Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
newbie, but was caravanner for 20 years
Hi, we are newcomers to Motor homing and have bought an Ace Modena with a fixed bed. We have decided to use the TV cabinet for a microwave (as you cant see the TV from the cab side anyway), but try as I might, I cannot remove the sliding base assembly that a TV is supposed to sit on. It appears to be screwed by a line of screws each side (8 or 10) but having removed them, there is no give at all. I dont want to try to hard to remove it in case I am missing something and do some damage, or maybe its glued in place as well? Can anyone help please?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The screws should be in the runners and once removed it should lift out.

Mine had 2 screws each side so yours sounds a bit over secured and may well be glued........Belt and braces.

If it is you may cause some damage to the cabinet base.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you can get the microwave in without removing the sliding base, why not secure the microwave to it then it will allow you to pull it out a bit if you want so that the cupboard doesn't get hot and/or allow access to the rear of the cupboard where the sockets are.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I'd be very wary of fitting a micro-wave in a cupboard designed for the weight of a TV ..

if you go ahead, ensure it is well bolted in.. or remove when traveling..

in the event of an accident or emergency stop.. several kilograms of cooker flying through the air will do serious damage..

also, as mentioned, they require ventilation , fire risk.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'd be very wary of fitting a micro-wave in a cupboard designed for the weight of a TV ..

if you go ahead, ensure it is well bolted in.. or remove when traveling..

in the event of an accident or emergency stop.. several kilograms of cooker flying through the air will do serious damage..

also, as mentioned, they require ventilation , fire risk.
As the cupboard would have been designed for an old style TV it will have been made to take quite a weight so other than making sure it is secured well, I wouldn't be concerned.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
paul18

paul18

Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Hear what you are saying about weight, but the TV base looks like its designed for non flat screen tv anyway (so would weigh about thesame I`d guess)

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
As the cupboard would have been designed for an old style TV it will have been made to take quite a weight so other than making sure it is secured well, I wouldn't be concerned.

that may well be the case, but I thought it worth pointing out.. .. a micro weighs in at around 12kg.. a lot more than a 12 - 14 in CRT TV .. and produces a fair amount of heat

Upvote 0
OP
OP
paul18

paul18

Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Minx, you are right. I`ll secure a piece of wood to the slide to act as a base for the MW, and then secure it to that, the model I have found is 9kg, which should be ok.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
paul18

paul18

Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Caravans have fixed MWs which seem to have no ventilation at all with no problems

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Caravans have fixed MWs which seem to have no ventilation at all with no problems

The one fitted in my USRV had a vent in the cupboard to the outside of the van .. can't comment on UK caravans.. or how they ventilate theirs.

no matter.. the microwave you have chosen should give guidelines as to minimum required spacing..

the oven itself gives off little heat.. most of the heat is generated by the cooking food.. the steam has to get out somewhere.. . just ensure there is adequate venting space at the sides and back..

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hey-up Paul, didn't realise you were a newby ... welcome to the 'fun' house! :welc:

Make sure the ventilation requirements are met and I'd be inclined to line the cupboard with something just to protect it from any moisture that gets out through the vents at the sides and top and also from when you open the MW door.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back