Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I cant find a definitive answer on the Tunnel web site

If you wanted to arrive and sleep, can you get through the barriers say 7 hours before your crossing, or will they bar you from entering?

We have arrived a couple of hours early on a few occasions you then get options to travel between then and your due crossing often at extra cost, so I might hope you can just pick your original crossing time and park up

I have a fear of being turned away and directed back onto the M20 if much too early

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Short answer is no you can't.

If you want to keep to your scheduled train time you can't check in (go through the barriers) more than 2 hours early. If you are earlier than that it will offer you alternatives one of which you have to accept. If you're very very early it may well charge you.

There's a services at junction 11 where you could park up though. I'm sure I noticed last time we went a signpost directing "Tunnel Early Arrivals" into there. The tunnel junction is 11A, it's only about 5 minutes from the services to the barriers.

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
Short answer is no you can't.

There's a services at junction 11 where you could park up though. I'm sure I noticed last time we went a signpost directing "Tunnel Early Arrivals" into there. The tunnel junction is 11A, it's only about 5 minutes from the services to the barriers.
Yes there is, BUT, as with most service areas, if you stay more than a limited period you will be subject to a charge. NO, I didn't say "a fine"

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I am thinking mainly of the English side, I have been hours early on the French side and just sat and waited using their free wifi, which I don't think you get on this side

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Yes there is, BUT, as with most service areas, if you stay more than a limited period you will be subject to a charge. NO, I didn't say "a fine"

Probably yes. Never been there myself. The one time we've been massively early we paid Eurotunnel's extra charge and travelled early.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

Thanks, but I would rather pay to travel early than pay to park in a UK service area, principle mainly :)

M

Madwife

Deleted User
We stayed at the service area last year and my advice is don't! It was a waste of money and probably better to arrive early at the Eurotunnel and pay them the money if necessary to get an earlier train. We have arrived early, as in at least three hours before our booked train and never yet have been charged to get an earlier train.

Kath

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
When we were charged extra we were about 14 hours early (don't ask!) so couldn't really complain.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
As Nic has stated 2 hours early max is allowed unless you coff up any charges for changes ( there may not be any ). you take an earlier train or drive away.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Last December we arrived at the tunnel 5hrs early just accepted an earlier train 1 hour earlier than booked, ( 4 hour wait ) parked up till called, no problem

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
We have had a selection of experiences of turned up early
  • changed no extra charges
  • extra charges on some crossings to select, not on others (read the check in screen carefully)
  • changed and paid the difference
  • no other crossing available (to be fair this is often at the calais end in peak summer)
You can change online (depending on booking) or by phone 24 hours in advance, which again we have done

I would rather be on the other side, in france and option to get going a bit further than waiting in UK
I wish they did flexi plus for motorhomes - we always travelled that way with the car, and I was happy to pay for the option

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I would rather be on the other side, in france and option to get going a bit further than waiting in UK
I wish they did flexi plus for motorhomes - we always travelled that way with the car, and I was happy to pay for the option

We have just booked the frequent traveller option, although we opted not to take the flexi option I did not see any restrictions if we had, although in fairness at the point of booking you are only prebooking a car, when you specify the time of crossing you then confirm vehicle / dog etc

But the premium charge for flexi looked bonkers, nearly three times the price, might as well book another crossing on the frequent user and take that, losing the original booking if needs be :)

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
But the premium charge for flexi looked bonkers, nearly three times the price, might as well book another crossing on the frequent user and take that, losing the original booking if needs be
Agree - but until this year we have been school holidays, peak times and not had the luxury of a motorhome to stop off en route if early/late, but have had to bat it back from south of france, which can take anywhere between 6 and 14 hours depending on the traffic. We had to guarantee a crossing back to get the kids back to school the next day/in time for exam results etc. I am all for extending my holidays for as long as possible

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Thanks, but I would rather pay to travel early than pay to park in a UK service area, principle mainly :)

David I have been researching for my trip. Come off at Tunnel slip then take the A20 back along the way you have come to a roundabout, take a right towards Etchinghill, ok. About 800 yds along there is a sleepy spot on your right, you'd back into a track leading to what looks like a farmers livestock loading pens, he is unlikely to be using it. Also if not happy, then about 200/300 yds further along on the same road there is an opening in the hedge with a cattle grid and a very lovely sleepy spot ! (y) access to a disused MOD radio place I think.

Google street map it. Don't leave litter as I want to use it :whistle:

Sep 2, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
We were going to the park and ride in Canterbury last year and got there to late. Didn't know where to go but ended up on the B2068 Stone st, Look on Google earth and the road is dead straight for miles. There are quite a few lay bye's, bits of old rd. We stayed over night on one, ok pulled up after 10pm and left next morning 6.30am but served the purpose. Didn't have to pay and got to the tunnel for an early train.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
But the premium charge for flexi looked bonkers, nearly three times the price, might as well book another crossing on the frequent user and take that, losing the original booking if needs be :)

Unbelievable isn't it ? I'd like someone to explain to me how they work it out.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
didn't think you could go anywhere from the slip road but the tunnel

joe

Sorry you are correct (y) It is the turn off for the A20 that I was looking at. Right next to the terminal so caught me out, funny enough google won't let me drive down that A20 exit, but it is there !

The turn off for the Chunnel is the next exit. So easy for early morning departure which is what I have booked ! :)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Unbelievable isn't it ? I'd like someone to explain to me how they work it out.

But in fairness the frequent traveller option is possibly over generous, £54 each way for campervan if you travel between 16:00 and 06:00, at least £80 cheaper than I can book it direct with them as a one off trip

but no real answer to the flexi pricing

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Canterbury park and ride £3 cant go wrong BUT a friend of mine has often arrived very early for crossing either gets on early train at no extra cost or they allow him to kip in waiting area. I assume by the services/shops my experience of showing up early is get options to travel early at extra cost but always a free option too, press this option and your be directed to shops bit but carry on and go round chances are you will be on next train this has happened to me twice.

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
Only once have we had a problem with early arrival at the French end.
Nine times out of ten we go automatic toll but we happened to get there 4 hours before our booked time and it was a late August Tuesday around 3pm. The lanes to the check-ins were clogged and we had to go to a manned booth. She took one look at our details and told us there were no spaces available until our booked slot and there was no room for extra vehicles in the car park - this was in a car not a large mh.
We were told to leave the terminal by the escape route and not come back until 2 hours before departure at the earliest.
So it can happen.

SandT

Free Member
Oct 15, 2012
Malta
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek
Exp
Last time we used the tunnel we arrived just over an hour early and we were charged £10 to get the next train.
It was delayed and we actually left at the same time as our original booking!
Euro tunnel refused to refund the £10 , never used them since!!
No hardship as we love the whole ferry experience.

Terry

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Canterbury park and ride £3 cant go wrong BUT a friend of mine has often arrived very early for crossing either gets on early train at no extra cost or they allow him to kip in waiting area. I assume by the services/shops my experience of showing up early is get options to travel early at extra cost but always a free option too, press this option and your be directed to shops bit but carry on and go round chances are you will be on next train this has happened to me twice.

Thanks PORKSTER, that was more or less my own experience, but to date I have never got to the barrier more than about 3 hours before my due crossing, parking up by the shops to sleep would be a good option (y)

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
There is a @BritStops perfect for the tunnel, but you will all have to buy the book to find out where!
Love britstops, but would rather be at the other side of the channel raring to go. There's a great aire at bergues which is brilliant for late crossing and putting your head down for snoozles and off on the road the next morning

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Love britstops, but would rather be at the other side of the channel raring to go. There's a great aire at bergues which is brilliant for late crossing and putting your head down for snoozles and off on the road the next morning
Same here , can't understand why anyone would want to stop on this side for the sake of twenty minutes you can be parked up at cite europe , contrary to what some say, perfectly safe, for free, ready for the off next morning, stocked up with wine and food from Carrefour.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Same here , can't understand why anyone would want to stop on this side for the sake of twenty minutes you can be parked up at cite europe , contrary to what some say, perfectly safe, for free, ready for the off next morning, stocked up with wine and food from Carrefour.
Wine is cheaper at Lidl's down on the roundabout by the hotels.

Joe

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Wine is cheaper at Lidl's down on the roundabout by the hotels.

Joe
Better still(y):) but the point is, why stop here for twenty quid , when all you are going to do the next day is catch the train, might as well already be there, no getting up early or owt , just ready to go at your leisure.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Better still(y):) but the point is, why stop here for twenty quid , when all you are going to do the next day is catch the train, might as well already be there, no getting up early or owt , just ready to go at your leisure.

Totally agree - definitely wouldn't stay this side! We always stop at Cite Europe overnight. The new Lidl is on the roundabout by the hotels as you go in. If we're early enough we pop in on the way otherwise we'll go in there before moving off elsewhere.

Joe

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back