We improved our security and Saga have refused to insure us!!! (1 Viewer)

Wobby

Free Member
Aug 26, 2007
Hailsham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2005
That's a lot £840 a year, our van and car come to £414.

Our Exsis costs £252 + £12 for £1000 worth of Audio/Sat cover. Total £264

Be interested to know how you get on, I thought ours was high, but had tried several other company's and they were as much and more.
Both our vehicles are new, well a year old now so will shop around next year when they are worth less.

Wobby

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Be interested to know how you get on, I thought ours was high, but had tried several other company's and they were as much and more.
Both our vehicles are new, well a year old now so will shop around next year when they are worth less.

Wobby
Extensive conversation with broker at last renewal has led me to believe that there is only one value threshold re motorhomes. A choice between more or less than 50K

Dick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

Wobby
Car is 2 years old, Exsis is 9 months old.
I insured the Exsis with NFU for the first month while importing as Comfort don't insure on a VIN plate. NFU premium was £530, like I said over twice the price.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I am sick of insurance companies, and especially saga, who are under new management this last couple of years. I have yo yoed back and forth with them over the years, but the same with some of the others, after quoting sensible one year and rediculous the year after. If the policy has gone up say£30 then I can't be bothered changing, but it's more on the hundreds, so back to the computer for a couple of hours and pick out one of the other well known ones at decent money, usually less than the ones I am leaving were last year. After two years with saga for my old discovery, it has come through double again this year, and no changes to policy. Won't stay with them now even if they alter it to what I paid last. My RV is with Lancaster, and remains fairly stable at just over £300 . Watch, they will go and double it now this year.
Both our cars are insured with Saga, wife's is £101, mine £150 both fully comp, premium goes up every year comes back down with a quick phone call, if I don't get the result I want at first I asked to be put throught to Customer services. It's worked every time for the last few years.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Be very careful with insurance, declare everything and read the small print to make sure you get the cover you really need. A business neighbour's workshop was broken into recently and they nicked a lot of expensive tools and equipment (£10K plus worth) including expensive vehicle specific diagnostic equipment. Because he had not long moved into this workshop he still hadn't got his alarm sorted plus it looks like he was under insured for his tools and equipment (by a factor of about 3). So it looks like he won't get full value of stolen property and that's IF the insurance pay out at all due to no alarm system fitted. The cheapest premium doesn't always get you the best cover.

D.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
We use NFU exclusively for insurance - we all drive land rovers - interestingly under modifications this year they put 'exhaust modified stainless steel' - I queried this and the charge - they seemed to think it was a go faster version - I spent time explaining that the difference between standard and stainless is that it does not rot therefore lasts the life of the vehicle and refers to the material it is made of. Somehow I think they are still scratching their heads over that one. I tried to explain to them that Landies last for ever the first ones were made in 1948 and many are still in use.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We have one of the big handrail types on our hab door. It was there when we bought it. We use it to attach the long dog lead to but never lock it when we go out as it advertises that the van is unoccupied and would be easily wrenched off causing considerable damage.

OP
OP
TPMM
Apr 22, 2012
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Exp
Eight wonderful years!
@TPMM, we told the Caravan Club that we were not willing to pay the £10 renewal fee as we thought it was despicable to penalise loyal customers. They immediately said that they would not charge the £10 and so they got our business for another year.
Many thanks for that tip - Before I posted my thread I had rung the Caravan Club to get a quote for renewal and queried the £10 renewal fee, saying I really didn't think it was appropriate because it penalised loyalty. He asked his manager but said everyone had to pay it, take it or leave it - I left it! When I rang back yesterday to take up insurance with them, I spoke to a different clerk and when I again argued the toss - this time saying that you had had it waived, she spoke to her manager and agreed! BUT - the story gets even sillier because I had initially asked for quotes based on 6000 miles and also 7000. When I rang to agree their terms I was quoted different figures to those previously quoted - £248 cf £208 for 6000 (she said the first clerk had typed in 600 not 6000 - but that doesn't make sense either because for 5000 the quote was £192!) and £251 cf £253 for 7000. It does make you wonder if they simply make up figures!! By that time I was losing the will to live, so having agreed to knock off the £10 renewal fee the premium was £241. (All figures include the £26 legal protection fee - No idea if that's worth having or not - I would love someone to tell me that I really do need it cos I always sign up to it and always wonder if I'm throwing money away!)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
believe me legal protection ALWAYS worth having! you will find out when and if you need it.

Thinking about this a little and going back. the underwriter could well of refused to cover the addition of these lock because of past instances and claims in the notes, either for damage or being locked out (they have a poor reputation for reliability). so lad on the front desk reading parrot fashion from list may not be aware of the full story, just simply the do's and dont's to read from....Ah well thats what I'm kinda thinking...

Anyway before fitting anything check with your insurer

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@Judgemental
As you have probably seen I am following this thread with interest.

Regarding the reports of damage being caused by the Fiamma handle; is there any real evidence of this or is it a case of someone knows someone who once met someone etc.

It seems that if the reports are true then Fiamma are selling a product that they know is not fit for purpose. Although ours is used mainly as an aid for my wife to get in and out of the M/H, it is also marketed as a security device.

It is now common for insurance companies to regard bike racks and wind-out awnings as modifications that must be notified too. Where will it end, carrying a toaster in addition to having a grill.:confused:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Just 25 years experience motorhoming, reading multiple reports of their failure and damaged caused wrenching them off..

I'm far from surprised insurers objected.

How much do these motorhomes cost? Do the job properly and fit deadlocks

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Just 25 years experience motorhoming, reading multiple reports of their failure and damaged caused wrenching them off..

I'm far from surprised insurers objected.

How much do these motorhomes cost? Do the job properly and fit deadlocks
I'm in agreement with you. I was looking at them the other day both in catalogue & on vehicles on display. i wouldn't even entertain one as the leverage you can obtain is colossal. Apart from the " no one's here" when locked.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
As I said earlier I know someone it happened to, their Challenger was parked in City Europe when they came back from shopping found the hab door had been forced open . They stole 20 quids worth of CD's cost over 3 grand to repair the van. the Fiamma handle had been pulled through the wall.

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Hi i had this issue with saga I fitted my solar panel myself on my second MH (having watch the installer on the first one) they asked me for a engineers report my reply was I have been a engineer for 45 years and fitted weighing equipment in £85k lorries does this not make me a competent person answer no needless to say I went to comfort.

Wobby

Free Member
Aug 26, 2007
Hailsham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2005
Now with Saga, their premium for van and car has saved me almost £30 a month plus I now get breakdown cover for Europe. However I notice that the premium includes a 10% intro discount, so I'll have to shop around again nxt year. Still with that kind of saving its more that worthwhile.

Thanks Lennyhb

Wobby

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Read Lenny's earlier post. They are thin aluminium and have a reputation of failing...i.e. unable to get in. Do you really think a desperate man is going to let something so easy to man handle stop him lol

Plus your advertising the fact that van unoccupied?

Fit proper dead locks my advice

Surely a quick glance through the windows will let anyone know there is no one home!!!

Dee 123

Free Member
Jul 6, 2014
Funster No
The world has officially gone mad! In order to improve the security of our motorhome, my current husband, who is very competent at DIY, fitted a Fiamma door lock/handle. When I rang Saga to get a quote for insurance I mentioned this, assuming that better security might result in lower premium. To my utter amazement, the underwriters refuse to insure us (because the vehicle has been "modified") unless we provide an engineer's report that the work has been carried out satisfactorily!!
Alternatively we could remove the device!!!

Fortunately the Caravan Club insurers have not taken this view so we will remain with them - despite their £10 renewal fee which I really object to!

Be warned - maybe you are better off not mentioning such "improvements"!!

Saga are always sending me letters every year with offering me insurance. I rang them a few weeks ago for a quote but was told that my motorhome is not registered with the dvla and must have been imported and could not offer me insurance. Can't understand this cause i bought it from new at camper uk in lincoln, a company i do not recommend. My insurance company at present is with Caravan Guard but are not the cheapest. Looking on the internet, found lifesure.co.uk and was surprised at their quote, saving me well over £100.00 with a lot more cover, with Axa.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
We have the Fiamma lock but as it was on the original spec I regard it as original fitting, Just renewed with Comfort and although we have now moved to a non Cassoa site the premium went up by £20.00 , probably due to Post Code difference, despite the fact that we now have 24/7 presence, security Cameras and night and weekend security patrols! Cassoa is not worth the paper it is written in my opinion. I still think the Aviva Policy with full European Cover is very good value.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
@Judgemental
As you have probably seen I am following this thread with interest.

Regarding the reports of damage being caused by the Fiamma handle; is there any real evidence of this or is it a case of someone knows someone who once met someone etc.

It seems that if the reports are true then Fiamma are selling a product that they know is not fit for purpose. Although ours is used mainly as an aid for my wife to get in and out of the M/H, it is also marketed as a security device.

It is now common for insurance companies to regard bike racks and wind-out awnings as modifications that must be notified too. Where will it end, carrying a toaster in addition to having a grill.:confused:

We often are asked to remove such devices when the owners have lost the keys, or, the thing has been left locked over Winter and seized up

People are shocked how quickly we open them

What people don't realise is that thieves can pick locks, but not ALL thieves can pick locks. However, once you meet someone that it prepared to use force to enter a vehicle, they will not be Lilly livered about it.

I would rather, if force was used on my Motorhome (I'd rather deter them first lol but that is a different argument) However, I'd rather the caravan door lock "pop" and the door opened, than the same jemmy (crow bar) used on the hinge side and the door

The first senario I come back to see the door opened and I would be able to "unlock" the lock and get the door functioning again. We could then carry on with our trip, a little more wary, but still OK

The second senario, would be to find your caravan door laying on the floor!

Trulely expensive to repair and renders the Motorhome off the road.

Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
Whe I purchased my Hobby 600 the hab door has 2 locks on it one incorporated in the plastic door handle and the other a large Yale type dead lock completely separate.
How am I supposed to know if this is a modification or standard German over the top engineering.
Do I need to tell the insurance I modified a broken interior light fitting to a new LED.

Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
The Yale lock was normally fitted by the dealer from memory.
Thanks Eddie.
Unless you're an expert like you how are we meant to know what's standard and what's not when we buy second hand.
Then if you do need to claim the insurers got his get out clause because something that's not standard is fitted and you haven't notified them

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I was with Saga for ages, not the cheapest but fair we thought. Having had my van stolen Saga were very good and paid in full after exactly four weeks.
Thinking of security, on our new van I had a tracker fitted and Saga put UP the premium as we had modified the van!! Regardless of expense, I changed my insurance policy to Shield, with the same cover but £200 cheaper.

Alan

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Wellllll.. What if you buy the van with the device fitted already ?
Are you expected to go track down who fitted it ( could have been years before )
remove the device and risk entry ?
Or be like me.. Total numpty who, as I bought the van with it, accepted that it was part of the original build ?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Could you point me to any of these reports? Thanks

Sorry I can't it was years back, but its pretty well known....both Eddie vanbitz and Lenny offered examples...

You just have to look the lock to see how insubstantial they are...just thin alloy like most bike racks

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Here they normally want photo's. Front ,back, both sides , roof. With a MH I'd throw in interior as well , then there are no arguments.
1) It shows what they are insuring,
2) it shows the vehicle to be undamaged at point of insuring.
Most vehicles are damaged here & are not prepared before sale so any one buying used to wait a while then claim on the insurance. Photo's prevent that now.

Aminthule

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T564
Exp
Since July 2015
Interestingly I was speaking to someone at a MH security/electronics company last Friday and they advised against fitting extra security such as D locks on doors etc. as they can result in thieves doing more damage to the vehicle. They advocate a better alarm with loud sirens to deter thieves. It may be that the modifications cause a jump in insurance because of this additional damage that may be done. Just a thought.......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back