Did you sell your house to purchase a van for full timing (1 Viewer)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We couldn't wait to jump off the mortgaged property ladder. We bought our van last June using part of Mrs A's retirement lump sum. We sold our house in March this year and are now renting a much bigger house 20 miles away in its own grounds for a third of what our previous mortgage cost us.
We also just bought a house for cash in France at a much more realistic price. The house will go up in value depending on the work we put into it. Its not an investment, having more leisure time is more important, and if we do move full time to France, we won't worry about being able to afford a UK house because we shall be staying here.
We aren't full timing, just glad to be away from mortgages and the worry that interest rates will rise. But if it does, we will benefit from our savings going up in value.
Money isn't everything.
Allan

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just noticed this thread again and it prompted me to think how much I would have spent on mortgage etc if I was still in the house now? I moved out on the 1st May 2009 so 5 years and 6 months or there abouts.
The mortgage was around £500 so £33,000 would have had to have been earned after tax just to pay that. Add on the Electric, council tax and other maintenance and you can imagine it was probably somewhere nearer £45,000.

Just thought that might interest a few of you.

I know Jim is pretty anti fulltiming these days due to his experience. Mine is the opposite I only planned on doing this for 2-3 years and now I can't see myself coming off the road at all. In fact the thought of living in a fixed house depresses me and I am not looking forward to old age where I can't drive any more. In my own perfect little world however I would like a secluded plot of land where I can park which has electric and fresh water. But that isn't possible in this country so I will keep moving on...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Good post Gromett.

Its also about having the space when you are married/relationship etc to have your private time on your own, although I don't know your relationship status/

I loved full timing but it didn't work for Caroline, mainly due to her missing children/grandchildren.

We were abroad fulltiming and I remember actually saving money from renting the house out for £400 a month, using mainly free German Stellplatze, wow, how lucky I now think when I look back.

Paul.

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
In the mid 80s there was a book called "Sell up and sail " which extolled the virtues doing just that to the sailing public and for many it became the yachties bible . We were tired of running out small business in Whitby and decided to sail off . We sold our house but kept a small shop with accommodation above which proved to be our salvation .We had 5 great years sailing the Med but in the end realised that we would face miserable and poor old age if we did not take action . We got the shop back worked hard in a seasonal business and invested in property until finally selling the business
and retiring 6 years ago . For us property has been and still is our pension and since our home is our forever home we have no plans selling even with the expense of keeping it . We always look forward to getting back home even for a few months before setting off on our travels again.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Just noticed this thread again and it prompted me to think how much I would have spent on mortgage etc if I was still in the house now? I moved out on the 1st May 2009 so 5 years and 6 months or there abouts.
The mortgage was around £500 so £33,000 would have had to have been earned after tax just to pay that. Add on the Electric, council tax and other maintenance and you can imagine it was probably somewhere nearer £45,000.

Just thought that might interest a few of you.

I know Jim is pretty anti fulltiming these days due to his experience. Mine is the opposite I only planned on doing this for 2-3 years and now I can't see myself coming off the road at all. In fact the thought of living in a fixed house depresses me and I am not looking forward to old age where I can't drive any more. In my own perfect little world however I would like a secluded plot of land where I can park which has electric and fresh water. But that isn't possible in this country so I will keep moving on...
If the right partner comes along, you know all these plans could come to a speedy end.;)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

Raindance1

Free Member
Nov 24, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Or if you don't mind buying abroad Google "Pure Portugal" where they have a lot of plots for sale suitable for parking up with a motorhome, caravan or mobile home.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
In the mid 80s there was a book called "Sell up and sail " which extolled the virtues doing just that to the sailing public and for many it became the yachties bible . We were tired of running out small business in Whitby and decided to sail off . We sold our house but kept a small shop with accommodation above which proved to be our salvation .We had 5 great years sailing the Med but in the end realised that we would face miserable and poor old age if we did not take action . We got the shop back worked hard in a seasonal business and invested in property until finally selling the business
and retiring 6 years ago . For us property has been and still is our pension and since our home is our forever home we have no plans selling even with the expense of keeping it . We always look forward to getting back home even for a few months before setting off on our travels again.
Yeah.........had that book too.....lol

We did similar for three years then in the end came back to 'the real world' (y) (had some great times on the boat:D)

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Yeah.........had that book too.....lol

We did similar for three years then in the end came back to 'the real world' (y) (had some great times on the boat:D)

The real world. :LOL:

Yes I suppose you're right, ;) we do miss things that we had, when we had a house................Holidays for one. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Bob.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back