Mercedes Sprinter 2.7 5 cylinder. 2002 (1 Viewer)

slverdreamers

Free Member
Nov 22, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
18yrs
Looking at purchasing an A class van fitted with this engine automatic, I believe it is chain driven, (one reason for buying it) but my brother insists it is belt driven
Any one advise please
Pete

Deleted User
Looking at purchasing an A class van fitted with this engine automatic, I believe it is chain driven, (one reason for buying it) but my brother insists it is belt driven
Any one advise please
Pete

Chain driven, very good engine even if a bit growly, good for 250,000 miles

spongy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pneumatician

Free Member
Feb 22, 2009
Burntwood Staffs
Funster No
MH
La Strada,
Exp
since 2000
The camshafts in mine are quite definatly chain driven. Rear wheels driven via gearbox and differential :) It might pay to do a little research into the automatic gearbox I had the choice of either and decided upon a manual after reading comments on the web.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Cam is chain driven

There is a grooved V belt which goes around numerous tensioner pullies and drives the water pump, alternator, power steering and numerous other takes offs. Wise to carry a spare one of these. Sometimes referred to as the serpentine belt.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
There were two kinds of 'auto' gearbox fitted with this engine. One, the more common, is called a 'Sprintshift' and is a six-speed automated manual box. I.e. it has an automatic clutch and can be left to shift on its own, or can be selected manually. The other is a five-speed full auto with a torque converter.
There have been reports of the Sprintshift having a few reliability problems but many motorhomers have had good experiences with them. Daimler stopped fitting this box some time ago.
Mine has the full auto 5-speed box and I think it's great. It too can be over-ridden manually by moving the selecter to the right or left to change up and down. But I rarely bother to do it unless I really have to force engine braking. The box is an 'auto-adaptive' variety and senses when engine braking is required, changing down of its own accord if you are going down a steep hill and touch the brakes.

sadlonelygit

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
since 1975
fantastic engine with shed loads of torque. make sure you get it nice and hot on your test run, turn it off, then restart it a minute later........just to check the cam sensor, a potential (annoying) weak point.
oh.......it's chain driven cam btw

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Fantastic gearbox when running right, pain in the arse when not. As stated (if it's the same as mine 2001) it is a hydraulically operated manual gearbox, had terrible probs for a while until a man who new what he was doing put a new hydraulic pump on it (£1000 fitted) this is treated as a consumable apparently on this vehicle, would'nt let it put you off though. A joy to drive.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
My first motorhome had this engine with the sprintshift box and it was the most unreliable vehicle I have ever owned, even taking 25year old cars into account when I started driving!. Most - but not all - of the problems were to do with the gearbox which, on several occasions simply decided to stop changing gears. I know some people rate Mercedes and this engine but I don't! My next (and all subsequent vans) have been based on the Peugeot / fiat which - despite some issues - have been much more reliable and also much nicer to drive.

The sprintshift box (I discovered after I had bought it!) had a very bad reputation, and poor sales. Basically only motorhomes (and a few Tesco vans) had it. Mercedes eventually sold it to VW who then modified it to make it work rather better.

At least the Mercedes call out service worked well!

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
I've had 2 with sprintshift boxes, no trouble from either, the previous owner of my present van had the up-rated relays fitted as these were a source of some problems I believe.
Cheers, Dave(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back