Route to Chamonix ski area wanted (1 Viewer)

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
Off skiing this season and taking up to 2 days to get there, starting from Wednesday evening crossing at the tunnel,hopefully arriving lunch time on 2nd day (Friday, ready for ski on Saturday morning having collected passes and ski's on the Friday)
Want to potentially get 2 hours max distance on tunnel evening (depending on weather etc) - any ideas of Aires on route. Need an aire also on route for 2nd night.
Usual question to toll or not to toll or partial toll and we can go through Switzerland if needed as got 8 days left on our "toll" system from the summer. thinking of going via Luxembourg, down to Strasbourg or is this going ridiculously out of way for sake of tolls?

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
When are you travelling and why particularly Chamonix? We took ours down to Les Deux Alpes this Easter, ( going again next year too). Did a similar thing...took two days to get there and stayed at the Aire at LDA and then on to a campsite down in the valley for 5 days. Took less time to get back as we had a schedule to stick to. We did part toll and part rural roads. Had a fantastic time, can't wait to do it again.

OP
OP
Soozywoozy

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
thankyou
We are booked at Les Contamines campsite which is not far from Chamonix (same Mont blanc area pass) but less well known, so hence why posted Chamonix.
where about is aire LDA please?
which bits toll which bits rural?
and how long did the different legs take?
(daughter going to les Deux Alpes in December with university by coach overnight - not sure I would like the journey like that, but apparently theres a festival at the same time - other motorhomers beware - Les Deux Alpes is having a youth invasion week beginning 12th dec - many students going from many universities)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Yes you can go via luxembourg - we have used this route from Dunkirk several times - free motorways down through Belgium - fill up with diesel in Luxembourg then hang a right into France free motorways down towards Metz -& Nancy personally I wouldn;t go through Switzerland -
We have also gone down through France avoiding toll roads but obvioulsy you will take more time
Others may recommend use of tolls through France to save time but never done this so can't help
All the Aires for France is worth getting then you don't need to plan specific stops en route - also the Mountain Aires from Vicarious books is worth having with you
Enjoy the Alps

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Yes you can go via luxembourg - we have used this route from Dunkirk several times - free motorways down through Belgium - fill up with diesel in Luxembourg then hang a right into France free motorways down towards Metz -& Nancy personally I wouldn;t go through Switzerland -
We have also gone down through France avoiding toll roads but obvioulsy you will take more time
Others may recommend use of tolls through France to save time but never done this so can't help
All the Aires for France is worth getting then you don't need to plan specific stops en route - also the Mountain Aires from Vicarious books is worth having with you
Enjoy the Alps

Sound OK to me!

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
The Aire at LDA is actually in the coach carpark as you drive up into the resort. Lovely views. Electric hook up if required and toilets, waste disposal as usual. Credit/ debit card payment only though. We went Poole to Cherbourg and did no tolls on the way there approximately 800 miles there over day and a half. Total journey was 1600 miles. This is similar mileage from the tunnel too. Arrived at Cherbourg at about 2pm and drive until 5/6 ish. Drive the rest of the way the following day and arrived at LDA just before dark. We did stop regularly on the way. On the return journey we tried to avoid tolls but if I remember rightly we may have done a couple of short tolls. We deliberately allowed plenty of time to drive back but my husband reckons we could do it a bit quicker next time and get another day of skiing in. We did the return journey in about one and a half days again. We did drive for about 12 hours on the first day leaving time for Bayeux on the following day. The ferry from Poole was a luxury we probably won't do again due to the ridiculous cost, we live in Poole too :( We will be tunnelling over next time I suspect. Can't wait. Will look at Chamonix myself but I guess it wouldn't be great for Easter unless we have some big snow.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Soozywoozy

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
Will look at Chamonix myself but I guess it wouldn't be great for Easter unless we have some big snow.[/QUOTE]
Great resource is
https://www.j2ski.com
which gives all the ski and snow info you could want including historical data. Les contamines has had decent snow for the last couple of years right up to end of april as the village itself is at altitude of 1300.
We are staying on the campsite across the road from the quieter chair lift but there are a couple of aires there too - may be worth a look
will report back when actually done the trip - already booked via tunnel so won't be able to follow your wonderful Cherbourg route and suspect we will hang east as suggested by Steve and Sue - Diesel is 90 cents at the moment in Luxembourg

TheDentons

Free Member
Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie bought our first motorhome 7months ago and love it
Are there any resorts with free lifts on the nursery slopes ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back