Bizarre engine fault X250 (1 Viewer)

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
Whilst travelling back from a couple of days away. My 2007 fiat x250 2.3 developed a bizarre fault.

Going along at 90kph I felt the engine judder, like fuel starvation, and then it ran normally, after another 30 mins or so the engine juddered again and the engine management light came on. We continued for another 25kms or so with the engine behaving normally and then it juddered again for about 200 meters and then continued normally.

I am hoping that this problem is not going to cost me an arm and leg when I take it to my local Fiat professional dealer tomorrow!!!!

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
we had the same problem on our x250 2.3 work vans and it turned out to be a faulty injectors.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
If the engine management light came on, the fault will have registered with the ECU and the diagnostics should go straight to it.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
when we had this problem the EML came on and diagnostic showed DPF(diesel particle filter) fault and we changed the DPF,and 100 miles down the road the same fault came back and after a few more visits to the fiat main dealer it was decided to renew all the injectors, problem solved

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Steve, we had, what sounds like, a similar problem with our van
After a long'ish run we were slowing down to come off the auto route and the engine seemed to judder and miss a few beats then went back to normal running for a few km. We stopped to pick up some supplies and then it took a few goes to get it started. I forget the exact code that came up on the display but it led us to think it was water in the fuel
We bled the fuel filter and it was fine after that and after 20 km or so the engine management light went out.

Hope this helps matey

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
We had the same problems a few years back and thought it was water in the diesel, filled up in some dinky village in Spain, put some jet cleaner in and after that seems ok, touch wood.

OP
OP
elamessa
May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
Any News?
It is the 'papillon' valve in the EGR which they changed, but they used a re-conditioned one which they got from Fiat, and it failed as soon as I drove it off the forecourt!!!!!!! They said this is not the first 're-con' one that has failed...go figure.. They are now waiting for new replacement....... watch this space......

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
It is the 'papillon' valve in the EGR which they changed, but they used a re-conditioned one which they got from Fiat, and it failed as soon as I drove it off the forecourt!!!!!!! They said this is not the first 're-con' one that has failed...go figure.. They are now waiting for new replacement....... watch this space......

We had a problem with ours while on our way to the UK last Christmas.
I called into a Citroen garage and they plugged in their computer and said it was the EGR valve, about 400€ o for a new one.
I couldn't wait for a new one to be delivered because I was catching a boat in about 3 hours. They said it would be okay to drive, just underpowered.
I got back in the van and drove off . . . . and it was back to normal, but re-occurred about 350 km later.
Spoke to my son-in-law to explain why we were going to be late and he suggested finding a good bit of road and drive it like I stole it.
After about 10 miles using high revs it was okay.
Apparently, because we tend to drive our van sedately they clog up the valve clogs up with carbon and a good thrash at high revs tends to burn it off.
Later I also put a product called Forte, it's a product many garages use to clean the carbon off the engines and exhaust system.
Since then we've done about 10,000km and so far so good, no re-occurrence of the problem
It might be worth a try at burning the carbon off by taking the van on a high Rev run and see if it helps, and 30€ for the Forte stuff has saved me around 370€.

Good luck!

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Always worthwhile giving a diesel engine a good blast up a hill now and again, clears the tubes as we say.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Never tried it myself but a friend of mine puts a gallon of petrol in a tank of diesel two or three times a year, he is convinced it cleans the injectors up.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Try this, Broken Link Removed It works a treat and like it says you should notice a difference straight away

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I was in the motor trade all my life, doing MOT's for the last part, if any diesel engines needed cleaning out to pass the test, we used to use ' Diesel Magic', an additive you could get from Wilco's, only cost about £5 a bottle, it worked particularly well when the tank was very low on fuel, full bottle in, a good thrash up the road, never failed, we could not find any other product from any other manufacturer that worked so well, I still use it occasionally,

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
I was in the motor trade all my life, doing MOT's for the last part, if any diesel engines needed cleaning out to pass the test, we used to use ' Diesel Magic', an additive you could get from Wilco's, only cost about £5 a bottle, it worked particularly well when the tank was very low on fuel, full bottle in, a good thrash up the road, never failed, we could not find any other product from any other manufacturer that worked so well, I still use it occasionally,
I will second that, every diesel I send for test gets a dose on an almost empty tank and a bit of a thrashing even get good results on some right nails.

OP
OP
elamessa
May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
I have read that replacing/supplementing the earth cable helps illieviate some of the problems with the ecu. Would 9 gauge jump start cable rated at 400amp help?
Cheers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back