LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
If I am away from home and I watch TV via my PC how can they detect that I am watching TV? I understand the old detector system, but on a laptop?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You don't need a licence to watch Internet tv, so I'm told

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
You don't need a licence to watch Internet tv, so I'm told
That is correct, but theoretically you do if you have a TV card or stick. I think your home TV licence might cover this anyway

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
If you watch LIVE TV on any device you need s licence I believe but your home licence will cover it but if you watch catch up TV you do not need a licence
As for how they would know !!! Have no idea

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
err simply a case of ip address monitoring

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
err simply a case of ip address monitoring
Thats fine, but for example if I am using FON then the IP address is not mine, well you know what I mean. I doubt if they could do or prove anything,,,

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Our intelligence agency's can't even catch that many really bad guys so what chance have they of catching shifty watching Cora
Well that is a crime itself - a grown man watching soaps......:xwink:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You know what'll happen next , they will be licensing computers on ip addresses.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Our intelligence agency's can't even catch that many really bad guys so what chance have they of catching shifty watching Cora
believe it or not the intelligence agencies are very capable of monitoring any computer to access any suspicious website. there are watch lists for suspicious activity and those are whittled down to identify serious risks. if they took action against everyone on the watch lists, the prisons would be full. better to monitor their traffic to obtain evidence
traffic monitoring for virtually any website is very easy with the right tools and access to the servers, its what makes restricting access geographically possible. any site that streams live tv can be used to see who is accessing it and from where

a fon router's ip address will be on a list, and the computer/tablet/phone accessing it will be identifiable by a unique mac address

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
I think its about time the license was scrapped, yes apparently if you watch live tv on anything your suppose to pay the fee - But there are so many gadgets out nowadays i think its discriminating people - nearly all up to date mobile phones can watch tv, laptops an god knows what else - does this mean everyone with a mobile has to pay the fee ? what about the Itinerants ? I say if some or most pay it - everyone should pay otherwise scrap it !

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I think its about time the license was scrapped, yes apparently if you watch live tv on anything your suppose to pay the fee - But there are so many gadgets out nowadays i think its discriminating people - nearly all up to date mobile phones can watch tv, laptops an god knows what else - does this mean everyone with a mobile has to pay the fee ? what about the Itinerants ? I say if some or most pay it - everyone should pay otherwise scrap it !
You're probably right but changing the legislation isn't an important enough matter to allocate parliamentary time to at the moment.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
believe it or not the intelligence agencies are very capable of monitoring any computer to access any suspicious website. there are watch lists for suspicious activity and those are whittled down to identify serious risks. if they took action against everyone on the watch lists, the prisons would be full. better to monitor their traffic to obtain evidence
traffic monitoring for virtually any website is very easy with the right tools and access to the servers, its what makes restricting access geographically possible. any site that streams live tv can be used to see who is accessing it and from where

a fon router's ip address will be on a list, and the computer/tablet/phone accessing it will be identifiable by a unique mac address
I reckon that if you are connected to the internet they can spy on you... using a vpn makes it more tricky for them but I bet they can still find you if they really, really, really wanted to.

JJ :cool:
Of course it is possible to identify/monitor people using electronic devices. Logically no different from physical addresses or telephone landlines and desirable for the same reasons.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
If I am away from home and I watch TV via my PC how can they detect that I am watching TV? I understand the old detector system, but on a laptop?
Perhaps they rely on your honesty. This shouldn't be a problem in your own case and millions of others like you. We know and abide by the law.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Will share a quick strange coincidence (if it was) ...I have been in the same factory unit since 1998 and never had a TV there only listening device was a stereo - listen to cds not the radio as it has no aerial - couple of years ago i took an old TV to work just to store and while i had nowt to do one morning i got a piece of electrical (single core earth wire) and stuck it in the back of the TV and got a picture - there i was browsing a few channels for about half an hour - never used a TV at work ever - and this would have been very early (before 6am) A week later i had a letter from the TV Licensing people telling me if i have a TV i need a license - was that a coincidence ? I just ignored it at the time, about a month later i decided to try the same with the stereo so i could listen to the radio (fancied a change from cds) i was there working away with the radio on for about 4 hours and thought no more - A week later i had another letter from them saying as i was a business i needed to pay a fee if i listen to radio ? how the hell that happen ? I had another couple of letters after that asking me to pay up or get in touch with them - i did neither and heard nothing else - but i did remove the wire i used for an aerial in both TV & Stereo - bit of a head scratcher for me :xangry:

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Will share a quick strange coincidence (if it was) ...I have been in the same factory unit since 1998 and never had a TV there only listening device was a stereo - listen to cds not the radio as it has no aerial - couple of years ago i took an old TV to work just to store and while i had nowt to do one morning i got a piece of electrical (single core earth wire) and stuck it in the back of the TV and got a picture - there i was browsing a few channels for about half an hour - never used a TV at work ever - and this would have been very early (before 6am) A week later i had a letter from the TV Licensing people telling me if i have a TV i need a license - was that a coincidence ? I just ignored it at the time, about a month later i decided to try the same with the stereo so i could listen to the radio (fancied a change from cds) i was there working away with the radio on for about 4 hours and thought no more - A week later i had another letter from them saying as i was a business i needed to pay a fee if i listen to radio ? how the hell that happen ? I had another couple of letters after that asking me to pay up or get in touch with them - i did neither and heard nothing else - but i did remove the wire i used for an aerial in both TV & Stereo - bit of a head scratcher for me :xangry:

Been there with an almost identical scenario only without the radio. Factory unit, internal aerial and only yours truly allowed in. Letter arrived and decided I never really watched the c**p anyway so out it went and never heard from them again. Always closed the cludgie door after that :(

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
You watch TV?????:xeek:
Not watched it since mid October!!!!:xgrin::xThumb:
I haven't since we lost signal with new satellite at beginning of this year !
To save the continual dusting of the tv in lounge I've put the bag he came in back over it. :xgrin:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back