Newbie (1 Viewer)

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Barbara welcome from me also, would give you one of the above Welcome Funster waves if I knew how to do it :confused:
Have fun.
Norman.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Welcome. Your problem is not a new one here. Worth trying to decide what you want to do with the MH and how many of are there of you. For example, if you want to go skiing then it probably needs to be a vehicle made in Germany or France. Size may or may not be an issue for you. We like our nimble 6m long panel van but it would be far too small for some.

Phil J.

Free Member
Dec 21, 2014
Clay Cross, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 696
Exp
Hi and Welcome,
We are relative newbies too. When we decided on which motorhome to buy we started with the sleeping arrangements as we felt it was particularly important to get a good nights sleep and I'm 6' 5" so the length of the bed is important. Storage is another big issue and I'm sure most Funsters will tell you there is never enough and ease of access is important.
We have a transverse rear bed over a low garage which works very well for us (07 Autotrail Cheyenne 696) but go round the dealers and have a good look and get a feel for the different layouts to find the best to suit your needs.
Hope this helps
Phil

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Hi and welcome :welc:

Research, research,research.

As others have said, try and decide your requirements.
Fixed beds or lounge areas that make into beds.
Storage.
Showers,toilets etc.
Coachbuilt or van conversion.
The list goes on and on.
Try and view as many styles as possible at dealers or motorhome shows.
Oh, and budget, but beware, many of us end up going over budget (y)

OP
OP
Barbara Hughes

Barbara Hughes

Free Member
Mar 5, 2015
Penrith
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for all the replies folks, will keep you updated as to our progress..........(y)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi and welcome from another Hughes, it's a good idea to workout what layout you want and the. Look at vans within your budget doesn't matter if it's new or secondhand have a good look round showrooms and dealers to get a feel what your after. Also worth posting questions on here might save you a few pound.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
And unfortunately we don't have many dealers in cumbria, so not easy to look around to get a "feel" for a van.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
And unfortunately we don't have many dealers in cumbria, so not easy to look around to get a "feel" for a van.
I think Carlisle caravan center and Dumfries caravan center are the same company and theDumfries branch has quite a few MHs in stock these days.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
A warm :welc: from Wales. This is the very best place to get answers to your questions. Lots of well informed and helpful people on here!(y) Good luck with your search, but don't rush like we did the first time (six vans ago and we just about think we've got it right with the seventh which is being built:D)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
welcome.jpg

I think Border Cars (Carlisle) have an open weekend this weekend. Might be worth going just to look.

We made a list of "must haves", "would like to haves" and "don't wants" which eliminated a few vans. A lot will depend on how you want to use your van, weekends/weeks/long terming and how many of you there are and what your hobbies are.

We bought a van we had seen early on during our search but not until after we had confirmed what we wanted / needed by looking at around 50 other vans (maybe more). :)

The search is part of the fun, don't make a rushed decision and go back several times before you splash the cash if buying from a dealer - or privately.

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Barbara,
Can I just add a thought, once you have decided on the layout you prefer and then start to look at the various vans in your desired layout it is then best to look ONLY at that layout, it is sooooo easy to get distracted from your favourite layout and Bingo, you are back to square one :confused:
Enjoy the hunt it is great fun.

Norman.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hello from Morocco! Only a temporary location but it sounds good!

Van layout is king, everything else is a compromise - age, base vehicle etc. if you get the layout right you will be happy with your van. How to know what layout will suit you it a whole other thing.

No help what so ever but welcome to the forum anyway!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back