Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Horror-story-Something-missing.jpg
At fist glance it looks like the Garage or fitter forgot to put the nut on
this was spotted at an MoT test so all was well
However a similar incident resulted in an accident where by the police and accident investigators were involved, at the scene a few meters away the nut was found split into two halves!!
So maybe this nut was fitted also, who knows? only the fitter and his God,
He will have a hell of a job proving he did, I know he would never convince anyone here
Is it cheap Chinese e bay parts :eek:
G

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Well Geo looking at the picture it appears to me that a cotter pin is in place. I wouldn't think anyone would go to the trouble of putting in a cotter pin if they had not replaced the nut do you? It also looks as if the face of the ball joint around the area where the bolt comes through is not showing any corrosion that to me indicates it was covered up I favour the nut split and disappeared myself.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I favour the nut split and disappeared
Absolutely correct. A high tensile castellated nut is required at fitments such as steering swivels. To fit mild steel is not good enough. My money is on a mild steel nut having been fitted in the past, and not necessarily by the last fitter to take it apart.
Is the photo of the top link, or the bottom??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Absolutely correct. A high tensile castellated nut is required at fitments such as steering swivels. To fit mild steel is not good enough. My money is on a mild steel nut having been fitted in the past, and not necessarily by the last fitter to take it apart.
Is the photo of the top link, or the bottom??
It may not have been the wrong type of nut. Castellated nuts have been known to split when a crack starts at the base of one of the castellation cuts.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
It may not have been the wrong type of nut. Castellated nuts have been known to split when a crack starts at the base of one of the castellation cuts.
Agreed, but a process far less likely to occur if the nut is high-tensile. :)

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
Blimey not seen that before I wonder if it was the old nut refitted or a dodgy new one. Couldn't be much worse than a bottom ball joint. I for one will be checking my nuts more carefully in future.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Agreed, but a process far less likely to occur if the nut is high-tensile. :)
Not so the not is not the tensile item the bolt is, they are normally the same material anyway but they do crack through especially if overtightened to get the hole lined up. Most metric bolts are 8.8 or higher unless you go to B&Q for carrot steel.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back