solar panel fitting with duct tape (1 Viewer)

Patcherelli

Free Member
Oct 26, 2014
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coach
Exp
Swift Sundance 630G
My Dad always said "if you can't fix it with a hammer or duct tape get someone who knows what they're doing"

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Duct tape always leaves a mess behind, I would probably use sellotape instead ;)

Naw I think masking tape would be best cos once in situ you could paint it to match the roof........and no one will ever know your an eedjit

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Why duct tape, surely the two black cables are there to hold it on? Might have to be careful when reversing;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: GJH

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I suspect after so much pisstaking the OP is too shy to come back with further info or explanation. I hope we have not scared him off. I have a feeling it was a serious question without sufficient information to make sense.
For what its worth Duck tape used externally has a very short life before the abrasive wind reduces it to shreds But for temp sealing things like a sunroof can prevent those annoying leaks until it's sorted properly. It does however have no structural strength at all.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Really ?
No !!!
No wonder my solar panels never stayed in place !!!
' n I never get any leccy from my gnashers :xdoh:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I suspect after so much pisstaking the OP is too shy to come back with further info or explanation.

Been here since 2007 so hopefully will know it's only a bit of FUN.

Personally I don't even trust Stikaflex on it's own, I've a couple of screws as insurance. Silly I know since I had to move my panel and it was a hell of job to shift.

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
I knew we would get round to sikaflex eventually. After years in the bodywork job I know exactly how good it is. It was used less to hold on car panels simply because of the time that had to be spent removing them. Your windscreens are held in with a similar sealer, as are many sunroofs etc. And many truck bodies are bonded together with it. It is flexible to a degree, grips like hell, and lasts decades. If its temporary, duct tape is usually OK, but if its permanent, then its gotta be sikaflex.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Try chewing silver paper !
Errrrrrrrrrrrr, ok luvvie. So your telling me you choose to chew silver paper to generate leccy? Are you so worried about gaffer tape not working? :D

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Errrrrrrrrrrrr, ok luvvie. So your telling me you choose to chew silver paper to generate leccy? Are you so worried about gaffer tape not working? :D
I aint got false teeth so not an option for me :-(
Gutted really as it would save a fortune on panels !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back