(Sorry, couldn't resist :oops:)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Little bit off from Lincoln but Woodhal Spa site is nice, it's where we have our annual cookoff on the BBQ forum I go on. The village itself is a lovely 1920's Garden Village, has a few coffee shops and pubs, the Dambusters were based nearby and there is a memorial to them on the main street. The Kinema in the Woods is a great little picture house that shows up to date movies and still has an organist pop up through the floor at the intermission !

OP
OP
Jon and Debs

Jon and Debs

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Great Dunmow Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Newbie Jan 2015
Thanks jockaneezer this also looks a great site. I am very impressed and pleased with everyone's rapid response and good suggestions thanks all. This is a really good forum because there are always funsters online and ready to help.

Reactions: CWH
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
We have stayed here Link Removed a couple of times, handy for bus into town, near shops, fish shop etc, nice walks in the woods next to the site.
We liked this one too...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
We have stayed at the Caravan Club site at Market Rasen Racecourse a few times you do not have to be a member its run by the Jockey Club they have their own campsite for bookings.

Its a short walk into Market Rasen for Pubs Cafes etc a there is a Tesco Store.
Hope this helps
Steve and Sue

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
My BIL's drive works well for us. But we're using it in March. :LOL:
(Sorry, couldn't resist :oops:)
Nor can I! I'll be on a friend's driveway right next to Newport Arch (Roman arch at the north end of the old city) at the weekend.

You may be there by now, as we are well into March, but I have stayed on the Link Removed before. It's a nice little site, warden very helpful, but the office had rather restricted opening hours (it's a council operation). Worth booking - it can get full, especially if there is something on in Lincoln. The park is nice for a walk or cycle & there is a bus into the centre from just outside. You are pitched among the trees, but you can't escape the view of the council tower blocks just over the hedge. The trade off is that you are in the town itself, if not right in the centre, so a lot depends on just what you need & what you are there for.

I'm not sure I would consider Woodhall Spa all that close, but it is well worth a visit in it's own right - there are several nice sites in & around the town. It's not the best of roads between the two - probably 3/4 hour in a motorhome.

OP
OP
Jon and Debs

Jon and Debs

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Great Dunmow Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Newbie Jan 2015
Thanks everyone. We have booked Woodhall Spa since it looks interesting, like the wildlife aspect and fishing opportuntity, the Kinema in the woods might be fun if there's a film worth watching. Looks like Lincoln is about 18 miles away and there are one or two MH friendly car parks. Anybody had any experience of parking in, near the City. We don't mind a walk of a few miles ?

Best Regards to all

Jon

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Hi Jon and Debs - we are booked into Woodhall Spa next week - what dates are you there?

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Looks like Lincoln is about 18 miles away and there are one or two MH friendly car parks. Anybody had any experience of parking in, near the City. We don't mind a walk of a few miles ?
18 fairly steady miles, so allow a bit more time than for other journeys in Lincolnshire.

Top end of Lincoln - The Lawns. Ex mental hospital behind the castle (i.e. due west of the castle). The parking is general public parking - you don't have to be attending an event at The Lawns. The m/h friendly parking is at the north end of the car park - go in & keep right. The spaces back onto grass, so reverse in & hang the back end over the grass.

Bottom end - similar spaces in Tentercroft Street car park - that's if they haven't already closed it all off for the planned redevelopment. I haven't been down that end of town for a while, & I'm not sure when it is (or was) due to start.

There are no parking restrictions on Deacon Rd, behind Tescos (access to WiFi too), but parking there when it's busy makes you a bit unpopular, because it reduces the road to one vehicle width. To find it, look up CamperUK - they are at the end of that road. It's a bit out of town, but if you don't mind a walk ...

Just round the corner, on Bishop's Road, there is the entrance to the closed off Ironstone Close. If nobody's beaten you to it, you can sometimes park in the end of there. You might need to sweep up the broken glass first though ...

Again, if you don't mind a walk, there is parking out at The Carholme. It's the old racecourse - head out of town going west on the A57 & it's before you reach the by-pass.

Highwayman1

Free Member
May 9, 2013
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autohomes
Exp
Since 1980 on & off
Hi. If you are at Woodhall Spa this weekend and intend on visiting Lincoln BE AWARE, there are major roadworks on the roads into Lincoln from the Sleaford side of the city. These will affect the B1188 quite substantially and the A15. Traffic will be heavy most of the time but on Saturday evening after 6pm until Monday morning at 5am the B1188 will be totally closed. Also just to add to the mayhem the Lincoln cycle race is on this Sunday too with associated road closures ! All this over the weekend of 21 - 23 March. Sorry to mess with any plans for a city visit and for late notification but forewarned will allow you to spend less time in traffic. Alternative routes are available via local roads such as via Stixwould - Bucknall - Bardney - Fiskerton - Cherry Willingham. This brings you out in the Cathedral area and near to Camper UK shop. Take care and enjoy the area

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Good point. I had forgotten about the cycle race. Judging by all the signs that were out last weekend, there will be a lot of roads closed at the top end of town. I can't speak for 'down hill' because I didn't go any further down than half way down the hill.

OP
OP
Jon and Debs

Jon and Debs

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Great Dunmow Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Newbie Jan 2015
Hi everyone. Very grateful for all the advice and tips. This was our first trip out in our new MH a little Elddis 140 that was actually excellent despite some reports I hear to the contrary, a few minor glitches admittedly but all systems working well and doing what they should. We arrived at Woodhall Spa Countryside Park site on Tuesday 7th April and stayed there until Friday 10th April. A great site in the woods with fishing lakes. Excellent pitches and very friendly and helpful staff, we will definitely go back. Woodhall Spa was charming especially the cottage museum and quaint shops. The Tea Room in the woods was very good and we loved the area. Loads to do but not enough time in one trip. Enjoyed Lincoln and parked at Tentercroft Street, yes the development had started and the queue was a bit tedious but we chilled out and enjoyed the Castle, Cathedral and steep hill. We didn't get time to do everything but BofBMF at RAF Coningsby was brilliant, toured the site with a splendid ex RAF officer and saw Spitfires and Dakotas in flight, Typhoon jets and loads of historic WW2 planes in the hangers. A great little break thanks again for the help.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back