LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I don't get the fixation with A class vans.

I have owned one and the layout wasn't for me.

I would look at everything and then decide, and decide based on what's inside, not outside.

There are lots of different "A class"layouts if one didn't suit it doesn't mean none will, advantages are better insulation at the front so the front seats become part of the living area without draughts especially if side windows are double glazed, good headroom especially if you have cupboards not drop down bed, great view when you are inside, and on a personal point I prefer the timeless look of an "A class" over a van front end.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hi what van is this ?
Can't quite work out where them belted seats are ?

Hi Tosan,
The belted seats are hidden beneath the long front nearside and offside 'bench' seats. In the photos, I've pictured the bench seats in normal configuration and then a pic of the belted seats when unfolded. Both bench seat assemblies lift up and away. They fold flat against the van's side wall to reveal the belted seats. The belted seats themselves then unfold and lock into position.

The bench assemblies also slide outwards to the centre and provide the second of two double beds if required (the other bed being fixed at the rear of the van).

The van is from the Elddis range (155 model) and has loads of extras which Marquis provide above the base model. The seats however are a standard fit.

I was attracted to this layout because it offers such versatility. Also, the wife insisted that we had to have the option of safely conveying the grandkids. We don't use the 'dickie' seats often, so whilst there's just the two of us, the seats remain discreetly tucked away and there's also storage space around them too, with access via a small drop-down flap each side. Saves lifting up the bed assembly to tuck junk away!

Hope this helps? Here's another few pics....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 23

ASel

Free Member
Oct 23, 2013
Gretna
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
As you get older and have to get up to the loo every night pull down beds and doubles that can.only be entered from one side are not practical. We have a double each.

Weight is a big issue, not just the all up weight but the front axles on A class MH can be very near the limit.If you are going to carry 4 passengers you need a large payload. Weight also affects the fuel consumption, our 6.5T MH does 16.5 to the gallon.

Most A class MH use van dash/cab units which greatly limits the benefits of A class as the seats are fixed to the van positions so they are too close to the centreline and there is a large wasted area in front of the steering wheel. The Concorde Charisma is built on a chassis only making better use of the space.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
having decided on an A class that narrows down the choices considerably providing you license allows you to drive over 3500Kg. choice now is transverse bed over garage or longer length van and twin single beds, over normally a slightly smaller garage, advantages with this are two fold as you normally have steps to get in/out of bed. Most all A class are 4 berth with bed front and back.

like others have said proof of the pudding in the eating, looking a vans at a show/showroom environment don't give you a clue to be honest....you can only tell if a camper right for you after living with it awhile. To us at the moment small is beautiful, getting there quickly and economically, mainly living al fresco in decent weather we don't need a massive camper. Many downsizing to PVCs for the very same reasons.....

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Quote shortened.

Most A class MH use van dash/cab units which greatly limits the benefits of A class as the seats are fixed to the van positions so they are too close to the centreline and there is a large wasted area in front of the steering wheel. The Concorde Charisma is built on a chassis only making better use of the space.

I am not sure what you mean about "fixed in the van position", I would say that in all A Class the seats turn around and become part of the lounge. You are right about the large area in front of the steering wheel but it is just that it is inside the van instead of being bonnet outside, this did put us off the Mercedes based A class's we looked at, the older IVECO's are closer to the screen than the Merc and the newer IVECO based conversions are even closer to the point where you can wipe the screen without moving from your seat. This is achieved because IVECO are building the chassis cowl like this for motorhome converters, the difference with Concorder Charisma and now the new Credo is that they then build their own dash rather than use the IVECO original with infills at the sides.

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
As usual with this type of question the replies are mostly about what works for someone else. But choosing a layout isn't really that difficult. You just have to decide what the most important area is:

So do you want:
A good nights sleep - you don't want to climb over anyone and you need easy access
A really good kitchen - you like to eat in and are always cooking
A decent shower area - you are used to your home comforts
A large lounging area - you plan to spend a lot of time inside
A modest length - you're worried about maneuverability and parking
Lots of storage - you plan to carry bikes and have an accessible spare wheel etc

Now what's your second favourite area?

Motorhome layouts are generally about just one thing. Everything else is likely to be a compromise to allow for this, although rear beds and good storage do go hand-in-hand. A motorhome BOGOF. Any motorhome which offers excellence in all departments will probably fail in terms of length. You don't want the front end to be on the motorway whilst the rear end is still in the carpark do you.:D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
There are lots of different "A class"layouts if one didn't suit it doesn't mean none will, advantages are better insulation at the front so the front seats become part of the living area without draughts especially if side windows are double glazed, good headroom especially if you have cupboards not drop down bed, great view when you are inside, and on a personal point I prefer the timeless look of an "A class" over a van front end.
Martin I am shocked at this little bit of your statement -you loose more heat through glass than any other part of the van -so unless you cover the bloody big screen (prob twice the size of any other van) you kind of defeat the object of looking out of it if it's covered :DOf course if it's a nice warm day :rolleyes:(y):D;)
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back