Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
dethleffs
Exp
Still a newbie
Hi guys

quick question
can you run the truma heater/water heater in the van with the van drained of water.
I just want to test the heating in the van and put it on now and again without having to fill and drain the water each time

OP
OP
Spade

Spade

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
dethleffs
Exp
Still a newbie
^^^^^^^^^
I am.
I should have quoted the model number.
At the time I thought there could only be one type of heater like a car for example.
I am definitely a beginner!
I have another question so I am going to start another thread.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
^^^^^^^^^
I am.
I should have quoted the model number.
At the time I thought there could only be one type of heater like a car for example.
I am definitely a beginner!
I have another question so I am going to start another thread.

Careful :rofl:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
My apologies, there was no intention of "addressing you as a child", I was simply trying (obviously badly) to make the point that before accurate advice can be given all relevant facts need to be known.

Sorry to have upset you so much but I really don't understand the "advice police" jibe. I said "ignore Tootles" on the basis that the advice you gave was inaccurate and possibly misleading even if given with the best of intentions, not because of any other reason and I fully acknowledge that it was a very poor choice of words on my part, I did apologise in my next post but if it makes you feel better then I hereby apologise un-reservedly for my poor choice of words and their result.

D.
No problems Dave. :):) And thank you for your post.

Upvote 0

pamie

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
I'm a newbie
I was going to ask this same question this morning we are off again this weekend and its going to be cold i am even more confused now, is it as long as i keep the gas heating on it should not dump the water ?

Pamie

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Pamie,

The temperature in our MH this morning was 3 degrees, and the anti frost valve hadn't operated.

If you don't want heating but want to keep the valve up, switch on the boiler to the heat setting, and turn the thermostat right down.....................or stick a clothes peg round the valve stem.

Cheers for now,

Jock.

Upvote 0

pamie

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
I'm a newbie
Pamie,

The temperature in our MH this morning was 3 degrees, and the anti frost valve hadn't operated.

If you don't want heating but want to keep the valve up, switch on the boiler to the heat setting, and turn the thermostat right down.....................or stick a clothes peg round the valve stem.

Cheers for now,

Jock.
I suppose you mean by valve stem being when i dump the water the button that pops out to reset when it is empty ?

Upvote 0

pamie

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
I'm a newbie
should i be telling you its LPG under the van not a bottle

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I suppose you mean by valve stem being when i dump the water the button that pops out to reset when it is empty ?
Just as there are different types of heater/boilers (some can be used without water, others can't), there are different types of frost protection water dump valves. Some can be easily held in the closed position by putting a peg on them, because they have an exposed rod that can be prevented from moving by the peg. I suspect yours has a pop-out button & possibly a blue tap-like object on the top. I don't think these can easily be held closed by a peg.

You are correct, if the heating is on, the valve should stay closed. I'm not sure if yours stays closed because of electric power from the boiler or not, as others suggest might be the case, but once the heating is on, even on it's lowest setting, the temperature inside the van shouldn't drop far enough for the valve to open.

Personally, I'm not sure I'd ever want to override the valve's operation if the temperature dropped, but I have a heater/boiler that can be operated while empty. So I can heat the van enough for the valve to stay shut before refilling the tank.

Upvote 0

Campfos

Free Member
Jul 6, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Quick question for all the experts, if you use Gaslow cylinder R67 with the excess flow valves is that the same idea as the secu motion regulator for using the heater when driving van.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
As Dave explains above, once the heater is switched on (water only, or heating), the frost protection valve is powered. We have often run our Truma C whilst the hot water tank is empty, and when ready, have filled up with fresh water, including the hot water tank, and haven't had a problem at all.

Sometimes at night, if not too cold outside, we'll turn the thermostat right down which allows us to keep a tankful of hot water, without being too hot, but have instant heat in the morning.

During cold winter nights, we turn the thermostat down to anywhere from 17 to 20 degrees (depending upon outside temperatures), and the heating kicks in and out during the night to maintain an ambient temperature of somewhere around 18 degrees.

With a German manufactured and TUV approved heating system, I absolutely refuse to turn off the heating in our MH at night during winter, and will also have it functional whilst travelling too..................cos that's how it was designed to operate, ie, safely, (y) along with the gas shut off system.

Cheers for now,

Jock.

Yes exactly as we did with the last 2 Hymers Jock, I,ve never thought it a good idea to put a peg on the valve
either.

Paul.

Upvote 0

pamie

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just as there are different types of heater/boilers (some can be used without water, others can't), there are different types of frost protection water dump valves. Some can be easily held in the closed position by putting a peg on them, because they have an exposed rod that can be prevented from moving by the peg. I suspect yours has a pop-out button & possibly a blue tap-like object on the top. I don't think these can easily be held closed by a peg.

You are correct, if the heating is on, the valve should stay closed. I'm not sure if yours stays closed because of electric power from the boiler or not, as others suggest might be the case, but once the heating is on, even on it's lowest setting, the temperature inside the van shouldn't drop far enough for the valve to open.

Personally, I'm not sure I'd ever want to override the valve's operation if the temperature dropped, but I have a heater/boiler that can be operated while empty. So I can heat the van enough for the valve to stay shut before refilling the tank.
Thank you very much that clears alot of worry, yes our's is the pop-out button with i think it is a red tap, if it dumps the water i will turn it off and use my backup elec oil heaters, I could use the elec heaters when on a site but prefer the blown air heat all round not just in pockets with the elec, so we are going to be like toast this weekend good excuse to wak it up

Upvote 0

pamie

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you very much that clears alot of worry, yes our's is the pop-out button with i think it is a red tap, if it dumps the water i will turn it off and use my backup elec oil heaters, I could use the elec heaters when on a site but prefer the blown air heat all round not just in pockets with the elec, so we are going to be like toast this weekend good excuse to wak it up
No problem had a lovely toasty long weekend it did go below freezing but not a problem left the hot water on turned the gas heating down to about 18 turned up the electric heater perfect then when i wanted a bit more heat put the gas up why did i worry mind you if it was 2 foot of snow i would not be out there i don't like snow

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Pleased to hear it all went well & thanks for reporting back.

Upvote 0

pamie

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
I'm a newbie
Pleased to hear it all went well & thanks for reporting back.
Thank you for the reassurance and help to be able to still go out at this time of the year is great still alot to learn about our MH loving it-- the caravan would of been packed up in september not to be used till next spring what freedom you get with a MH

Upvote 0

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Thank you for the reassurance and help to be able to still go out at this time of the year is great still alot to learn about our MH loving it-- the caravan would of been packed up in september not to be used till next spring what freedom you get with a MH

Well put(y)

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Yep, been there and done that. :(

Glad that you are sorted Pamie, and are enjoying your MH, which is a quality built German model, designed to cope with winter weather. (y)

Cheers,

Jock.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back