LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Just had my renewal quote from Safeguard. We went to Maroc last year and they provided a green card FOC.

So I started ring round, AIB - am awaiting reply from on line quote.

Caravanguard - £510.50 - fully comp, 11,000 mile, per year max. Then asked the lady about green card cover for Maroc. 30 days only she say is £53.
Moroccan visa is for 3 months I replied, so she says they would have to contact the underwriter for permission but it would likely cost £53 x 3 = £159 if they agreed to 3 months.
I then told her my renewal quote from Safeguard £492.49 and she dropped her quote to £449.50.

What is it with these insurers - just give us a straight quote and stop ripping me a new arse:mad::mad::mad:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I was with Safeguard for years but moved to MHF (Aviva) when we did the Morocco 2013 trip as their cover was all the same but included some breakdown claim back for Morocco..

Safeguard have snail mailed and emailed me this week about getting a quote.
So just called them.. They know I was with them before and after all the bullshit give me a price of £492 !!!!

I laugh and tell them to forget it straight away as now I pay very low £300's (£335)
Off they go to ask about extra "special" discount and guess what, instantly it's down to £299........

Why do they mess about and try to con people.. GRRRRRR RANT OVER....

Awaiting MHF renewal but will be calling AIB as well....:xThumb:

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
When I had the debacle about increased insurance premium when I moved storage I tried AIB as well. Very helpful but in the end his quote was within a few pounds of Comfort (who eventually relented and didn't increase the premium)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Safeguard dropped £150 off our quote when I "explained" how much dearer they were than others. Concerning how some people must just pay. Renewed with Caravanguard who dropped £50 when pushed but initial quote was ok for good cover including protected NCD but same cover for less money was better:xsmile: Reading others experience of doing this gave us the confidence to do this so keep sharing Funsters!

Last edited:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Posted this in a couple of places and "word on the street" seems to be the same.. Safeguard overquoting massivly and then dropping huge amounts... Sounds very dodgy, even to the point is it ethical or even legal..

scottie

Free Member
Mar 2, 2013
chandlers ford
Funster No
MH
Astec Devon 2008
Exp
July 2012
Wombles, did Safeguard offer "free" Automobile Association roadside cover "uk" only as part of the deal. I am due my third year quote next year from them, but like the idea of the "AA" bit. I know nothing is free, and their quotes have been fine so far.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Wombles, did Safeguard offer "free" Automobile Association roadside cover "uk" only as part of the deal. I am due my third year quote next year from them, but like the idea of the "AA" bit. I know nothing is free, and their quotes have been fine so far.
As CSMA members we already have Britannia Recovery covering us for any vehicle we travel in including our car & motorhome (around £80 for UK & extra for Europe but only extended when needed(y))which has always been excellent so weren't tempted by other recovery deals just for the motorhome. Also have Ford Assist as first point of contact while under Ford warranty &/or serviced by Ford. Caravanguard does include UK recovery & they price matched with Safeguards second (reduced) quote but they couldn't remove the recovery & go lower. Caravanguard consequently weren't the cheapest but best cover for us as wanted to maintain our protected NCD & have new for old cover. There seems to be rhyme or reason to motorhome insurance as just have to do the arduous task of ringing around for quotes, comparing the small print of the policy cover then picking which ones suit you best then ring them again & push them to give their best price against the competition. Looks like which one comes out best is also down to your postcode so will vary for each of us.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
My personal experience with Safeguard has always been positive and when I have got quotes elsewhere they are rarely even within £50 of the original quote (SAGA quote was £289 more and with a sales 'persons' take it or leave it attitude which was refreshing ..............................not)

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I hate insurance companies that you have to barter with. I will always jump ship and move my insurance if I find they are doing this. My very simplistic response to them is ' as a valued customer I expect you to quote me the best option'.

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
Just renewed with Safeguard.Came in cheaper than last year.Tried quite a few others but no one could match them when you take into consideration I have UK & European cover:)

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
I have just had a quote from Safeguard which is much the same as last year. I then started leafing through the insurance pack. I was astounded to find in the European Cover Breakdown Assistance, Section 1 Roadside Assistance and Repair, that my van (3500kg) is only covered for up to £250 maximum including garage labour, and further, the maximum recovery length is seven metres.

I have now had a quotation from Saga, £60 cheaper together with its European Assistance Plus Scheme which provides unlimited cover in Europe as if I was in the UK. No restricted length either.

My only fear is amount of post I will get from them once I sign up. Needless to say my e-mail address has not been disclosed. God help the postman!

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I've only had positive experiences with Safeguard. I unfortunately had to make use of their European recovery services this year and they were IMO excellent. Fluent English speaking, called back when they said they would and called service providers on my behalf when requested.(y)

Last year's premium was approx. £20 cheaper than the previous year. I've never had to barter with them.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
me neither....even though I shop around now and then I stick with them as I import all my vans and they make it relatively straightforward..

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
. I was astounded to find in the European Cover Breakdown Assistance, Section 1 Roadside Assistance and Repair, that my van (3500kg) is only covered for up to £250 maximum including garage labour, and further, the maximum recovery length is seven metres.

!

I am sure if you delve into the smaller print there is no weight or length issues..
Over the year had them out to my 7.5mtr vans twice in Spain and Germany. Vans over 3500kg and no issues..

I cant fault Safeguard for cover, just so darn annoying they play these silly games....

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
As above.

I have just spoken to Safeguard re the length of van for recovery and despite what said in the policy booklet I was told that my van would not have been insured with them had they not been able to recover it (7.5m). However they are not prepared to put this in writing to me.

With regard to the maximum payment of £250 for roadside breakdown and garage services there was no movement. If my van had been registered as weighing 3,501kg the breakdown and garage services allowance would increase to £1000. A huge difference for 1kg.

However, following discussion over their quotation, Safeguard have kindly reduced the cost to below that of Saga and have won my business for another year.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
There was no issue when I needed them.... :xThumb:
Over 7mtrs and 4100kg... I am sure in the handbook (which i dont have to check) there is something like a premium breakdown that covers the bigger vehicles and that's included in the policy..

DSC00367.JPG

Bounty Hunter

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1984
Contacted Safeguard last month and they quoted just over £100 more than Comfort. They then came down £50 less than Comfort but I insisted on T&C's before committing. On reading T&C's I was amazed to find my 6 tonne motorhome would be recovered in Europe but in UK there is a weight limit of 3500kg as they use AA.
After more discussion with Comfort decided to stay with them.
John

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
As above.
With regard to the maximum payment of £250 for roadside breakdown and garage services there was no movement. If my van had been registered as weighing 3,501kg the breakdown and garage services allowance would increase to £1000. A huge difference for 1kg.

I think you may have this the wrong way around..
Emailed safeguard just for interest and asked for a copy of the policy.. Searching through the pdf

"We will arrange emergency help for you and cover costs within
the following limits for:
Vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes
• Roadside assistance, towage and garage repairs up to
£250 overall maximum. This includes up to £100 for
garage labour costs within this total amount.

Vehicles over 3.5 tonnes
• Roadside assistance, towage and garage repairs up to
£1,000 overall maximum. This includes up to £100 for
garage labour costs within this total amount."

This statement seems a bit weird but I guess they have a reason why they do it like this..

"• Vehicle dimensions – vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes (3,500kg)
Length 7 metres (23ft)
Height 3 metres (9ft 10ins)
Width 2.3 metres (7ft 6ins)

• Vehicle dimensions – vehicles over 3.5 tonnes (3,500 kg)
Length over 7 metres (23ft)
Height over 3 metres (9ft 10ins)
Width over 2.3 metres (7ft 6ins)"

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We've just renewed again for our fourth year with Safeguard. Never had any problems with them, always had a consistent and fair quote, I know this because each year prior to renewal, I do my rounds with the other companies and they are always consistently higher.
Most of the other companies always want extra for European cover and Safeguard include this already.
Also, when we changed over our cherished plates Safeguard waived the admin fees, I know that some other companies will charge for this.
Like other Funsters, I would never accept a "first" quote, be it renewal or otherwise.......basically I don't trust them:cautious:

Bill

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Contacted Safeguard last month and they quoted just over £100 more than Comfort. They then came down £50 less than Comfort but I insisted on T&C's before committing. On reading T&C's I was amazed to find my 6 tonne motorhome would be recovered in Europe but in UK there is a weight limit of 3500kg as they use AA.
After more discussion with Comfort decided to stay with them.
John

We've have both AA and RAC cover with our van which is 4,250 kgs and have checked the weight issue with them. The RAC cover was part of an extended warranty when we bought the van. I was told by both AA and RAC that the weight wasn't a problem when I enquired.:xThumb:

Bill

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
We've just renewed again for our fourth year with Safeguard. Never had any problems with them, always had a consistent and fair quote, I know this because each year prior to renewal, I do my rounds with the other companies and they are always consistently higher.
Most of the other companies always want extra for European cover and Safeguard include this already.
Also, when we changed over our cherished plates Safeguard waived the admin fees, I know that some other companies will charge for this.
Like other Funsters, I would never accept a "first" quote, be it renewal or otherwise.......basically I don't trust them:cautious:

Bill

Agree totally, and most motorhome policies underwritten by Allianz.....................enough said.:xThumb:

stevebill

Free Member
Jun 23, 2010
UK sometimes
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Last year I used OneInsurance Solutions. No additional charge for 10 months driving abroad, 4 month green card for Morocco and European breakdown cover. I'll use them again when we get back to the UK in April.

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Safeguard won't quote if you are unemployed ( they are not on their own ) . why is this .

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I was with Safeguard for years but moved to MHF (Aviva) when we did the Morocco 2013 trip as their cover was all the same but included some breakdown claim back for Morocco..

Safeguard have snail mailed and emailed me this week about getting a quote.
So just called them.. They know I was with them before and after all the bullshit give me a price of £492 !!!!

I laugh and tell them to forget it straight away as now I pay very low £300's (£335)
Off they go to ask about extra "special" discount and guess what, instantly it's down to £299........

Why do they mess about and try to con people.. GRRRRRR RANT OVER....

Awaiting MHF renewal but will be calling AIB as well....:xThumb:

Had the same with safeguard, renewal quote £419,told them where to fit it as got a quote from cc&c for £359 ,immediately said they could offer me a special rate as I had been with them for a while of £319 ..makes you wonder where they are coming from with existing clients.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Safeguard won't quote if you are unemployed ( they are not on their own ) . why is this .
They believe there is an increased risk of a fraudulent claim if you are out of work and skint.
I switched to self employed when I was made redundant.

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Yes so did I , but with somebody else . technically I probably am still registered self employed .

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
We've just taken out insurance with Safeguard £385 fully comp protected & AA recovery.
We need to get on top of this AA thing tho
Got 4 years manufacturers membership.
1 year through the TSB membership.
1 year with Safeguard membership.
Personal memberships for the two of us.

Guess we should be ok if we break down tho

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
I've decided to go with Safeguard when we get our new motorhome next month.
When I did my research I was amazed to discover that numerous companies simply would not give me cover. That despite the fact that I am 64 years old, my licence is without a blemish, I have had no accidents or claims and the vehicle is alarmed, trackered, fitted with security bolts and stored at a compound which has just about every security device known to man.
Safeguard are insuring me for less than £500. That is with protected no claims, no annual mileage limit and roadside assistance and recovery both at home and abroad.
When I think what the potential claim would amount to if I wrapped the vehicle round a tree I think that's very good.
Stef.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back