How much for habitation check? Seems expensive (1 Viewer)

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
Just been quoted £160 plus Vat for habitation check. Seems extortionate, but perhaps that's the going rate. Just exactly what do you get for that money and recommendations around North Oxfordshire, south Warwickshire, East Gloucs , south northants appreciated

LAM

Apr 23, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Welcome
Exp
Began with the purchase of our first, ever MH in 2014
is a habitation check like an mot, is this an annual requirement for a mh ?

LAM

Apr 23, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Welcome
Exp
Began with the purchase of our first, ever MH in 2014
thank you andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Soozywoozy

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
Yep, under warranty so obliged. Tonkas recommendations seem good. I think we are on annual motor sevice for warranty even though it's 2yrs/18000 miles under other conditions

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
My van had a check every year while the first owner had it under warranty but shit like this was never recorded or mentioned but lots of ticks in boxes and "payment received with thanks" :ROFLMAO:
That was dealer fitted in Germany BTW
Link Removed
Quite a lot of effort on my part to make it good
Link Removed

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
With your location I suspect we use the same dealer.

We pay the same monies. But out of warranty they sorted out the water pump and auto sat tv and at no charge.

Good value in my view!

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Just been quoted £160 plus Vat for habitation check. Seems extortionate, but perhaps that's the going rate. Just exactly what do you get for that money and recommendations around North Oxfordshire, south Warwickshire, East Gloucs , south northants appreciated

That is extortion

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Thanks for that Peter
It does of course reveal that more than half of the checks are of things that the owner uses everyday and they would know if a cupboard catch didn't work properly. Personally I think the list is extremely padded out to justify the price. The most frequent customers are tied by warranties and if they have to claim later they still have to swallow the cost of travelling to have it fixed and be without their van. Indeed they have to swallow the cost of taking it for a hab check as well as the cost of a stamp in their book.
I appreciate that your company gives excellent service (y)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Out of interest why would you not service the fridge unless asked?

seems really odd, does it add any more to the cost of the service?
Owing to the stupidity of fridge design and installation a useful service would, in most cases, require removal of the fridge. Doing this annually would eventually damage both adjacent furniture and fridge fixings. Access to the thing and the amount of difficulty removing it could, in many cases, add very considerably to the cost.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Owing to the stupidity of fridge design and installation a useful service would, in most cases, require removal of the fridge. Doing this annually would eventually damage both adjacent furniture and fridge fixings. Access to the thing and the amount of difficulty removing it could, in many cases, add very considerably to the cost.

One of the main reasons I have a habitation service done is / was the fridge service to remove some of the risk of CO poisoning, then similar for heater. I thought all the fridge workings were accessed via a vent on the outside, ours is, or appears to be

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Highbridge Caravans Somerset £199 & booked up for 6 months in advance - good reputation & necessary for Chausson warranty! Did manage to negotiate first Ford service down from £252 to £165 :)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well dunno what Steve charges, but most likely much the same as Mark (CLS) and of course both come to you - not you to them! And much cheaper than a dealer charges. Mark (no idea about Steve so can't comment) is also authorised to do warranty work on many of the things you have in a van, though it does depend on exactly what make the appliances are, of course. He's also Swift accredited so that gave us extra confidence in having him, cos at the time we started, we had a new Swift.

Not had Steve do any work for us personally, but he did do an inspection (pre-purchase) on a S/H caravan for our daughter and they were happy with it and him.

OP
OP
Soozywoozy

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes

This is really helpful - at least I know what I'm getting.
Could you clarify
  • what is under m/h manufacturers warranty (we have a knaus) and what would be under for example dometiq (fridge, hob, air conditioner etc). Reason for asking is that my local quote is for a non knaus dealer (only 2 in the country) and they are not authorised to undertake any work if picked up as needed by the hab check - so would have to make additional journey to one of them.
  • How often do brand new motorhomes have problems picked up by this service in the first few years ?

OP
OP
Soozywoozy

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
We charge £135 inc VAT, it takes about 3 hours to do fully and if the fridge can be serviced in situ then we di it as a standard part of our hab inspection.

D.
Dave - that's great and having such a great service when you installed our alugas (best decision) I would unquestionably use you again ....if you weren't so far away from us :crying:

Any update on the warranty question earlier?

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Just keep in mind when you have a hab. service, best to go to somewhere other than the place you bought it from. When working in the trade I have seen vans that have had their hab. service every year by the supplying dealer riddled with damp. Maybe its the cynic in me but its best to be wary

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
135 quid for 3 hours work... and what parts does that include?

I paid 60 for the local guy to fill out a form for my insurance company.. it probably took him under an hour.. my first reaction was horror and outrage but then my gf reminded me what my charge out rate is...

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
135 quid for 3 hours work... and what parts does that include?

I paid 60 for the local guy to fill out a form for my insurance company.. it probably took him under an hour.. my first reaction was horror and outrage but then my gf reminded me what my charge out rate is...

No parts, 3 hours at £45 per hour inc VAT. Any parts required will be extra of course.

D.

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
As a newish motorhomers.
We pay Davans £180 for 1st year habitation service. The Ford engine was serviced at weston S Mare Ford, this was part of a service contract which cost £16 per month for 56 'months, which includes European breakdown cover.
I mention this really to ask you experienced people if this is a good deal or not?
Etap

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back