rb panel van conversion begins ! (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Morning Dave

It wasn't weight capacity but weight distribution that surprised me. I was surprised how far rearwards I'm having to put the same load to retain a good weight balance front to rear when the van is only 40cm longer than the previous one.
Not sure how much the OP has thought about balance when planning the layout but assuming the new empty van is riding level at the moment it is easy to get the proportions of front to rear axle weights at the beginning by weighing each axle separately. On top of which all these vehicles have the maximum front and rear axle loads shown under the bonnet so it's easy enough to check as the build progresses that one end or the other the maximum weight per axle is not being exceeded.

Its harder still when you have to load a van for multi drop deliveries when each item is a different weight and size and you have to load it in a delivery order..Many panel vans must be overloaded .BUSBY.:giggle:

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I didn't choose the colours Bev (but I do like it) I inherited the job (its a long story explained in my blog on my website) and the customers chose the layout and colours. Cupboard doors are from a caravan that previous converter had stripped. Careavan did the upholstery.

D.

Great blog and work Dave, what a mess you inherited, my word.

How great it is to see someone doing a great job of the insulation, such as on the rear doors, where most don't bother.

Paul.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Morning Dave

It wasn't weight capacity but weight distribution that surprised me. I was surprised how far rearwards I'm having to put the same load to retain a good weight balance front to rear when the van is only 40cm longer than the previous one.
Not sure how much the OP has thought about balance when planning the layout but assuming the new empty van is riding level at the moment it is easy to get the proportions of front to rear axle weights at the beginning by weighing each axle separately. On top of which all these vehicles have the maximum front and rear axle loads shown under the bonnet so it's easy enough to check as the build progresses that one end or the other the maximum weight per axle is not being exceeded.

lots of cases with PVC's with overloaded front axles due to design:cautious: and these from some of the big boys in the business. choosing a 3 litre auto in a PVC? be very very careful.....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Great blog and work Dave, what a mess you inherited, my word.

How great it is to see someone doing a great job of the insulation, such as on the rear doors, where most don't bother.

Paul.

Thanks Paul, you should hear how those rear doors shut now, none of that nasty tinny clatter instead they sound like they belong on a high end car, think Mercedes or Bentley and you're about there, a nice solid sounded thunk.

D.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Well, where did that week go ??

Last weekend i took advantage of the warmer temperatures and applied the first layer of insulation.
IMG_5308.JPG

As I said in a previous post, It's a 7mm thick close cell foam with a foil back on one side and a very strong heat resistant adhesive on the other. This stuff was easy to fit and stuck to all the ribbed contours of the van . I also spent around a hour insulating the three back doors with this material.
It was a time consuming job but I am very happy knowing it's in.

IMG_5312.JPG

Gun foam was applied to the support ribs.

IMG_5303.JPG

After a very restless night it was time to mark and cut out my first windows.
I have never been so nervous doing a job. At work I have done some major repair jobs propping up buildings, underpinning houses and never lost a wink of sleep but cut a hole in a brand new van....Phew

Terry, thank you for your kind offer of help and support early Sunday morning.....Top Man
The thing is I would like to do as much of the build as possible myself, it's something I have wanted to do for a long time.

IMG_5304.JPG

Panic over

IMG_5305.JPG

Yes I painted the cut edge with Red oxide paint

IMG_5307.JPG

Two down.....Five to go

IMG_5302.JPG

This is a nibbler that was used to cut the window openings. It made the job easy work.
So this weekend I would like to get my second layer of 25 mm kingspan insulation in and make a start on the floor. This cold weather has had me change my planned schedule of work but I must keep it moving forward.

I will try and update after the weekend. Thanks for looking......Ralph

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
sorry only just seen this all those on the self build forum who have done vans have used mpi in Bolton think they do it on vans as a sideline and most seem to get them done on a saturday morning
from what Ive heard the diy kits are difficult to use as it realy needs to be sprayed warm and for the difference in price not really worth the hassle

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Looking great Ralph, couple of brave pills before cutting window apertures and it all goes fine :cool:.

As an aside (and then I'll stop hijacking your thread, promise) the conversion I'm doing is now finished and I took it to the weighbridge yesterday with full 30 litre gas tank, 3/4 fuel and about 25 litres in the water tank it came in at 2780KGs total weight (no driver on board) with 330KGs spare at front and over 700 spare on the rear axles. Soon be time to start the next one:coffee:

D.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Ralph the offer was to hold things for you not do it for you :DI said Sunday morning I know you want to do it as much yourself :LOL:It's looking good and I'll bet you felt great after the first window fitted :D(y)Keep up the good work and pics (y)
terry

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
It's looking great. Bet you're very pleased with your work. Good luck on the next step! :)

Sep 22, 2013
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Relay self-build
Exp
Trainee MH owner
Yes, we went to MPI for our insulation having worked out that it would cost us more for the materials if we went the DIY route than they would charge to do it with the full professional setup. We are now using our converted Relay every month finding the insulation makes it easy to heat the van and keep it warm.

We had floor, sides and roof insulated including parts of the doors that we do not need to leave clear for maintenance. In such places, high temperature adhesive was used with a layer of closed-cell foam mat.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Looking great Ralph, couple of brave pills before cutting window apertures and it all goes fine :cool:.

As an aside (and then I'll stop hijacking your thread, promise) the conversion I'm doing is now finished and I took it to the weighbridge yesterday with full 30 litre gas tank, 3/4 fuel and about 25 litres in the water tank it came in at 2780KGs total weight (no driver on board) with 330KGs spare at front and over 700 spare on the rear axles. Soon be time to start the next one:coffee:

D.
Ha Ha..... no problem coming on this thread Dave.
Thats great news on the payload. I would be very happy with those figures.
You look to have done a great job from what i have seen (y)
On with the next one ;)

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Hi Ralph the offer was to hold things for you not do it for you :DI said Sunday morning I know you want to do it as much yourself :LOL:It's looking good and I'll bet you felt great after the first window fitted :D(y)Keep up the good work and pics (y)
terry
Cheers Terry, I will try and keep up with the picks. Been putting on the Kingspan today had to use the foam gun to fix it to the first layer.
Just got crazy busy at work and some of it involves staying over in digs :(
All my other jobs require early starts and long days :( I was hoping to start and get a couple of hours in the van after work :(
I really am glad to be busy though :) After all these projects don't come cheap(y)

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
It's looking great. Bet you're very pleased with your work. Good luck on the next step! :)
So far so good (y)

Thanks for your comments :)

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Yes, we went to MPI for our insulation having worked out that it would cost us more for the materials if we went the DIY route than they would charge to do it with the full professional setup. We are now using our converted Relay every month finding the insulation makes it easy to heat the van and keep it warm.

We had floor, sides and roof insulated including parts of the doors that we do not need to leave clear for maintenance. In such places, high temperature adhesive was used with a layer of closed-cell foam mat.

Its such an important job and needs to be right.I have read so much on this subject and its a minefield.
What i have done try to better the big converters who claim their conversions are winterized....I think i have.
Our current Motorhome is fully winterized and we have been down to -15 no problems.
When we had the gas barbie point fitted i was surprised to find 30mm of polystyrene sandwiched between the inner and outer skins.
I know Kingspan has a better thermal value than polystyrene of similar thicknesses so add the 7mm foil foam to this i think we should be ok.

Glad your getting out all year in a the van, it sound like your insulation is doing what you need it to do(y)

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Ha Ha..... no problem coming on this thread Dave.
Thats great news on the payload. I would be very happy with those figures.
You look to have done a great job from what i have seen (y)
On with the next one ;)

Thanks Ralph, couple of minor snags to fix and its all done. Rather pleased with it overall considering where we started from and the problems we've had with it. I call it "Dublin directions" cos I once asked a chap in Dublin how to get to Cork and he said " ah now, if I was going there I wouldn't start from here":D

D.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Ralph's in there now . Hard at it. Wants me to make Sunday lunch at tea time so he can crack on. He's going to get the last layer of insulation In today. It's made a great difference in the temp inside the van already.
Im sure there will be some more pictures tonight.
He'd love to have the time to crack on till he gets it all done. But he's so busy at work too.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Correction.
I've just taken him a cuppa. He needs some lambs wool insulation ( for some awkward bits) before he can cover it all with the last layer. So he's doing the floor now.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Well its now around two weeks since my last update on the van conversion. I've only got weekends to do the work.
It seems to have taken me forever and a day to complete the insulation but i am very happy with whats gone in. Firstly we've got the sticky back foiled foam @ 7 mm, then the majority of the van , apart from the window areas, has 50 mm of kingspan , the window areas have 25 mm. Then finally on top of that , is a vapour barrier of 3mm. All the hard to reach voids are stuffed with sheeps wool.
This is the sheep's wool insulation for the voids and doors and the vapour barrier.
IMG_5353.JPG

I thought i would have too much here but its all gone in with one slab spare (y)
The silver foam foil sat on top is my last layer and vapor barrier.
I have laid the battens to carry the flooring sheets and cut and stuck in some 25mm Kingspan.

IMG_5370.JPG

The wheel arches were covered in the sticky back foil foam insulation and then carpeted over.
It may seem early to apply the carpet but i want the cut edges to tuck under the floor and wall boards. The voids you can see along the floor level were stuffed with the sheeps wool insulation.

IMG_5372.JPG

The floor was now laid on the vapor barrier and screwed into the battens.

IMG_5376.JPG

I left a section of floor out to carry wiring and water pipes from one side to the other.
The void will open out into the bed box and kitchen sink area.

IMG_5377.JPG

IMG_5381.JPG

Floor now fully boarded so i started on the ceiling boards. Once again a vapor barrier was fitted to the warm side of the insulation.

IMG_5379.JPG
IMG_5382.JPG

Like i think i said previously i wanted to fit the windows first but the cold weather held me back.
I have battened out behind the ceiling for the roof lights and also sunk in some oval conduit to carry the lighting and ceiling fan wires.
I have started to board where the lockers will be but my phone died on me so will show them on my next update.
It will be nice to get over this first stage and start to see it coming together.

The weather is hopefully on the turn and slowly warming up (y)
Hoping to get some windows in this weekend.....Watch this space (y)

Thanks.....Ralph

Last edited:

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Looks brilliant. Can't wait to do ours (years in the future expect to own at least 2 more done by other people first) and love watching other people build..

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
If our Rapido van had all that insulation Ralph, we could spend our winters in the UK, ;) oh well looks like we will have to keep heading south. :ROFLMAO:
I bet you have a grin on your face at the end of the day. :D
(y) Bob.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
I am confident we will be warm enough ;)
I was more concerned about the hot weather, For when ever we have to leave the dogs inside. We shall have the Webasto for the winter as well
Insulation works both ways so we will have to see. Keeps you cool in the summer and warm in the winter. We've never had a problem in the MH we have now. Been as low as - 15. That's only polystyrene . I'm sure we shall be a lot warmer.
I have one of the endless breeze roof fans going in powered from solar for hot days Too (y)(y)

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back