DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
So where is the "rip off"? Seems cheap enough to me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
no doubt our governors whoever they are will seize the opportunity to bang up the tax element ...robbin barstewards:xangry:

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
Nice...................at todays Visa interbank rate of euro1.2593 to the pound that makes a litre 83p.(y)
. . . . . . . . and no road fund licence (or whatever it is now called in the UK) to pay for in addition. It is included in the price of the fuel.

:xThumb::xThumb: :france:

John

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
And only once in three years paid to park! That was at Belgarde airport as i remember €1.50 for two hours!!!

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Nowt!! You do not need to use them!
Diesel today ... €1.05 per litre ......
no doubt our governors whoever they are will seize the opportunity to bang up the tax element ...robbin barstewards:xangry:
Even if the French don't use the toll roads they still have to pay a premium through everything that is transported via toll roads. All french pay for road tolls.:cool:

As far as UK fuel tax...we have now had a huge overnight reduction in our fuel prices, now paying just 112p ltr. Tax is a necessity and it has to come from somewhere. Workers don't want to pay more, pensioners don't want to pay more so in my view, while fuel prices are at a low let the government cream off some of these reductions in tax.

At 112p drivers are making big savings so why not let the rest of the population benefit with higher fuel tax, paying off our deficit rather than leaving our debt to our kids. You cant have it all ways.

Lets not forget why fuel prices were hyped in the first place. Our environment was under threat, this has not changed by the recent reduction in oil prices, in fact it will be worsened..

I say let the chancellor benefit from some of these savings by increasing fuel tax, it will benefit us all:xThumb: What do you think..........?

Last edited:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
fuel prices drop, pension companies heavily invest in fuel companies, profits drop, pensions drop....

fuel prices drop, ergo the tax on fuel drops, money has to come from somewhere....

other taxes go up......

and so it goes on.......

Ive said it befor, if you share out all the money in the world with all the poeple in the world, there wont be enough money. The king is dead, roll on Easter

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
And whats the average spend on tolls over a year?

We normally only use the toll road from Abbeville to Boulogne as the N1 can be a real pain in the sit-upon, especially when pulling a trailer. There are so many villages and round-abouts that it is, possibly, cost-effective to use the péage. I think we were charges about 12€ last month.

John

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
We normally only use the toll road from Abbeville to Boulogne as the N1 can be a real pain in the sit-upon, especially when pulling a trailer. There are so many villages and round-abouts that it is, possibly, cost-effective to use the péage. I think we were charges about 12€ last month
John
You will of course be making a contribution towards road tolls in every product or service you purchase in France as most services use toll roads to transport your goods. Hidden cost but still toll charges.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
there's more to the quality of life than the price of fuel.. or indeed Autoroute tolls..
and don't care if diesel were only 5p a lt in France.. or even free.. it wouldn't induce me to live there.

Nice to visit.. nice beaches and great aires.. but always nice to get home.. I still prefer living in the UK

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Tolls are more equitable then if they are shared around the community by prices on commodities. That should please the members of Fun's politburo. As with everything it all comes down to choice. If I decide to move by an optimum route that costs then so be it. I'd actually be in favour of toll routes in the UK if it meant better road surfaces and fewer local drivers using the motorway as a rat run around cities causing hold ups.

OP
OP
stcyr

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
We certainly could not afford to live in UK, let alone live well as we can here ... fact. :xsmile:

OP
OP
stcyr

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
... by a huge margin in all respects ...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I've lived abroad.. South Africa for 6 years, one of my boys was born in Jo'burg, so have a good knowledge and experience of moving and living abroad.
SA is an English speaking country, so there was no language barrier.. climate was fantastic.. we lived the dream.. we traveled to Rhodesia, (as it was then) Mozambique, Botswana and South West Africa.. had a fantastic time... I made great money, lived in a four bed villa with pool , large garden .. but it wasn't home.. never was.. never could be no matter how long we had stayed.. we would always be immigrants .. outsiders.. we came home almost penniless with only a suitcase each.

We also spend nearly three years traveling in the RV, mostly in France, but never felt I wanted to live there.. Main reason is the different language and culture.. yes, the French people are nice , and yes the weather is generally better, a slower pace of life perhaps.. quieter roads etc but not to live permanently.. I'd miss friends and family too much.. could never feel it was 'home' .. nice to visit..

Today, now retired, we live in a lovely rural part of Suffolk.. close to the coast with beautiful scenery ... fishing is good, we have a good quality of life, good neighbours.. no crime, good climate,close to the lovely market town of Woodbridge.. .. what more do you want or need.. ?

Each to their own.. if you live abroad and like it.. that's great .. but I found that no matter where you travel or where you live, life is what you make it.. if you keep telling people how good it is then maybe you are trying to convince yourself.. not others.

I'd rate my quality of life as 10/10 ... imo .. there is nowhere as good as the UK..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back