Halogen oven help! (1 Viewer)

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
I've read several posts on these ovens but would still like advice from you lovely people, please. Having read (on Fun and elsewhere) how great they are, I bought a small one for the MH to use when on EHU. I've been trying it out at home and the results have been disappointing to say the least!
Stuffed chicken breasts on the high shelf were OK. Cake was burnt on top, raw at the bottom. Ditto a loaf. I tried a casserole but the vegetables (cut into small pieces) were uncooked.
I tested the temperature of the oven - if there's anything in the top, the bottom doesn't go above 150c.
Any ideas? I don't want to lug it around if it's not going to earn its keep.
Karen

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as you found if anything gets in the way heat cant penetrate the bottom.

Heat rises, it doesnt fall....as as the heating 'element' is at the top it comes as no surprise.

OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
There is a fan, pappajohn, I'm thinking with no space round any food that may be at the top the fan can't function very well? But even with just one item being cooked, it was a very hit and miss affair.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
We gave ours to the charity shop......
Cheers, Dave(y)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
There is a fan, pappajohn, I'm thinking with no space round any food that may be at the top the fan can't function very well? But even with just one item being cooked, it was a very hit and miss affair.
Ok...didnt realise that but davejen has the right idea....charity shop would welcome it.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Ours cooked fine, but I couldn't stand that lighthouse coming on every few seconds.
(I'm not qualified to give advice, however).

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Stuffed chicken breasts on the high shelf were OK. Cake was burnt on top, raw at the bottom. Ditto a loaf. I tried a casserole but the vegetables (cut into small pieces) were uncooked.
I tested the temperature of the oven - if there's anything in the top, the bottom doesn't go above 150c.
Hubby loves his full sized one but you do have to be careful not to overfill it so that the warm air/heat can circulate properly, also you have to remember to cover the food at the top to prevent it burning/being over cooked especially for things that take a bit of time, and/or use the low rack instead of the high one.

As for the casserole - how long did you cook it for? The smaller halogen ovens do take longer to cook things than the larger ones so you have to allow for that.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Remoska, Remoska, Remoska ......... Out cooks everything else, if you don't have a van oven that is.

We have a Remoska and a slow cooker in our van and no oven. Between these two I can cook anything that I could in a house. When not on EHU I have a double skillet and really good quality saucpans. Slow cook joints can be done outside on the Cadac (in nice weather) and the slow cooker works on the inverter whilst driving.

Had a halagoen but as the non-qualified Toots said, you need welding glasses when it's in use. Plus they take up as a lot of room, I ended up giving it away.

Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
Hi, we've got a 40 quid summat-Shef from Amazon & it's great. However, we don't eat cakes or bread.

We do eat wild salmon in a cook-bag with butter & spices, with healthy spicy wedges in foil & dressed salad with Prosecco fizz & it's delicious. Also use it for ready meals in a foil tray & chips. It's far quicker than the Remoska & warms the van, SWMBO sits at the back with her shades on & I just don't look at the lamp & it doesn't bother me.

Regarding heating, if you fill the top rack completely it reduces the heat on the bottom rack so we just switch stuff around or leave gaps around whatever's on the top.

We did buy the chips/wedges doofer that fits on top. It does what we want but, I guess totally unsuitable for more sophisticated cooking.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We have a small one and when on ehu we have saved a fortune on gas.
I love my halogen oven, I do cover food with foil when it needs a slower cooking time. I love the baked spuds from it. I dip have to turn food but I find it great.
I keep mine in the gas oven so it doesn't take up any room. It is the smaller one, the big one wouldn't fit do I deliberately bought the smaller one.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Used to use halogen oven but much prefer the Remoska when on hook-up and a Mr D's thermal cooker when not.
We've also used a slow cooker in the van but to be honest the thermal cooker works just as well and much more economical

OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for replies, as expected mixed opinions. The lighthouse effect hasn't bothered us so far. I didn't want to spend too much so the Remoska and Mr D were excluded. We do have a gas oven but wanted an alternative for EHU.
As for the casserole - how long did you cook it for?
Probably about 1.5 hrs, maybe not long enough.
It does what we want but, I guess totally unsuitable for more sophisticated cooking.
LOL I'm anything but a sophisticated cook! I tried bread and cake because someone on the net said "these turn out great every time". I'm very gullible. I should know better, I don't get great results very often at all.
TrisnandTerry, gillnphil thanks for positive comments, I'll persevere, it's certainly not going to the charity shop......yet.

Karen

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
1.5 hours for a casserole is nothing, I don't think it would even be cooked in a 'standard' oven at home after that length of time, to be honest though if you want to do stuff like that you'd be better off with a slow cooker if you have electric or a pressure cooker for gas or electric. I have a pressure cooker in the camper, and having used one since I was a kid at home I wouldn't be without it! I have medium sized one (6 or 7L I think) and it doubles up as a large saucepan for cooking rice, pasta, chips etc too ... without the lid tightened I hasten to add!!! I've even cooked a chicken in it and it was beautifully succulent and soft ... mmmm.

Oh, forgot to say, if you don't like the 'light show' from a halogen oven just put a towel over it ..... simples!

OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Oh, forgot to say, if you don't like the 'light show' from a halogen oven just put a towel over it ..... simples!
Is that safe??
Despite raising 2 now adult sons I'm not a good cook, try out recipes and results are poor. I have no idea why. I was given a pressure cooker some years ago (very old solid one) but no instructions so that's in the cupboard.
Perhaps I should accept the inevitable - I ain't never gonna be Fanny Craddock.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Is that safe??
So long as you don't block the vents on the oven it shouldn't be a problem, obviously you should NOT leave it covered when unattended!

Despite raising 2 now adult sons I'm not a good cook
, try out recipes and results are poor. I have no idea why. I was given a pressure cooker some years ago (very old solid one) but no instructions so that's in the cupboard.
... You're not Rhea from 'Butterflies' are you!!!! :LOL:

As for the pressure cooker, some people are very frightened of them but they don't take a lot to master, they key is to keep the pressure-up without having too much steam coming out, it's just down to practice really - have a shuftie on the web and you'll find some instructions as they all work pretty much in the same way/for the same timings. They are fantastic for making soup ... I made some lovely pumpkin soup the other days ... mmmmmmm.:D

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
Having had mixed results with hologen in van we nearly decided to have a oven fitted,but when coated I am now trying to cook all meals at home in halogen. It is easier to play with at home and I am getting better. I think we may have to give it just one more long trip before the jury reaches a conclusion.(y) Martin

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Had a full size halogen and found it quite successful once we got the hang of it. But it was just too heavy and felt a bit vulnerable when washing the bowl, storing it away for travel etc. Invested in a little electric oven from Lidl for £35 and found this much lighter to handle and easier to get on with (as it's just a conventional oven). Very quick to get to temperature and silent except for the ticking timer. The old halogen was given to a friend who was lusting after one but I understand it now lives in a charity shop (the cooker not the friend, yet)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Must admit to being taken in by the halogen claims - carted it around in the caravan for a couple of years and haven't put it in the camper yet. Jury is still out.

Not sure what shape other peoples are but ours was like a large bowl shape with the cooker element in the lid.

Whenever I tried to check what I was cooking the sloping bottom meant the rack was always tipping sideways and dumping the food into the bottom:wasntme:

Got a bit too frustrating.:banghead:

OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
... You're not Rhea from 'Butterflies' are you!!!! :LOL:
Oh darn, my secret's out.
Invested in a little electric oven from Lidl for £35
This is something I'm also considering IF I don't succeed with the halogen.
Whenever I tried to check what I was cooking the sloping bottom meant the rack was always tipping sideways and dumping the food into the bottom:wasntme:
Yup also have that problem. It all seems to be a bit of a faff.
Mr reck is working tonight so cooking just for self - going to try chicken pesto with small roasties. There's always toast if it ends up in the bin (n)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
let me know if you find a way of not tipping the food up, it may persuade me to try again(y):D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Not sure why the food would tip up? If you need to remove the stuff on top of the rack to check underneath you get some 'tongs' for that purpose.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Must admit to being taken in by the halogen claims - carted it around in the caravan for a couple of years and haven't put it in the camper yet. Jury is still out.

Not sure what shape other peoples are but ours was like a large bowl shape with the cooker element in the lid.

Got a bit too frustrating.:banghead:

See post #19 Mel :)

Still don't understand though, the rack should sit on the flat bottom of the bowl not on the sloping sides - did you have the correct rack and/or bowl?

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Still don't understand though, the rack should sit on the flat bottom of the bowl not on the sloping sides - did you have the correct rack and/or bowl?
Ours doesn't have a flat bottom though, imagine a large mixing bowl...then a rack rack with 3 legs, any time you make the slightest adjustment to the food on the rack it tips up - believe me, I've tried everything I can think of:( Just a bad design.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Just been trying to find a pic of one similar to ours but they've all got flat bottoms now, typical:rolleyes:. We've had ours a year or two.

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Ours doesn't have a flat bottom though, imagine a large mixing bowl...then a rack rack with 3 legs, any time you make the slightest adjustment to the food on the rack it tips up - believe me, I've tried everything I can think of:( Just a bad design.

You've probably tried it but would foil on the bottom of the legs squished and moulded to fit the shape of the bowl work?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I must start using mine in the house - never did take it in the van as I like the slow cooker so much.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
You've probably tried it but would foil on the bottom of the legs squished and moulded to fit the shape of the bowl work?
I have, with varying degree of success, depending on what was being cooked(y) - I fear it may be winging it's way to the charity shop. At least it will free up a little space in our garage at home:D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back