Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
Just getting our first MoHo but we have an old cat who we can't leave on his own and our relatives can't have any more either so we will have to take him with us.

So, to those with experience, do you have them travel in a travel case or roam free. Not worried about litter trays and the basic cats needs but means of conveyance.
Any ideas gratefully received.
Thanks
Nik

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I don't know about cats, I used to have my dog sat next to me in my car , lead on, and then lead tied up around the seat so he could lie or sit , but in a way he was not in danger (neither me...I remember having had him as a tiny baby under the pedals ...never again!) whilst travelling but I would say cats are the same really, don't let them roam free, for his safety and your own, as with speed ...he could just kill you!

Amicalement,

Frankie:)

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Travel in a travel case / cage. Make it as comfortable as you can and strap the cage down. Pets roaming free in a motorhome are very dangerous.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I did 9 months fulltiming, then 3 months back home in France, then a year fulltiming, with 2 dogs and 2 cats.
One cat was already on the elderly side ( 13 or 14) when she came to live with me ( was my daughters cat-new baby, husband doesn't like cats) She adapted to first of all living with my cat and 2 dogs, then took to the motorhome no problems.
Being older she was calmer and went outside on campsites away from roads.she always stayed close to home.
Other cat went out on a lead and harness. I also had 2 large folding crates, fabric ones, ( Ebay) so they could stay outside safely. I lashed 2 together with bungees, centre flaps open, to make a large tunnel-type cage for them.
One of the crates also acted as a travelling crate, set up on fixed bed at back of motorhome, with their folded blankets inside to keep them comfortable.
In the van, litter tray in shower tray which was first lined with a vinyl tablecloth. Wipe the litter tray out with surgical spirit, removes all smell. Catsan litter works best in a small space, have some poo bags to hand to remove anything solid. Striking a match and blowing it out also removes any smell immediately.
Mine all traveled back and forth to France dozens of times , no problems at all.

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
never take our cats. but brother in law and his other half always took their cat every where they went. they never used a cage of any sort and the cat would simply sleep on one of the rear seats ( not say ing that right or safe just what they did ). it has past away now at the age of 18 yrs.
biggest problem they had was getting the cat in the van when it was time to move on; the cat seemed to know in advance.
they keep encouraging us to take our 2.... NO Way! thats in the to difficult box for me..

but each to our own.(y)

Upvote 0

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Started taking our cat with the two yorkies worried about her when away. She is brilliant and loves it .we can let her out on a lead, if she wants to go to toilet she lets us know by standing next to the door and meowing .We also have a litter tray just outside the door under van .She loves to sit on the dash watching everyone walking by .She,s happy and so are we. Always travels in a strapped in cage.She has her passport same as dogs but doesn't need the worming tablet coming home. Go for it and give your cat a try.lol

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A cat would be really useful for comparing the interior sizes of different MHs...

You could also use it like this:
tumblr_mb58g7Vyu31qbo23n.jpg

Oh, hang on, you mean a LIVE cat?
:):):)

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Well we have been lumbered with two adorable kittens due to our adult kids. Love em to bit's,(kittens that is) great fun have organised this year with friend house sitting for summer. Plenty of real good tips on here for the future:)

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have had two cats while fulltiming (briefly). The first one sat on the passenger seat for the entire drive. It would sit up and look around every time I stopped at a junction or lights.
It did get on the dash board once while I was driving. It slid from one end of the dash to the other when I was going round a round about and quickly gave up on that idea.

The second cat was an explorer, she went every where when I was driving and shouting at her did no good. It got dangerous quickly so I ended up strapping her in. She hated me for that.

To be honest if it was a regular thing I would always box them and secure the box down for both their safety and yours. An accident could prove fatal if they are flying around.

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Lots of motorhomers take their cats ... travel in cages but once there they seem to enjoy sitting on the front window ledge in the sunshine .... might be worth making sure you have a decent fly screen to stop them wandering off to the outside.

Upvote 0

Wilderbeast

Free Member
Jan 20, 2012
Stockton on tees
Funster No
MH
"Hymer duomobil" B634 SL
Exp
Since 2011
We take our elderly cat with us .....10 weeks in Europe last year ,7 weeks the year before so with us again this year.
No real issues she likes to sleep on the floor at the rear of the van when on the move.
Happy to laze in the sun on the dashboard on site and sits outside on a harness when she feels like it.
So for us no issues.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 23
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Nik

Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
Thanks all
Some very useful stuff. I don't think we will use it as a toilet brush as suggested but might come in very handy for wiping the windows.
All the best
Nik

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0
Jan 20, 2015
Fife
Funster No
MH
Bessacar 454
Exp
Since 2013
Why not strap him to the front of the engine , one ,he gets a good view , two , he does not stink out your MH or cause any accidents .

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back