Condensation on the windscreen (1 Viewer)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
s posted this morning, I ordered the external screen from John Cross,
That's the way to go, and if you don't have any internal concertina blinds, your external blinds will also be useful for keeping the heat out in scorching weather too. (y)

Cheers,

Jock.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just a word of warning, Vax also do a window vacuum but they are a poor quality/performing unit compared to the Karcher one if the reviews are anything to go by.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
This is the though.. so if it runs at 0.5a then an 85ah battery will run it for hours .. I know the inverter is inneficient....

Firstly, the ad is confusing. It claims to be 0.8kW in the heading & 120W in the text. 0.8kW is 800W. Further down again it is listed as 0.12kW, so lets assume the 12oW is correct - although it doesn't sound a lot for a heater that is 810mm long.

It uses approx 0.5A to produce 120W when connected to a 230V supply. But when connected to a 12V supply, it will need to draw 10A to produce the same 120W. Even though you are running it through the inverter at 230V, the power still has to come from the battery. Add in the inverter losses & it will draw 11-12A. Even with nothing else using battery power, your 85Ah battery will be down to less than 50% (the lowest you should routinely let it drop to before recharging) in around 4 hrs - or less, because it's only an 85Ah battery if you take a maximum of 4A continuous out of it at a temperature of 25 degrees C. And it won't be at 25 degrees C if you need to be using the heater!

I so need a physics gcse
Yup.:)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Firstly, the ad is confusing. It claims to be 0.8kW in the heading & 120W in the text. 0.8kW is 800W. Further down again it is listed as 0.12kW, so lets assume the 12oW is correct - although it doesn't sound a lot for a heater that is 810mm long.

It uses approx 0.5A to produce 120W when connected to a 230V supply. But when connected to a 12V supply, it will need to draw 10A to produce the same 120W. Even though you are running it through the inverter at 230V, the power still has to come from the battery. Add in the inverter losses & it will draw 11-12A. Even with nothing else using battery power, your 85Ah battery will be down to less than 50% (the lowest you should routinely let it drop to before recharging) in around 4 hrs - or less, because it's only an 85Ah battery if you take a maximum of 4A continuous out of it at a temperature of 25 degrees C. And it won't be at 25 degrees C if you need to be using the heater!

Yup.:)(y)

Thank you..

Back to the drawing board....

OP
OP
Hotelman
Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Just had an email to say my external screen will delivered between 08.27 and 09.27 this morning , amazing service.....

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Just had an email to say my external screen will delivered between 08.27 and 09.27 this morning , amazing service.....
You'll be amazed at how much warmer the cab area of your MH will be, and also how little hassle the screens are, compared to all that mopping up. (y)

It's 10.28. Have you tried them out yet? ;)

Cheers,

Jock.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Anyway, I am pleased that my post has created so much interest....as posted this morning, I ordered the external screen from John Cross, within 90 mins I had an email confirming it has been dispatched and it will be delivered tomorrow. GREAT service.

Well done you've made the right choice better than any gadget and stops condensation and subsequent damage.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Well done you've made the right choice better than any gadget and stops condensation and subsequent damage.
We too have the external screens and they do stop the condensation but saying that they are the 'right' choice is relative to what you are doing at the time! We do a lot of wild-camping so putting on our external screens is not a sensible option then, therefore having something that then will remove the condensation in the morning is the RIGHT choice at that time ... :)

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Yes Minx, I agree. We wild camp and/or use Aires so although we had silver screens for a year we hardly used them (need to sell them, brand new condition for ducato) and now have different front end so have bought a Karcher wv70 today in b&q reduced to £50

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
I have to admit, that when wild camping (rarely) we don't use internal or external screens, but close off the curtains that seaprate the cab from the habitation area instead, (which keeps all the cab windows clear), just in case we need a quick departure at any time. (y)

Cheers,

Jock.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
As posted several times,external screens keep condensation off windscreen-however,on the day you are leaving don't take screens off and then cook breakfast,make hot drinks and do washing up etc.
You will have condensation to sort out then-I used to take them off and open cab windows but Carolyn would complain that it was too cold,too early :eek:
Take them off when you are ready to leave (y)

sadlonelygit

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
since 1975
what is wrong with a 4" blade and a towel? considerably cheaper/lighter than a karcher and the battery never runs out when you need it!!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
We only use our external screens from October through to end of March, and they are the last thing we put away, before starting the engine to move off, otherwise the very dry screen begins to mist up due to the temperature differential.
on the day you are leaving don't take screens off and then cook breakfast,make hot drinks and do washing up etc.
You will have condensation to sort out then-
Take them off when you are ready to leave

Snap. (y)

Jock.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Every time I read the title of this thread I start thinking of 'blanket on the ground'

try it ! :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back