50% off FON Boxes with Voucher Code (1 Viewer)

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
So, is this how you then access the wifi when away, by leaving your box at home and turned on so that is 'location 1' and you being away would be 'location 2'? If so, what's to stop you 'sharing' it with a friend who's on holiday at any time, regardless of where you are? In effect you could come to an 'arrangement' with another person so they can get internet access abroad without it costing them a bean .. or have I got that wrong?

Home is not 'location 1'.

Your username and password you select during the registration process is what can be used in 5 different locations. You could share that with 5 people if you wished.

So if you were parked outside my house you could only use one device at a time on my FON hotspot (unless you had an iBoost for example). However 4 other people could be using your login details in 4 different locations (France, Germany, Portugal and Greece for arguments sake).

Thanks for all the useful info. Have just ordered the Fon box. I Am with BT at the moment but the contract is near the end & their pencil sharpener seems to be broken, so am looking round to see what else is on offer. Sadly not a lot, It seems I have a choice of BT or Plusnet, neither of which can offer me fibre?
Will the Fon box work with all landline based broadbands?

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
mostly right....just you leave the fon box plugged in at home. connect to fon hotspots by wifi using your fon username and password
All new to me too. If I'm reading this right. The fon box you buy stays at home. Connected to my router. I then when in France search for local wifi connection (fon) and log in using my fon log in details set up at home. I'm assuming this will be easier to find a signal with the i boost pro as well. I'm about to purchase so any help would be appreciated

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
If you leave this on and give free connection to anyone. Question 1 would be do they only get connection to the Fon and not your router. Question 2 I'm with Virgin media with unlimited internet so no problem with limits but how do we stand with giving an open internet is this allowed in the contracts? question 3 anybody got a 50% discount code for the i boost (y)

OP
OP
Addie

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Q: If you leave this on and give free connection to anyone.
Not 'anyone' - only FON users to user who pay to log on.

Q: Would be do they only get connection to the Fon and not your router.
Correct. The FON is totally separate to your home network - it is impossible for them to access it.

Q: I'm with Virgin media with unlimited internet so no problem with limits but how do we stand with giving an open internet is this allowed in the contracts?
You're not giving an open internet connection. I'm not aware of anyone ever having an issue on this nature.

Q: anybody got a 50% discount code for the iBoost
I'm afraid not - I'd not be online / answering e-mails at 9PM if there was ;)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
If you leave this on and give free connection to anyone. Question 1 would be do they only get connection to the Fon and not your router. Question 2 I'm with Virgin media with unlimited internet so no problem with limits but how do we stand with giving an open internet is this allowed in the contracts? question 3 anybody got a 50% discount code for the i boost (y)

Question 1: no access to your router or personal network, they only get internet access

Question 2: Your service provider will not be aware of connection.

Question 3: IN YOUR DREAMS.....................

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Mine has been connected to Virgin well over 2 yrs
CA_07221321522911-L.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Q: If you leave this on and give free connection to anyone.
Not 'anyone' - only FON users to user who pay to log on.

Q: Would be do they only get connection to the Fon and not your router.
Correct. The FON is totally separate to your home network - it is impossible for them to access it.

Q: I'm with Virgin media with unlimited internet so no problem with limits but how do we stand with giving an open internet is this allowed in the contracts?
You're not giving an open internet connection. I'm not aware of anyone ever having an issue on this nature.

Q: anybody got a 50% discount code for the iBoost
I'm afraid not - I'd not be online / answering e-mails at 9PM if there was ;)
Excellent. Thanks for the reply. Seems this is what we are after with the i boost (y)

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Already have the I Boost so now ordered the Fon box, only snag is it is being delivered to daughters in England and we are in the Algarve so a bit of patience is required

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Sorted. It's on its way. :clap2: Thanks everyone. Addie I'll be in contact for the i boost(y)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Already have the I Boost so now ordered the Fon box, only snag is it is being delivered to daughters in England and we are in the Algarve so a bit of patience is required

Alan, she can plug it in and set it up. Just make sure she uses a good email address and password that you can remember. It is menu driven and takes about 10 minutes to get set up.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Will the Fon box work with all landline based broadbands?
It will work with any broadband, provided you are willing to share a small part of it. Having said that. I don't think anyone has ever logged on via mine. In theory, you could even use it with a 3 or 4G mifi router, so long as you set the bandwidth sharing to a minimum. You would almost certainly use more bandwidth via other peoples' FON Spots than anyone would use on yours, depending a bit on where yours was. Probably not a good idea to plug it into your 3G router while at a FUN rally!

So long as you have an existing router with a spare ethernet port, you can connect their router to yours & make a FON spot available. If you go with BT, you don't need their router, so long as you use the BT supplied one, which doubles up as a FON Spot anyway.

Baggers53

Free Member
Dec 30, 2013
Stafford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I think I follow most of the above.......and have just ordered a FON box using the 50%
discount....I will let folk know how I get on

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)

Alan, she can plug it in and set it up. Just make sure she uses a good email address and password that you can remember. It is menu driven and takes about 10 minutes to get set up.
Spot on. FON don't care where your FON router connects to the internet, just that it is connected using your account details. So if your daughter is prepared to share a little bit of her bandwidth, she can plug it in to her router, register it with the email & password you tell her, then once it's on-line, you can use the same details to log into any other FOB Spot worldwide.

This could be useful for anyone who wants to use the FON network, but doesn't have a permanent broadband connection to add the FON router to. You just have to find someone else willing to let you connect your FON router to their existing router. As far as I know, you can even connect more than one FON router to the same broadband connection. Very few users ever get anywhere near the download limits of their connection, so there is usually plenty to share around. Could be very useful for full-timers.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
I boost arrived today. Good service Addie. Thanks for the advice. Waiting for Fon box now.
We are away at Xmas so I'll let you all know how we get on. If I can get on line that is(y)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Just bought one as a result of your posting - thanks Addie.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I have Addies first version of iboost and I'm connected to CC wifi just now with four devices connected to it that would be impossible without. Same when I have a FON spot.
65mbs connection too, pretty good for CC

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
iboost arrived next day. :xThumb: Fon box arrived today and set up was very easy 20 mins including unpacking. Thanks all for the information so far so good:xgrin:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I bought mine last year, thanks to Addie. It has been great and helped me out on many occasions; my O2 3G is terrible and I've had far more success logging on to the web with Fon than with O2.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Seems like a lot of places to log on with wifi. Need to sort the best data roaming next for Europe on the phones.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Last edited:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
In anticipation of changing from BT to Talk Talk or Plus Net, I bought one & it arrived yesterday:xThumb:

However it turns out that Talk Talk have decided that they cannot provide broadband in my area -at all
& Plus Net can but only at 7Mb & dearer than BT:xangry: Which leaves me with 8Mb from BT so the Fon box is NLR:xsad:.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
All ok folks. No signal at campsite. Bloody big toilet block in front. But sat at gwithian towans car park overlooking St Ives and works a treat with I boost. Thanks and a big thumbs up Addie.:xThumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back