Talk Talk customers watch out (1 Viewer)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So many scams every day I can't say I've noticed anything. One interesting one was immediately after taking out a Tesco ISA in December a huge number of "Tesco" scams arrived.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Placed an advert in the West Briton, paid by credit card (over the phone) 2 days later some numpty tried to withdraw £1500 from my card, Westpak on the ball and tai hoed it!

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Five years ago we were the victims of a hacking.

Trying to use my Tesco credit card I found it had been stopped. On ringing them they told me that there had been unusual activity on our card. On reading out the transactions we found that the last five purchases were not made by us.

We were asked if we were customers of Cotton Traders and, when we confirmed that we were, they said that an attack on CT had compromised hundreds of cards. They reimbursed us the money immediately. So far so good .

However, they had to cancel our existing card and issue a new one. They could only send it to our registered address but, as I was away from home, (my father was terminally ill in hospital) I could not access it.

Full marks for stopping the transactions but, as I could answer all the security questions, I would have thought that, in the circumstances, they could have sent it to my father's address.

It made a difficult situation even more distressing.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Trying to use my Tesco credit card I found it had been stopped. On ringing them they told me that there had been unusual activity on our card. On reading out the transactions we found that the last five purchases were not made by us.

We were asked if we were customers of Cotton Traders and, when we confirmed that we were, they said that an attack on CT had compromised hundreds of cards. They reimbursed us the money immediately. So far so good .

However, they had to cancel our existing card and issue a new one. They could only send it to our registered address but, as I was away from home, (my father was terminally ill in hospital) I could not access it.

Full marks for stopping the transactions but, as I could answer all the security questions, I would have thought that, in the circumstances, they could have sent it to my father's address.

Bad enough when a card being hacked is the result of a genuine attack on a retailer.

Most of us suffer from cloning resulting from the almost total lack of security (promoted by the card issuers and some retailers) surrounding credit and debit card transactions.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Only just left them tbh, as some of you might have seen I was complaining of really slow BBand, consistently less than 1 mbps so changed to BT and straight away up to 6 mbps so as far as I'm concerned I well out of it by the sound of it(y)

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
As I understand, some large companies outsource to India, and in india, they have no data protection laws.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As I understand, some large companies outsource to India, and in india, they have no data protection laws.
The outsourcing contract has to include compliance with the DPA as the large company is still liable. How much protection that provides in practice is debatable. However, having seen some of the practices of some companies in this country, that debate is world wide :)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

Same thing Happened to me. Except I was in the USA!! So that was a VERY expensive call!. Same thing had to manage with my backup card (with of course higher charges!!) until I got the other one sent out by my pal who went to the house collected it and then posted it Via UPS to the Campsite we where staying on!!. Hairy!!! THEN I had another expensive call to initiate the card!!

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back