Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I knew my two front Uniroyals were starting to get down a bit and on the service a few days ago it was kindly pointed out to me that they were both at 4mm.

I would normally like to get my monies worth from a tyre and be looking at changing before they hit 2mm, but we're off to Spain in a few weeks and will probably cover up to 3000 miles.

Should I get them done now or or maybe even in Spain? I reckon they would still be above any legal limit by the time I'm home, but as you can see it's troubling me! (n)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
More to the point......how old are they?

Unless you do a high annual mileage at 4mm they are going to exceed the recommended 5 years

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
National Tyre's are doing some good deals at the moment!

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
pm sent(y)
Brian & Jo

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Broken Link Removed
IMAG0587.jpg

We got away with our Blow Out, others not so lucky.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Broken Link Removed View attachment 52817

We got away with our Blow Out, others not so lucky.

That looks grim Jumar, I had some vibration last year in Scotland that I thought might be the rear tyres playing up and I could feel some unevenness on the tread, albeit only slight. I found a tyre dealer on Skye who took a wheel off and put it on the balancer. It was quite scary to see just how distorted it had become.

pm sent(y)
Brian & Jo

Thanks for the help also Brian, much appreciated (y)

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
I have just had all four of our tyres changed - good tread but 7 years old.

We used eTyres - great online ordering, very competitive and did all the work on our driveway. Would certainly recommend them.

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
If you need to ask, you need to change them! When you need fuel, you fill up: you need tyres, you change them for roughly the same price as a fill up per tyre - and they last longer!

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I knew my two front Uniroyals were starting to get down a bit and on the service a few days ago it was kindly pointed out to me that they were both at 4mm.

I would normally like to get my monies worth from a tyre and be looking at changing before they hit 2mm, but we're off to Spain in a few weeks and will probably cover up to 3000 miles.

Should I get them done now or or maybe even in Spain? I reckon they would still be above any legal limit by the time I'm home, but as you can see it's troubling me! (n)

If it were me, I'd go to Spain first then have the new tyres fitted when I get back. 4mm is plenty of tread and will last for the next 3000 miles.

Of course only you can decide for yourself, but I would say it is easy to panic and look for problems that might not develop......

Yeah, you could crash, but it might not be tyre related :whistle:

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
I would go to Spain and get my monies worth. tyres are good with 4mm and under 5 years old.

As with any long journey/trip/timescale check them over for damage, pressures and uneven wear and they should be OK

I would check out the prices while abroad........they may be worth changing while your away.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
That looks grim Jumar, I had some vibration last year in Scotland that I thought might be the rear tyres playing up and I could feel some unevenness on the tread, albeit only slight. I found a tyre dealer on Skye who took a wheel off and put it on the balancer. It was quite scary to see just how distorted it had become.

Thanks for the help also Brian, much appreciated (y)
your welcome David any time(y)
Brian & Jo

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
If you need to ask, you need to change them! When you need fuel, you fill up: you need tyres, you change them for roughly the same price as a fill up per tyre - and they last longer!

Don't really agree with that, prefer to get my monies worth out of a tyre and 4mm is still a fair bit of tread and if it wasn't for going abroad I would not have changed them just yet.

As it happens I put a couple of Avon's on yesterday from National Tyres for just a bit over the price of a couple of tanks of fuel (y)

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
It's not as though the UK is the only place you can buy tyres, European prices can be better, but availability of a specific make or size may be poorer.

Friend of ours in France two weeks ago couldn't get Michelin tyres to suit his car after a blowout. He bought two new Pirellis and brought the part worn Michelin back with him.

Peter

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I buy my tyres in Spain, shop around for the best price as you would at home. Current exchange rate could give you a big saving over British prices, I can buy trade in the UK, but my last four I bought could beat these. Another alternative is, Andorra if passing though.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I have just had all four of our tyres changed - good tread but 7 years old.

We used eTyres - great online ordering, very competitive and did all the work on our driveway. Would certainly recommend them.
Unfortunately they don't cover the whole Country.

Here, near Cardiff, they have no dealerships signed up, (at least they didn't last year when we contacted them). Their prices looked good though.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We changed our 2 front tyres (well full wheels actually!) - we put our existing unused 'new' spare on one side and a new wheel and tyre on the other, the best of the 2 being kept as a spare. We did this as were shortly going to be doing probably around 4,000 miles on our holiday down to Spain and back for 6 weeks and didn't want to have the worry of messing about gettign new ones whilst down there or travelling through snow etc if we have to with only about 4mm of tread. We might have got a could more thousand miles out of them but safety is more important to use especially on winter roads.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back