Advice wanted on non use of MH (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thanks for all the good wishes. I go through periods of up and down but trying to stay positive and looking forward to some remission and travelling next year.
All the water systems are drained down and I'm lucky to be able to EHU on the drive. I'll arrange to have a heating system put in the van for the winter, just as I did last year, but I wondered if it was OK to leave the EHU on all the time.
Trying to steel myself to ask my son to take the van out for a drive, I always said he can use it IF he goes on a driving course first, I've driven all sizes of vehicles for many years, even tugging, and he has only stuck to small cars.
Thanks again, feeling positive today. The Funsters forum is a great site for keeping my mind off other things.
going to suggest that, we all had to start somewhere, let him have a go, hel be fine

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
One thing not mentioned.
If you have an alarm fitted it may well drain the cab battery ..
If you have not got it on hook up and have a b to b widget fitted it might be worth getting someone to start the van every 2 or 3 weeks and leave ticking over for about 20 minutes.
It is not an ideal solution but could well save you grief when the time comes to hit the road again (y)

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Another point! Chock the wheels, leave in first gear and leave the handbrake off. This will prevent the brakes ceasing on.

Get well soon, thinking about you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I left our van heating on through the winter when we weren't using it, set to about 10 degrees. 2 degrees might be a bit low, that's almost freezing, about the temperature of the inside of your fridge.
Also, leave your cupboards open so there is a bit of air circulation, it will stop mildew growing in the corners.
Best of luck with the treatment, hope you are felling better soon.
Allan

robert groves

Free Member
Aug 12, 2014
Cornwall (near England)
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek 1991
Exp
since 2006
Tyres are a problem with Vans standing still for long periods, if you can get someone to move it just 1 ft every week.....also rub black boot polish on the side walls to reduce UV damage, (don't polish it off)
Why don't new vans suffer the same fate?... I asked a tyre fitter why, he told me that 'new vehicles are fitted with a much higher spec tyres than what is available to the public at large, as most new vehicles can spend up to a year before being sold/moved.... also explains why they have a much deeper tread than those in tyre outlets

Camperdave

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express Compass
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Hillbum only joined tonight.
Very sorry to hear you are not well, please stay positive and our thoughts are with you.
Can I just add put a couple of blocks behind or in front of the wheels and release the handbrake it will stop any chance of it sticking.
Forgive me I am not sure how old your van is, our an is an old bird so shoes don't stick to drums.
Take care

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Thanks for all the good wishes. I go through periods of up and down but trying to stay positive and looking forward to some remission and travelling next year.
All the water systems are drained down and I'm lucky to be able to EHU on the drive. I'll arrange to have a heating system put in the van for the winter, just as I did last year, but I wondered if it was OK to leave the EHU on all the time.
Trying to steel myself to ask my son to take the van out for a drive, I always said he can use it IF he goes on a driving course first, I've driven all sizes of vehicles for many years, even tugging, and he has only stuck to small cars.
Thanks again, feeling positive today. The Funsters forum is a great site for keeping my mind off other things.
Stay strong buddy, all will be good.
Look out at the MH, make it your business to be using it again on a certain time/date.
#1 is you, the MH sounds like you have it in hand.
When your feeling down, get on here and give us abuse...... We'll take it !,

Patcherelli

Free Member
Oct 26, 2014
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coach
Exp
Swift Sundance 630G
Where are you?
Is there anyone can take it for a run so its ready for when you're well?

Goshawk

Free Member
Mar 2, 2014
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
as most have said , keep positive, keep well and good thoughts, although not easy (y)

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hope your health improves over the next few months and that you can get off again. You don't need to travel far to get away and better weather will be here in a couple of months. We leave our MH on drive with heating stat set to kick in if temp drops below 12c just keeps it aired nicely.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Goodness. Just want to add my 'Get Wells' to everyone else's. And to say take care both of you. Be kind to yourselves and keep positive. Easier said than done I know, but it is important. (y)

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Sorry I've only just seen this thread.

Sounds like you've got all good advice on motorhome and someone to give it a drive put will help.

Wishing you well and a return to full health soon.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
@Hillbum. How are you now? up and about I hope! from a fellow melanoma sufferer (along with 101 other complaints)

(This thread originates from Sept 2014)

Yorkshirefreckles

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2015
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F
Exp
Forever
Of course we all wish you well health-wise but why not contact a MH hire company in the meantime and get some payback for the lack of use? You can hire out your van and the income will go towards your post-illness celebratory holiday. Good luck and good health.

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
Hi can't add anything worthwhile concerning your MH but you are far more important and we just wish you the very best and a speedy pain free recovery.
Ashley & Ian

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Don't forget to SORN it if on the drive & not in use then you can use the money you saved to enjoy yourself getting out & about in your motorhome once you are better (y) Sending our best wishes for a swift recovery.

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
Hi
I am going to split this into 2 parts MM to begin with, if you have not joined the 2 sites please do Myeloma UK and UK Myeloma on face book,all very helpful,Ellen is the nurse on Myeloma UK, May I also say how sorry I am that you have this bloody awful Cancer, I lost my husband to it a year this Month.

Does you wife drive the M/H??? If she can and does,it would be wonderful if you can get system out in it!!!
We had a Concorde Carrismere ,sitting on the drive commen sense said get rid and get something smaller!!! Autosleeper took its place I am now Motorhoming on my own.

Life is a gift,open it and enjoy!!!!

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
I'm sure the the van will be fine if you have it on hookup

Wishing you and fireman sam all the best and hope you both make a fast recovery .

Paul & Lynne

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back