Candles and motorhomes DO NOT MIX! (1 Viewer)

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Whenever the wife puts candles (citronella tealights etc) in our motorhome I throw them out.

Broken Link Removed

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We use a candle to eliminate cooking smells but place it on a saucer in the sink.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
When I was loss adjusting, the most common cause of fires in the home was chip pans. Then in came deep fat friers which pretty much eliminated that risk, but unfortunately the popularity and misuse of candles soon filled the gap and became the league leader. Won't have the damn things in the house just in case someone lights one. I have seen too many serious fires, injuries and deaths caused by them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Siân uses those little battery operated Tea lights / candles in the van, they look better than you imagine, and you wouldn't be the first person after a glass of vino to try and blow them out:oops:

61dd4QscK4L._SL1500_.jpg

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
At Lincoln, my tall outdoor candle dripped down and the grass caught fire .. fortunately we were sitting round... I don't know how it dripped a naked flame.. I threw them away when I got home and will just use them IN a container of water from now on. :(

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
“We have needles that are around. We have people that come out and drop trash. They cut off branches of trees so they can park. They watch our houses. We have two guys lately that have been casing the joints, going back and forth and one of the homeless people actually told us about that,” said neighbor Jennie.

Nice place to visit......:Eeek::Eeek:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Last week, during a clear out, I burned some foam from out of the Burstner. I've never seen anything burn so well except perhaps petrol.

Reactions: JJ

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Last week, during a clear out, I burned some foam from out of the Burstner. I've never seen anything burn so well except perhaps petrol.
Fire retardant furnishing regs dont apply to Germany then....thought it was a Euro wide thing.

Trikimiki

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Fire retardant furnishing regs dont apply to Germany then....thought it was a Euro wide thing.

Fire retardant foam is only for ignition, if you free burn it like Hilldweller did it actually burns more fiercely and gives off more toxic fumes.
As for candles, tea lights are problematic, dunno if still the case but some had like double skins, when burnt down heated air between layers and inside layer took off, did it in friends house whilst I was there, splashed onto wallpaper and started to ignite, wipe with hand solved it, but if left alone may have been different.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
When I was loss adjusting, the most common cause of fires in the home was chip pans. Then in came deep fat friers which pretty much eliminated that risk, but unfortunately the popularity and misuse of candles soon filled the gap and became the league leader. Won't have the damn things in the house just in case someone lights one. I have seen too many serious fires, injuries and deaths caused by them.
When I worked in the Fire and Rescue Service it was always said that three main causes of fire were"..................

Men
Women
and Children!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back