LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
Re: my recent question regarding registering my Mercedes van for change of use to motorhome. A bit disappointed by the lack of response to my question! Of 143 views I had just one reply. Well thanks for that.

Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hi you will have to send about 10 pictures make sure you show sink cooker etc bed. Make sure you take picture of front and back with number plates. Make sure you take pics of gas bottles strapped in . If you google how to change campervan to motorhome registration it will tell you what you have to do I did mine and it was quite easy hope this helps regards steve

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi you will have to send about 10 pictures make sure you show sink cooker etc bed. Make sure you take picture of front and back with number plates. Make sure you take pics of gas bottles strapped in . If you google how to change campervan to motorhome registration it will tell you what you have to do I did mine and it was quite easy hope this helps regards steve
And the outside now has to look like a motorhome....graphics, motorhome type windows etc.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
But if it was the correct answer no-one else needed to reply.

Hope you get it sorted fast and the DVLA don't play silly sausages with your documents.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Re: my recent question regarding registering my Mercedes van for change of use to motorhome. A bit disappointed by the lack of response to my question! Of 143 views I had just one reply. Well thanks for that.
a bit disappointing to see a post berating members for not replying with everything you want to know

ask nicely and you normally get a reply within a few hours

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
a bit disappointing to see a post berating members for not replying with everything you want to know

ask nicely and you normally get a reply within a few hours

As above

More than a little abrasive i would say :whistle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Hi, as other have said ,check out the DVLA web page for info.
Just completed our VW T4 conversions, sent about a dozen photo's, both sides, front/rear, inside showing cooker/sink and fittings, bed in up (seating position) down in bed position (I put our sleeping bag and pillows there too.
Had to show that there was a 22 litre water container for pumped water, also had to have a properly signed gas and electric certificate by an approved/registered installer.
Sent the V5 (filled out with changes) with all of the above to the D.V.L.A. Swansea and 26 days later received a new V5 with my T4 registered as a "Motor caravan" then had to cancel my van insurance as they would not insure a camper and took out a new policy with Comfort Insurance.
Sorted, now looking forward to going to various Vdub rallies with my 2 brothers who also have T4's plus other Vdub friends for a great time out.
The same applies to all van conversion unless a factory speced one.
Hope that this helps.

would have answered sooner but were out of country and new wi fi until today

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Rather a churlish comment don't you think! o_O

Not everyone has the knowledge to reply, not everyone will even have seen your request for info - I certainly didn't as they soon drop off the first page of active threads and I have been too busy to snuffle around on other pages on the off-chance that there was something I wanted to read or able to reply to! I've only found it because you mentioned you'd done it so I had a look at your profile page and recent activity to find it:

Broken Link Removed

Also, having just read your request, it seems that you got a sensible answer anyway ... did you have a shuftie round the forum for posts relating to doing what you want to do?:confused:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I've just sent mine for the second time. I'll post when I hear back from DVLA, but all info above is exactly what I've done.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Maybe the other 142 have a C/B or A class

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
And the outside now has to look like a motorhome....graphics, motorhome type windows etc.
no it doesnt need graphics and there has always been a need for a window mines blue with no graphics and was passed immediately the important thing is to get the reg plate in the same view as some of the interior shots to prove picks are of that vanwindows dont have to be of a motorhome type

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Crikey Pat.
I've found this forum to be superb regarding questions being answered.
Knowledgeable folk, concise answers like all of the above.....
Obviously something happened, guaranteed no intent to ignore any post on this forum.
I'll take this opportunity to thank everyone here who answered your query, and remember...
"A closed mouth gathers no foot " !

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Crikey Pat.
I've found this forum to be superb regarding questions being answered.
Knowledgeable folk, concise answers like all of the above.....
Obviously something happened, guaranteed no intent to ignore any post on this forum.
I'll take this opportunity to thank everyone here who answered your query, and remember...
"A closed mouth gathers no foot " !
You see, 18 replies, and not even one 'Thank You'. Well, thanks for that! :)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Gus neglected to give a link

Maybe he chose not to give a link, that is what search is for.

I often use the words "search on ....... " because that way they will pick up more information than me typing the bits I remember.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
DVLA took nearly a month first time and they only changed name and address! I sent photos but received no explanation as to why they didn't change it to Motorcaravan.
Resent with another set of photos, all before and afters showing windows, seating , seating converted into bed, got reg number into as many external shots as poss.
If they don't change it this time, I'm going to send more photos with pans on the hob, washing up in the sink, dogs posing on their bed, people sat in seats---- and if all fails me in the shower---scare them into changing it.

I'll let you know what happens......

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
Made me chuckle that^^^:D
Hopefully get our van back from the converters in a few days so probably be pulling our hair out as well :(

Bruce

Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
Check website as above and comply with everything and you should not have a problem. Good luck

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Had to show that there was a 22 litre water container for pumped water, also had to have a properly signed gas and electric certificate by an approved/registered installer.

Interesting comment as the DVLA website makes no mention of water or toilet arrangements only storage. As for Gas and Electric certificates they are not mentioned either.

Is it possible to quote from the DVLA letter on this? Some insurance companies require water but not DVLA, so were these an insurance requirement?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back