Free Member
Feb 21, 2008
Gosport
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
I cannot seem to get a reading on my water tank display, it always says 0%, any ideas where I should be looking.
Bob

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
best place is the tap if water comes out you have some is not you need to refill.
Tank gauges seldom work for long in any model of van.

OP
OP
silverlocks

silverlocks

Free Member
Feb 21, 2008
Gosport
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
then in my opinion you shouldnt reply to anymore technical queries as you obviously dont know much

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Wildman is right Bob.

Unusual to constantly register empty but it can happen.

If you have room around the tank look for the sensor wires....they may have come adrift.

It wont be very accurate when it is working and can lull you into believing you have plenty of water when in fact you are about to run out.

The grey waste is even worse.
all the muck, food particals and soap scum which goes down the plughole can clog up the sensor
indicating a full or almost full tank when it could be almost empty.

So, as Roger said...if water come out you have water and if water comes back up the shower plughole your waste tank is full.

K9Brian

Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
South Manchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since April 2010
best place is the tap if water comes out you have some is not you need to refill.

You might not like the reply but I'm afraid it's true. Most sensors play up before long - had mine fixed twice in 2 years.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
then in my opinion you shouldnt reply to anymore technical queries as you obviously dont know much
Sorry Bob, but being a member for the last 6 years you should know you are going to get some useful replies, some not so useful and some sarcastic ones.
Roger was not trying to be funny....just giving an honest answer in his own way.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
That's really helpful Roger. Lol
BTW, our 15 year old gauge hasn't malfunctioned during the 10 years of MH ownership, :)

Bob, you need to check the fuse for that circuit. If it's not blown, check the connections are secure,and if you have access to a volt meter, you can check for continuity in the circuit.

HTH,

Jock.

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2011 after tugging.
I think if you can't answer somebody properly and clearly who is asking for help then don't bother, sarcasm sucks. If the reply was intended to be a genuine reply then improve your English.

My Miami continues to give good readings but as rightly advised not accurate, I just use as a guide.

K9Brian

Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
South Manchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since April 2010
I think if you can't answer somebody properly and clearly who is asking for help then don't bother, sarcasm sucks. If the reply was intended to be a genuine reply then improve your English.

My Miami continues to give good readings but as rightly advised not accurate, I just use as a guide.

A great pity you bothered with the first paragraph at all. The second paragraph was all that was needed.

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
No it's a great pity people leave cryptic notes instead of helping somebody that asked for help, and was quite rightly upset

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
But in the most basic form, surely the tap working or not is the ultimate indicator of whether you have water onboard? I didn't read that as overly sarcastic, nor would have taken offence, was the main point not that the water gauges are notoriously inaccurate/unreliable?

Anyway, we bought a 2006 Tracker a few months ago and the water level reading consistently read 0%. We took it back to dealer who fitted a new sensor under warranty to fix it. They also mirrored the same sentiment as to the reliability of such.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If the sensor in the tank is the type with 4 probes a build up of calcium from hard water could be the problem, take the sensor out and de-scale it & hopefully it will work. If it is a new van could just be a faulty probe, our last Hymer the probe failed when it was only a couple of months old.

If it's not easy to get the probe out de-scale the tank, I always use white wine vinegar for de scaling it works best hot. Truma used to recommend white wine vinegar for de-scaling their boilers until they brought out their own product. We always stock up on it in France about €0.30 Lt.

f6c

Nov 7, 2010
gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
23 Years
Wildman is right I have a Auto-trail 05 plate tank gauges rubbish never worked properly even when new accurate.

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On water mine is good to about 50% then sits there then suddenly drops.
On waste it is accurate and reliable but as lennyhb states a good yearly soak with white vinegar I'm sure has kept it this way as was getting worse "pre vinegar".

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back