Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
C class lowline
Exp
Since 2011
Hi I'm new here but have been motorhoming for about 3 years. I have become a lot more serious about it in the last few months and although I have owned my current mh since 2011(?), have spent some time and money improving it this year. I'm very happy with it now and have just returned from 1 month in France and a month in Spain. I'm hoping to go away again to warmer climes (probably Spain) before the end of the year.

The main improvement has been a sense of independence since fitting solar panels. The ability to park up almost anywhere and not have to worry about ehu (and pay campsite fees). I also repaired/replaced various other items that had either broken through wear and tear or had not worked since we bought the mh in 2011. Our mh is a 2006 registered Autotrail Chieftain and amongst other things I've had to replace the Shurflo water pump (leaking), the shower mixer (never worked properly), awning gearbox (gradual deterioration).

The main work was on the solar panels where I was inspired entirely by Techno100 on another forum which I won't mention here. As he now continues to provide such wonderful threads on this forum I felt I had no alternative but to follow Andy here.

I fitted three 100 watt flexible panels to the roof of my mh. One panel feeds the Sargent control panel via a 10amp controller so charging both the leisure batteries in bank 1 and the vehicle battery. The two other panels connect to a 30amp controller feeding a second bank of 2 leisure batteries and are dedicated initially to an inverter which feeds three sockets within the mh. These can be switched back into the existing 240v circuit if we are on ehu. Some additional 12v sockets are connected to bank 2 to provide charging for electrical equipment.

The second bank is also connected to a C2b relay so any spare capacity is fed to bank 1.

Having been away for 2 months and also seen how the system is working whilst the vehicle is in storage, I must say I am delighted with the results. This is mainly thanks to Andy as his threads are so informative with great pictures and links to where he has sourced the various items. Without his inspiration I might not have felt able even to get started.

I'm keen to get away again. I must explain that I care for my 92 year old mother. I'm lucky in that we live together in a flat in Cardiff Bay but I find that I can care for her just as well in our motorhome. She prefers the warmer weather in Southern Spain so I'm sure we'll be off again soon!

So a few winterisation mods and possibly some changes to Internet and tv systems to sort out before we go again. I know that I'll be visiting this forum for guidance.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
That sounds well thought out electrically. Just needing Spanish sun to kick it into action.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The main work was on the solar panels where I was inspired entirely by Techno100 on another forum which I won't mention here. As he now continues to provide such wonderful threads on this forum I felt I had no alternative but to follow Andy here.
Smart move buddy (y), Welcome to thee best forum

OP
OP
Harrers

Harrers

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
C class lowline
Exp
Since 2011
Thank you all for the warm welcome to mhfun forum. I'm still getting used to the ways of posting etc and making full use of Jim's help pages and videos.

That sounds well thought out electrically. Just needing Spanish sun to kick it into action.

Thanks hilldweller - yes it was well thought out by Techno100! I just copied his Installation although on a completely different mh. It worked well in Spain in October and I'm wondering how well it will work during my travels back to Spain in December (I hope). I've been thinking about a new underslung lpg tank and an lpg generator. I may just go for the tank so we have plenty of gas for heating - have to think of my mum of course. Then see how the electric works out as we will be driving to charge during the day until we reach our destination which should be sunny.

hello from llandaff i did meet you in morrisons car park last year , welcome to the fun

I remember meeting you in Morrisons carpark. That's my home base. When I remove the mh from storage I have to park in Morrisons and then ferry everything from my flat to the carpark in my car. Not allowed to park at the flats - private cars only. We're too big anyway. Morrisons are very good about people from my flats using their car park. Someone had a tag axle hymer that he used to park there all the time.

If we return late from a trip it's usually easier to spend the night in the car park and start sorting stuff out the next morning. Not sure what Morrisons would say if we started an unofficial aire!

Earlier in the summer when I was working on my mh we were parked there for nearly 2 months. I did do some work there but mostly I did the work at my son's business premises but kept it there overnight.

I seem to remember that you have a Chieftain which you are fortunate enough to be able to park outside your house. I think you also told me that it had a factory-fitted generator. I assume they use the external locker which is effectively under the kitchen sink unit. This is where I have put my second bank of leisure batteries and inverter. Does your door have a vent in it? I'm thinking of putting a vent in my locker door as in hot weather if the inverter is on it gets quite hot in there. Of course the inverter has a cut-off and as yet it hasn't but I'd rather remove the possibility.

Sorry I seem to have rambled on a bit.

pamie

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello and welcome Harrers. I just keep reading yours over and over so interesting I have not even looked at where the leisure batteries are yet and i know there is some sort of gas generator under the van when i would need to use it i don't quite know there is a socket in the kitchen that i can't use because it needs an inverter????????, you know so much about your van :notworthy2: i wish!!!

Pamie&Nigel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back