Slow to react cruise control fault (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi All,

We have a post purchase (before we got it) cruise control on our X244 Fiat Hobby 650.
Whilst it's fine providing that we are on non undulating roads (flat to you and me) it works fine and copes very well.
The problem lies when the road say, goes into and out of a valley.
The cruise holds the 'van well on the downward part but, unless there is a flat part at the bottom, ie the road starts to climb, (and it doesn't have to go up much), then the same setting that held the van on the hill takes an age, approx 7-10secs to react to the change in topography.
As a result the speed drops off to the point that I have to change down thus negating the need for cruise.
Another example of this cruise malfunction is if say, we are going up an incline that the cruise is coping with. When we get to the top of the incline, instead of automatically throttling back, the cruise continues to chuck fuel into the system as if we are still climbing. It then takes about 7-10secs before the van gradually slows down to the prearranged speed. This can result in some breathtaking speeds if the incline is replaced by a downward section of road until normal service is resumed.
Look, I'm not expecting the same brilliance as I get in our Audi but I would have thought that it would be more reactive.

Any thoughts anyone. Is this a fixable repair and can anyone point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
It's down to the calibration, I have just redone mine for the same problem and to improve fuel consumption.

Do you know what cruise you have fitted?

Post a photo of the control stalk and someone will probably identify it.

Cheers

David.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Thanks for that Dave

Apparently??? it's a CM35 stalk that looks like this.
upload_2014-12-17_16-56-3.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Thanks for that David but from where I am it looks to be written in Swalili LOL.
Thanks for your continued input. At least I'm now, knowledgewise in the right area to get it fixed.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Any idea who fitted it? It sounds like a straight forward re calibration is required, not difficult once you know what you're doing but the instructions can seem complicated at first. If you're going to be anywhere near Telford any time soon let me know and I can sort it for you.

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Thanks for that Dave. I'll ring your place to find out your opening hours. We are up in the area quite soon.

Doh!!! Note to self. Wake up. We're in the area in the car, not the waggon.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back