back again.hot water this time (1 Viewer)

Spade

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
dethleffs
Exp
Still a newbie
Hi guys,
As the title says no hot water
I have a trumatic c 3402 with the brown control panel
the heating is working but the hot water won't heat up.
as in the water is cold even when you turn on the hot tap.
the temperature is the same hot or cold.
I tried changing to hot water only, and between 40c and 60c but no joy
Am I after tripping something, or any ideas?
Thanks for any help

Apr 30, 2012
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Exec
Exp
Since 2012
Are you on EHU? If so check the main trip switch. Is this your first trip from winterising? If so check the frost trip has been reset, else it will continue to drain water. Most important don't worry you'll be right. (y) Cheers. Terran

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Spade

Spade

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
dethleffs
Exp
Still a newbie
Hi terran.
not on ehu.
frost switch checked.
I do have water coming from the hot tap but it,s not hot.
I left the heating on for an hour and its not even slightly warm.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Hi terran.
not on ehu.
frost switch checked.
I do have water coming from the hot tap but it,s not hot.
I left the heating on for an hour and its not even slightly warm.

Hi, if you're not on EHU then I'm assuring you're heating by gas? Is your thermostat at the "gas" setting?
Just a thought make sure your external flue cover is removed, otherwise the gas won't ignite for safety reasons when heating water by gas.......

Bill

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
I would echo MHVirgins comments regarding the external flue cover as we experienced this!! Suddenly remembered the handover instructions and whipped the cover off.
Note that taking the cover off did not start the water heater but switching it off and then on again did the trick!

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The Truma C3402 is gas only. Obvious question - is the gas on? Must be yes if heating is working. I would get a gas engineer to look at it as it would appear that the water heating part needs fixing/replacing.

Upvote 0

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
The Truma C3402 is gas only. Obvious question - is the gas on? Must be yes if heating is working. I would get a gas engineer to look at it as it would appear that the water heating part needs fixing/replacing.

Graham, thanks for this useful information, I didn't realise that this particular model was gas only. I was assuming that it was either/or........you know what they say about never assuming:rolleyes:

Bill

Reactions: GJH
Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
This is weird. As far as I know there is one burner, so if the hot air works so does the water heater. If you select hot air you always get hot water. If you select water only it just turns off the blower.

Are you sure you are turning the tap the right way ?

Are waiting at least half an hour ?

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Graham, thanks for this useful information, I didn't realise that this particular model was gas only. I was assuming that it was either/or........you know what they say about never assuming:rolleyes:

Bill
I only know because there is one in our van Bill :D

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
This is weird. As far as I know there is one burner, so if the hot air works so does the water heater. If you select hot air you always get hot water. If you select water only it just turns off the blower.

Are you sure you are turning the tap the right way ?

Are waiting at least half an hour ?
Good point Brian. I've just checked the manual and you're right, there is only a single burner.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Spade

Spade

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
dethleffs
Exp
Still a newbie
Sorry for not replying.
quite cold here at the moment so I dumped all the water in case I did damage to the pipework from it freezing.
eventually I started again from scratch. filled the van and filled the boiler and this time it WORKED.

hot water YIPEE! heating working as well

Honestly don't know what I was doing wrong but at least it is working-thank god

weather freezing again, so drained it just in case. will wait until weather improves and will test it again.

thanks for all the help.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Spade

Spade

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
dethleffs
Exp
Still a newbie
just as an aside, I have read on here that you should hoover/clean the fan on the traumatic 3402 c as it can get clogged up and the heating does not work as well

has anyone done this as I cannot find anything online as to its location or how to do it.

Upvote 0

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Great news! Glad you've got it working again......it's a real b*gger not having hot water.
We take it for granted and are completely lost without it(y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Spade

Spade

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
dethleffs
Exp
Still a newbie
I was sure that i had done damage :cry:

It's a big relief:)

Sometimes it's not great to be a newbie

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
just as an aside, I have read on here that you should hoover/clean the fan on the traumatic 3402 c as it can get clogged up and the heating does not work as well

has anyone done this as I cannot find anything online as to its location or how to do it.

I think the hoover reference would have been as part of a service, a few on here are qualified to do it themselves, a few others do it themselves anyway, a lot don't bother with servicing, the rest of us pay once a year for a habitation service.

It does seem a lot to pay, but what price your safety, not to mention comfort if it helps keep things working, hot water and cold beer for instance (y)

There are not many of us who have not thought something was seriously wrong, only to find a setting wrong somewhere

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

I've just had a look at the manual and can't see any mention of cleaning the fan. It's not something I've done.

EDIT - I agree fully with what David has said about habitation servicing.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Spade

Spade

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
dethleffs
Exp
Still a newbie
I've just had a look at the manual and can't see any mention of cleaning the fan. It's not something I've done.

Hi gjh

I see that you have the same model no.
I am heading to france soon so am just trying to find out as much as i can about the heating.
I did not even know that there was heating in a van, let alone hot water, before we started looking for a van.
I have run the heating but not overnight.

Do you find the heating good from that model and what would you have the thermostat at.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

I thought there was no service schedule for Truma Combi's, according to Truma they don't need servicing, unless the earlier ones are different.

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I thought there was no service schedule for Truma Combi's, according to Truma they don't need servicing, unless the earlier ones are different.
There is no "service schedule" as such in the manual but there are general safety notes and it does make a point of saying that the gas system should be tested every 2 years. All the gas appliances are tested annually as part of our habitation service. That's what I was referring to and what I think David meant.

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi gjh

I see that you have the same model no.
I am heading to france soon so am just trying to find out as much as i can about the heating.
I did not even know that there was heating in a van, let alone hot water, before we started looking for a van.
I have run the heating but not overnight.

Do you find the heating good from that model and what would you have the thermostat at.
We find the unit very easy to use and pretty efficient. Our previous van didn't have blown air heating so we were a little concerned as to what it would take out of the battery but have had no problems in three years of having the van. The solar panel puts back the power taken out. It's also reasonably frugal as far as gas usage goes.

As to thermostat setting, it's whatever we need to feel comfortable. If we get back to the van on a cold day we might turn it up higher initially to warm the van through and then turn it down a bit. It's usually about 4 or 5 I think.

To an extent it will depend on the layout of your van and how well insulated it is. Our Burstner t625 Harmony has a front dinette lounge so we tend to direct the heat there rather than towards the kitchen area in the middle. It's nice to get showered in a warm washroom in the morning though :)

Basically we just played it by ear the first few times we were out. As we bought the van 3 years ago this month those trips included some pretty cold weather :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Spade

Spade

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
dethleffs
Exp
Still a newbie
^^^^^^
thanks for that.
Our controller is graduated in degrees up to 30
I have run the heating for short periods with the controller set at 30.
as you said it depends on the layout.
when you say "you direct heat" do you mean by closing the flaps in the vents or is there more to it than that?
Sorry for all the questions
When you google or youtube the trumatic there is very little info that I can find

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
^^^^^^
thanks for that.
Our controller is graduated in degrees up to 30
I have run the heating for short periods with the controller set at 30.
as you said it depends on the layout.
when you say "you direct heat" do you mean by closing the flaps in the vents or is there more to it than that?
Sorry for all the questions
When you google or youtube the trumatic there is very little info that I can find
Just closing the flaps. Our controller is like the attached photo.
When you were looking did you find the downloadable manuals Here?

Attachments

• truma.jpg
    truma.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 26
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Spade

Spade

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
dethleffs
Exp
Still a newbie
thanks very much for that.
can i ask a long question to confirm what i think i am doing wrong.
on the end of page 4 and the start of page 5 it seems to say that you need to turn on the trumatic as part of the filling up process whilst running the water pump and leaving the hot taps open

I have not been doing that as i thought that it might damage the unit
I have just opened the hot taps and ran the pump.
The water has come out of the taps on and off.

is there a pump in the trumatic as well?

I am not putting it great but hopefully you understand what i mean

Upvote 0

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I was sure that i had done damage :cry:

It's a big relief:)

Sometimes it's not great to be a newbie

Fork, don't worry about that, we were all newbies at some point.......we are learning as we go along, but sometimes we need the help of some of the resident experts on here. Thank goodness for their help when we were away and had a problem with a failing water pump just after the New Year:(

We will still be asking questions for a while yet, thankfully it's not usually too long before someone replies(y)

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
thanks very much for that.
can i ask a long question to confirm what i think i am doing wrong.
on the end of page 4 and the start of page 5 it seems to say that you need to turn on the trumatic as part of the filling up process whilst running the water pump and leaving the hot taps open

I have not been doing that as i thought that it might damage the unit
I have just opened the hot taps and ran the pump.
The water has come out of the taps on and off.

is there a pump in the trumatic as well?

I am not putting it great but hopefully you understand what i mean
The only reason for turning the heater on would be to keep the automatic dump valve from opening in low temperatures. There isn't a separate pump in the Truma C3402.
When I am filling the fresh water tank I wait until there is enough in, then check the pump is working by turning the kitchen cold tap on until I get a steady stream of water through.
I then turn the kitchen hot tap on to draw water into the Truma boiler. When I get a steady flow I close that tap and turn on the washbasin and shower hot and cold taps in turn (holding the shower head over the drain or basin so it doesn't get water everywhere).

As Margaret & Bill say, don't worry about asking questions. We've all been there :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Spade

Spade

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
dethleffs
Exp
Still a newbie
Great. Thanks for the reply .caught with work for the next few days. Hopefully I know what I am doing now:oops:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back