Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm currently tying myself up in knots thinking about which van would be best to full time in. I currently have a Rapido 985F, 7mts, layout really works for me for holidays and weekends. On these trips half my cupboards are still empty and as she has been uprated to 3850 weight isn't an issue.
Then I quite like the idea of dropping down to a conversion, mainly for size reasons as you can pretty much go anywhere a car can. There are some nice ones out there with a fixed bed, a must for me. I don't intend to do cold so insulation shouldn't be a problem.
Then last week I looked at a Burstner I 821. This is the first van I've seen that takes my Rapido and fixes those issues I don't like about it, the price, another axle and 1.6 mtrs in the middle, making it pretty dam big.
Now I know a lot of the replies will be rude to the question. Does size really matter when full timing?

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Try it in your existing van first, you might find its okay

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I have down sized to a PVC and love it, but I'm not a full timer. However I have a fixed bed and plenty of storage and a usable loo (shower questionable though), all these were my criteria when choosing an Autocruise Alto.
There was a thread on the forum not long ago praising the Globecar range so you might like to take a look at them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Seen the rapido pvc. Lovely.
Some of the new vans have electric fridges that work on 12v, and you need to charge the battery up every few days, so if you don't want to be tied to hook up, better with a 3 way fridge.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Agree about the fridge as mine is a compressor one. I have fitted an extra battery and also had solar panel installed and so far no problem with a 4 day stay.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Our van is 8.4 mtrs long, 3.2 mtrs high and pretty much normal width. We have hardly had a problem with its size, only a couple of sites couldnt accommodate us. All aires are not a problem.
The big advantage is "payload", 1.5 tons. In the garage we keep 2 bicycles and a 125 cc motor scooter, tables, chairs, tools etc etc. Never have to think about overloading or getting pulled by plod.
Out weighs the size issues for us, and when you park up, the comfort is home from home.
Phil

Mimi

Free Member
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Exp
Since 2016
I thoughy you said your Rapido was 'the love of your life,' why change it?

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Are you spending all your winters abroad?

Surely if you are full timing then you need some good insulation, that is most people's first criteria when selecting a van.

Loads of things to ponder here, don't go too big is what I would say, but then are you working in one place from the MH or travelling around a lot.

You need a lot of paper and a few pens I think.

Paul.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back