insurance industry surveyed the accident rate on 5000 cars with ABS and 5000- without---the accident rate was similar for both
ABS should not be used in snow and ice
On many cars you can switch ABS off
On better cars it switches off automatically in event of icy conditions

Aug 19, 2010
trawden lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi i have not read all posts forgive me if i am repeating other posts, any dash light is an instant fail ours failed last year, big problem said a garage guy on his computer ABS not responding you have seen it on TV the computer says NO the FUSE had blown cost £220 to fix a fuse!!!! the operator's starts relying on the computer he has 40 years of mechanicing experience!
If it is the abs unit has gone these can be sent away and serviced at a cost of approximately £250 I can not help with an address we are in Portugal
john

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Ok, so main dealers no longer have to spend £5000 plus on a dedicated Manufacturer code reader.
most codes other than generic engines codes are specific to every manufacturer.....the same code can mean different things to different cars.
the ONLY reader capable of reading chassis/brake codes on my Chrysler is a factory programmed STAR-TEC unit.....and most, if not all, marque's are the same.
All the generic readers look only at the engine ECU. If (as is the norm) the ABS, safety systems, and other, services have their own ECUs a generic reader cannot see them. Manufacturers are compelled to standardise only some of the connections to the diagnostic socket. Others were left free for their own use. The whole point of standardisation was to allow independent garages to continue to offer their services across a range of vehicles and manufacturers without needing to access the manufacturers systems. But the EU cocked it up - as ever.

OP
OP
jockaneezer
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
All sorted today ! Tried to do a resistance check on the sensors after watching some Youtube clips, sugested resistance between 1 and 1.5 k ohms, mine all showed 1 meg :eek:. Looking further into it, I think this check works for passive sensors but not active ones, but I'm still not sure which ones mine are.
Took the van to my mot garage but he said his computer struggles with Renault codes and recommended another garage who couldn't fit me in till the 19th. Went to the Renault truck dealership who put it on the computer and diagnosed a faulty offside front sensor, they offered to sort it out for £150 but I just got them to supply a sensor, came to £94 for the diagnosis and the sensor. 15 minute job to fit the new sensor and after I'd driven about 100 yards, the ABS and SERV lights reset themselves (y)

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Glad you sorted it out. Nice feeling when the lights go out and STAY OUT.
Thanks for responding, some people ask but never tell us how they got on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back