Free Member
Apr 17, 2012
bath
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
1 year
Hi,im thinking of getting a satellite for my van,as i have not got much room for a full size sky box ,i was wondering if anyone is using a mini sky box ? There are so many on ebay that im not sure which one to get,
any info would be appreciated,
chris

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
Yep. Use a multiroom box on its end. Freesat from Sky card. Twin lnb sat with one to sky box the other to the freesat tuner on the telly so we're covered when not on hook up.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hi,im thinking of getting a satellite for my van,as i have not got much room for a full size sky box ,i was wondering if anyone is using a mini sky box ? There are so many on ebay that im not sure which one to get,
any info would be appreciated,
chris

There is only one true small Sky box, and that is the Pace 12 volt jobby

There are LOADS of free to air sat boxes and all are more or less the same..

If you have a Sky card though you will need a 12v Pace box or as suggested, a standard Sky box up on its side or end and a 240 supply of some sort

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
GET A 12V PACE BOX and use your sky card (if you have one) from home. You will get almost all the channels, unless you are going further South than France. Take Scrabble with you after that.

colyboy

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
GET A 12V PACE BOX and use your sky card (if you have one) from home. You will get almost all the channels, unless you are going further South than France. Take Scrabble with you after that.

colyboy
I use a pace 12v sky box i beleive they are no longer available ?.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I use a pace 12v sky box i beleive they are no longer available ?.

They are at least 10-12 years old now... !
I took them out of Sky storage back in 2005 as reboxed units.
So only available as second hand on ebay etc...

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp

colyboy

Not entirely True , many scrambled subscription channels are available on the Pan European Beam which is available across Spain and Portugal without the need for a huge dish

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the pace javelin still makes good money second hand on ebay, think £40+

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
If you have a Sky Subscription you will not be able to use the card outside the box it is paired to. After 48/72 hours out of box it will scramble channels until returned to paired box. Multiroom works, but sometimes they need a telephone connection to check they are with main paired box.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
apparently you can pair your skycard to a new box online so no need to even ring customer services

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
If you have a Sky Subscription you will not be able to use the card outside the box it is paired to. After 48/72 hours out of box it will scramble channels until returned to paired box. Multiroom works, but sometimes they need a telephone connection to check they are with main paired box.

Mine doesn't , we use our subscription card in a Thompson 240v box at home (we have the family package )and in our 12 volt pace javelin when were away and it always works .
Have done for the last 5 years

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Mine doesn't , we use our subscription card in a Thompson 240v box at home (we have the family package )and in our 12 volt pace javelin when were away and it always works .
Have done for the last 5 years

Yes you are correct as thats how many of the "cad sharing" sites do it, however very soon 2015 the older boxes like yours will no longer update the cards, this is sky's way of getting you to upgrade. Many of the HD channels will not work/clear now and in 2015 unless it is the newer box no HD channels will clear. Thats way I hate Sky...........

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We dumped the HD package ages ago.. No point unless you have HD eyes to match!
We do not bother with the film channels nor the sport crap..
We do have the full entertainment package and the card works just fine taken straight from the 'normal' Sky box and shoved in the Pace one without any need to change box ID or anything.
I spoke to a Sky rep about the proposed changes and was assured they will not affect me at all

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Indeed..
The 12v Pace was killed off BY SKY ( at least by their insistence ) as there is no way to control it.. There is no switching circuitry in the things.. That is why you cannot buy a new stock 12v Pace any more and have not been able to for many years
I am perfectly happy and can see no reason it will affect what I, and thousands of others do.

Even if they do manage to to do something clever, I will simply modify a standard box by removing the on board 220v PSU and fitting a small voltage amplifier inside the thing that can give me 12v, 5v and 15v which is used to feed and switch the LNB from V to H :)

edriver

Free Member
Oct 26, 2014
Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Brilliant conversation killer though. Ten out of ten for it!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back