Still not quite got this motorhoming lark (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Ditto, always carry two empty and use them to restock when the right hose connection isn't available and for when the filter's run out.
I'm confused Bertie (easy to do, I know), are you saying you use the water from your tanks but filter it or you filter the bottled water please?:confused:

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I'm confused Bertie (easy to do, I know), are you saying you use the water from your tanks but filter it or you filter the bottled water please?:confused:

It's the daft way I typed it........apologies. We always carry a Brita Maxtra and filter the water from the tanks. Never had a problem with it. However we always carry the same Sainsbury 5L water cans as DF and Dux empty in case we come across a water tap that we haven't got an adapter for or for when the filters run out. Sometimes the filtered water tastes stale long before the filter should have run out that's usually because the water we've been drawing from a borne or tap is pretty grim to start with. (We find this in Spain more than France).

OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
It's the daft way I typed it........apologies. We always carry a Brita Maxtra and filter the water from the tanks. Never had a problem with it. However we always carry the same Sainsbury 5L water cans as DF and Dux empty in case we come across a water tap that we haven't got an adapter for or for when the filters run out. Sometimes the filtered water tastes stale long before the filter should have run out that's usually because the water we've been drawing from a borne or tap is pretty grim to start with. (We find this in Spain more than France).
Thanks for the info:xThumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
:xgrin:
I have to use lists for everything Bertie, lists of lists even.:xshout:

I had got out of the habit with being used to the caravan you see,got a bit complacent and thought we knew it all:xdoh:.....back to square one for me:getmecoat:

So what are the main differences you have found? Is the MH a big plus over a caravan? As much info as possible please.

Yes - it is so different to having a caravan, can't believe it. The main one I think, for me, is that it's no longer about just getting to the destination. I remember several people said that to me when I first came on the site and I just didn't appreciate what they meant - learning now thoughx:-)
I have been in the van and had a lie down though, just to try, felt great:xThumb:

Is the journey the destination now then? Help me to understand please. :xgrin:

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Rule # 1. I never go anywhere without a Thermos Flask ( or one of those thermal cups that pours tea down your front when drinking from the wrong side!)

PS.
A 'Fabloned list'. Do they still make Fablon?

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Rule # 1. I never go anywhere without a Thermos Flask ( or one of those thermal cups that pours tea down your front when drinking from the wrong side!)

PS.
A 'Fabloned list'. Do they still make Fablon?

They do, but what I really meant to say was a list poshly laminated at my work place.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Two things occurred to me reading these posts the first was what are you worrying about its only like a caravan with an engine LOL. The second was has anyone ever read the labels on a bottle of water? Most of them say do not re-use! Its something to do with the plastic leaching out apparently.

We always use the water from our tank, but its mostly boiled anyway we drink lots of coffee LOL and as they are generally black inside there is not much chance of bacterial growth as they mostly need some sort of light source to grow.

We always start with fresh water every voyage.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I think if you had the water container com new, have flushed the pipes regularly after winter and always take care where you fill up there's no reason not to drink out of your taps. We had out van 2nd hand, fill up where we can and so we don't always trust our water. We carried bottled water since we first had it and at 17p for 2 litres don't see it as a big deal.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
The truth of that is I don't know, but I do know we re-used one when I was at work we has the same bottle for a couple of years to save us keep walking to the tap to fill the kettle, and I'm still here LOL.

sleep e carr

Free Member
Nov 30, 2008
Whitby North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express 6 birth
Exp
Since 1970 first van converted police van
Hi can anyone help with parking near Manchester, at easter time we will be flying off to Malta and they recon none of the car parks near the airport can take my vehicle it's too high or it;s too long we will have to get parked up by 3.30pm and get to term 1 by 4.30 help please if you no where we can park for 2 weeks cheers George

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Hi can anyone help with parking near Manchester, at easter time we will be flying off to Malta and they recon none of the car parks near the airport can take my vehicle it's too high or it;s too long we will have to get parked up by 3.30pm and get to term 1 by 4.30 help please if you no where we can park for 2 weeks cheers George
Start a new thread, someone is bound to come to your rescue!

lesr48

Free Member
Oct 25, 2014
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano
Exp
Since 2014
Google Shentons!

tedontour

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2011
london
Funster No
MH
van conversion autocruise
Exp
since 1976
Snap/Great Minds etc....!:xThumb:
i was just wondering ??? do you work for them as i did work for maynard's for five years
if you do not wish to say no problem
regards ted :xcool: i also have the same van

OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
:xgrin:

So what are the main differences you have found? Is the MH a big plus over a caravan? As much info as possible please.

Is the journey the destination now then? Help me to understand please. :xgrin:
Hi...
For me/us, in no particular order and off the top of my head.....

It means I can drive, I never felt confident enough to tow. Really enjoy driving it but I need to learn to drive with a sat nav as Les nods off pretty quickly in the passenger seatxroll:.

Lots less stress, Les never enjoyed towing and would get stressy very easily, the kids always used to say they could tell his stress level by the colour of the back of his head:xrofl:. With the mh he isn't very stressed, even when I get us lost (happens more often than I'm going to admit to:xblush:) as it's so easy to turn around/take a detour.

When you get on a site it's so easy, if you've travelled with some water in the tank then all you do is hook up, put the gas on and swivel the seats round. 5 mins max - marvellous:xThumb:

Even siting yourself on a pitch is so much easier although the last few years we've cheated with the caravan as we've used a motor mover.

With the caravan we'd stay in one place and drive out to where we wanted to visit but with the mh I'm looking forward to actually 'touring' - a night here, a couple there, wherever our fancy takes us:xThumb:.

I love reading about everyone's travels and really hope to get abroad with the van as it sounds fantastic in europe - we never took the caravan as Les wasn't keen on the idea.

We did a flying visit to London to see the poppies, there's no way we'd have done that with the caravan - just too much hassle.

Oh and as the van is smaller it means we can actually keep it on our drive, not in storage. Going via storage added an hour on to our travelling time both ways.

We've only had 5 trips so far so still very new but it has been absolutely the right decision for us.:xThumb:

Hope this helps a littlex:-)Sorry for the long post, but you did ask:xdoh:

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Thank you...I did indeed. I think, from what I have been reading, that with a caravan you HAVE to reach a set place, but, with a MH, you go as far as you want, find somewhere to stop and then relax.....is that the gist of the pleasure of MHs?

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Thank you...I did indeed. I think, from what I have been reading, that with a caravan you HAVE to reach a set place, but, with a MH, you go as far as you want, find somewhere to stop and then relax.....is that the gist of the pleasure of MHs?

I'm on holiday as soon as I turn the key and the alternator light goes out. My gf lives driving it so I get to chill some of the way (although she hasn't driven abroad yet) and I notice a post upbrhere about taking 5 minutes to pitch.. errr what are mucking about at? Kettle is on within a minute and seat turned round..

It's taxed and insured so I can keep it nearby instead of storage, I can use it for comfy day trips eg to the new forest and the beach and I can use it all year round (actually I used my caravan all year too but it was hard work in the winter)

I could rave all day about how much better the campervan is than a caravan but for us the overriding difference is being able to stay off grid so no need to pay OTT site fees..

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
i was just wondering ??? do you work for them as i did work for maynard's for five years
if you do not wish to say no problem
regards ted :xcool: i also have the same van
No Ted I work in the 'Security'Industry.
Just about to change the van though we've loved it. Just not roomy enough for long trips away sadly.

OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Yep I think that about sums it up but we'll know better when we've done more trips:xThumb:

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Yep I think that about sums it up but we'll know better when we've done more trips:xThumb:

I think your #49 sums it up really..............great post Debs, it's all about the real flexibility that a MH gives us all.:xThumb:

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
It wasn't til I was typing it that I realised how stressful oh found it all...never mind, sorted now:xThumb:

Many years ago Margaret was driving us back from Nerja and I was dossing in the back (we had a Herald then). I awoke to find the van shaking violently, I struggled to the front to find her swearing at a German bus driver who's driving position was level with her on the inside lane of the two lane motorway. She was doing 80 and he was just tickling his throttle enough so that we wouldn't get past, stressful you bet but how we laughed when one of his elderly passengers staggered forward and started giving him a hard time and he slowed allowing us to pass and drop the speed back to a more sedate 65/70. The long queue of irate Barcelonans behind us gave us the bird in equal measure. There's always stress!:)

OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Many years ago Margaret was driving us back from Nerja and I was dossing in the back (we had a Herald then). I awoke to find the van shaking violently, I struggled to the front to find her swearing at a German bus driver who's driving position was level with her on the inside lane of the two lane motorway. She was doing 80 and he was just tickling his throttle enough so that we wouldn't get past, stressful you bet but how we laughed when one of his elderly passengers staggered forward and started giving him a hard time and he slowed allowing us to pass and drop the speed back to a more sedate 65/70. The long queue of irate Barcelonans behind us gave us the bird in equal measure. There's always stress!:)[/QUOTE

:xrofl:......Ssshhhh:lipssealed: I will NOT be passing that onto Les

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Tip from me, we never drink the water in our tanks anyway, so we always have bottled water in our MH

Even if you do intend to drink your tank water having a bottle of water will always come in useful

:xThumb:
Yes you will need it to recover from the dehydration from the runs you got drinking the tank water.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
...so we have come up to Sheffield at VanComfort's place for them to make us some external blinds:xThumb:

We are going to be about 3 hours - but realised we haven't thought about what we are going to do while we wait.....we haven't even put any water in so's we can make a cuppa:xdoh:xroll:

We've still got alot to learn:xrofl:

Silly beggar:rolleyes: At the very least you should ALWAYS be able to make a cuppa. Never mind you'll learn(y)

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
...so we have come up to Sheffield at VanComfort's place for them to make us some external blinds:xThumb:

We are going to be about 3 hours - but realised we haven't thought about what we are going to do while we wait.....we haven't even put any water in so's we can make a cuppa:xdoh:xroll:

We've still got alot to learn:xrofl:

ask em fir a cuppa

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back