Highway code quiz (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
See the Highway Code rule stated
i just quoted it.. and it clearly says...... AND the road markings or signs do not give priority to traffic in either direction..

Where a single carriageway has three lanes and the road markings or signs do not give priority to traffic in either direction

• use the middle lane only for overtaking or turning right. Remember, you have no more right to use the middle lane than a driver coming from the opposite direction
  • do not use the right-hand lane.

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Indeed, and the road markings do not prevent the use of the Middle lane, thus you prove yourself wrong

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
and a supplementary question to OP and others

In the 3 lane section of the road in the clip, oncoming traffic has a solid white to the offside of their lane 2 telling them no to use the third lane, whereas traffic going in the direction of the clip appear to have no restriction to using all three lanes

Are you legally allowed to use all three lanes traveling in the direction of the clip?

In the past I have, particularly if 2 lorries doing one of their 20 mile overtakes, not so sure I would these days with a wiser head on

But legally could you?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
The white lines (either solid or broken) separating lanes of traffic, as in the video, do not indicate a priority.

Unlike those at road junctions where they are used to indicate that it may be necessary to stop and give way to other road users.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Correct answer, no one has priority and 60
Classic case of why the highway code needs a major re-write. What it is describing is not what the lines on the road suggest. I'm not arguing that one direction has priority over another but the lines on the road are mis-leading. If neither direction is supposed to have priority why are the lines on each side different?

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Classic case of why the highway code needs a major re-write. What it is describing is not what the lines on the road suggest. I'm not arguing that one direction has priority over another but the lines on the road are mis-leading. If neither direction is supposed to have priority why are the lines on each side different?
Agreed

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
and a supplementary question to OP and others

In the 3 lane section of the road in the clip, oncoming traffic has a solid white to the offside of their lane 2 telling them no to use the third lane, whereas traffic going in the direction of the clip appear to have no restriction to using all three lanes

Are you legally allowed to use all three lanes traveling in the direction of the clip?

In the past I have, particularly if 2 lorries doing one of their 20 mile overtakes, not so sure I would these days with a wiser head on

But legally could you?
The Highway Code says do not use the Third lane, not must not. Meaning it is not illegal, just inadvisable.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
ScotJimland is perfectly correct.

The traffic coming towards you has two lanes up to solid white line they cannot cross.
The traffic in camera direction has one lane BUT has the use of the middle lane when no oncoming vehicles are in it.

Indeed, and the road markings do not prevent the use of the Middle lane, thus you prove yourself wrong
This is incorrect . You are allowed to use the middle lane only when there is no oncoming in it .
For this ;
Where a single carriageway has three lanes and the road markings or signs do not give priority to traffic in either direction
To be correct in the above video the lane marking would be long dotted between each lane & a free for all.
If the traffic wanted to they could be filling the two oncoming lanes solidly & legally.
The lane markings shown give priority over the two lanes to the oncoming traffic.

All you have to do to see that you haven't priority is imagine that you are going downhill & the oncoming is going uphill. They have priority over both lanes & those going downhill only have the 'right' to cross the solid white line when there is no oncoming traffic. This is what the stretch of North Devon link road from Tiverton-Barnstaple was originally like but the downhill drivers thought they had a 'right' over those coming up. They had to make it 2 solid white lines to educate them.

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
ScotJimland is perfectly correct.

The traffic coming towards you has two lanes up to solid white line they cannot cross.
The traffic in camera direction has one lane BUT has the use of the middle lane when no oncoming vehicles are in it.

This is incorrect . You are allowed to use the middle lane only when there is no oncoming in it .
For this ;
To be correct in the above video the lane marking would be long dotted between each lane & a free for all.
If the traffic wanted to they could be filling the two oncoming lanes solidly & legally.
The lane markings shown give priority over the two lanes to the oncoming traffic.

All you have to do to see that you haven't priority is imagine that you are going downhill & the oncoming is going uphill. They have priority over both lanes & those going downhill only have the 'right' to cross the solid white line when there is no oncoming traffic. This is what the stretch of North Devon link road from Tiverton-Barnstaple was originally like but the downhill drivers thought they had a 'right' over those coming up. They had to make it 2 solid white lines to educate them.

Gus,

Firstly, many apologies if I have misread or misunderstood you post.

When does anybody have the 'right' to cross a solid white line, even if there is no oncoming traffic?

Only if passing a stationary vehicle or other obstacle. Or crossing the solid white line is necessary, for example to make a right turn.

Again, apologies if I didn't understand the point you were trying to make.

Stef.

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Gus,

When does anybody have the 'right' to cross a solid white line, even if there is no oncoming traffic?

Only if passing a stationary vehicle or other obstacle. Or crossing the solid white line is necessary, for example to make a right turn.

Stef.
Because there isn't a solid in the direction of travel, it is broken. This is the classic misinterpretation of this road marking.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Gus,

Stef.

Because there isn't a solid in the direction of travel, it is broken. This is the classic misinterpretation of this road marking.

As DF has stated , when the double solid white line changes to a broken on your side with solid still on the outer, you have the right to overtake , etc;

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
there used to be a section like this on the north circular it was nicknamed the chicken run it was less than a mile long so by the time you moved out you were running out of road

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have some more to post later that even more people will get wrong :xsmile:

Doesn't that presume the council have got the signage right in the first place

I remember in my days of learning to drive and sign recognition, there used to be a sign for double bend, that had 2 versions showing the direction of the first bend, then there was also a sign indicating multiple bends ahead, these seem to have been blended into one sign now, or nobody really knows which one to use

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Surely the middle lane is for BMW's driven by sales reps only travelling in either direction?
We mustn't restrict them to the speed limit at any time.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Surely the middle lane is for BMW's driven by sales reps only travelling in either direction?
We mustn't restrict them to the speed limit at any time.

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Here's another question, imagine you were following an HGV on this bit of road. What would the maximum speed be for the HGV?
Speed limit.jpg

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Both correct! Care to state why?

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
isn't that the limit for HGV's on single carriageway roads?

A lot of lorries now run around with their legal limits published on the back

Indeed it is the limit on single track roads. The rule is that the National speed limit takes precedence over the posted speed. Thus on this road, although the posted speed is 50, the national speed limit for an HGV is 40, so the NSL takes precedence. :xgrin:

Another speed limit question to follow shortly. I have to say I am impressed with the level of speed limit knowledge amongst funsters :xThumb:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
back in the 70's I already thought I had failed my driving test, the last part then was identifying road signs

I was given this

road sign.jpg

I answered merging traffic, to which the examiner then asked and where might you see it

I paused and he said its alright you have got the right answer, following up with 'they are on all motorway junctions'

To which I, having thought I had failed anyway, said, ' I don't think so, all motorway signs are blue' he paused, never answered and then told me I had passed my test

I now know he was right, but wonder if I put enough doubt in his head not to go bonkers at me and fail me

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Speed limit question number 2, the road in this picture carries the national speed limit, what is the maximum speed allowed in a car?
Speed limit 2.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back