Towed cars........whats best (2 Viewers)

Karen Henry

Free Member
Nov 1, 2014
United States
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I am a newbie
Hello,

I was also finding one which could help me in towing..

Thanks for suggesting these many ,would be able to buy one of these :)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I trailer and it's no hassle. A month or two ago I bought a Smart car trailer off Snowbird. It was an impulse purchase - saw it on here and bought it without much thought as to how I'd cope with it. I hate things that add effort to what is supposed to be a relaxing hobby so I definitely wasn't convinced a trailer was a good move. Anyway we tried it on our next trip (two weeks UK) and it's bl***y brilliant:). Towing doesn't bother me - it was what happens on sites, fiddling with tie-downs, parking, etc. that I thought might be an issue. On three of the four sites (inc. 1 CC site) I didn't need to unhitch it - simply pitched with it on the back then drove the car (a Smart car) on and off as needed. on the other site we parked it alongside the van & used it as a car park. Fitting or removing the wheel straps takes less than five minutes. So although we've only had that + one other trip with it I'm taking it every time in future.

Sunsets Unlimited.

Free Member
Oct 17, 2014
No fixed abode.
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail Cheyenne 840D
Exp
Since 2009
Appologies if this has thread has already been started,......but, thinking about towing a small car behind Hymer via braked a-frame, thinking Smart car (there's only two of us + dog) BUT, anyone have comments/ advice etc on poss alternatives..........??

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy,

We "A Frame" a Matiz (fantastic little car) on the back of our Auto-trail Cheyenne. The bus can gross out at 5ton max fully freighted kerb weight, and 6ton max with a towed unit (car/car trailer) The Matiz weighs in at just about 3/4 ton so we have about 1/4 ton in hand. How much does your bus gross (kerb weight) up at, and what is its Gross train weight.? Bus + (car/car trailer). That's your deciding factor. Am sure I got it right.!!!

Remember, Nothing Auto when "A Framing". Manuel (as in Faulty Towers) only.!
Hope this helps.

Mike
Sunsets Unlimited. :coolest:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sunsets Unlimited.

Free Member
Oct 17, 2014
No fixed abode.
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail Cheyenne 840D
Exp
Since 2009
After putting fingers to keys above, I thought about our trip to Portugal and then back into Spain towing the Matiz. Got pulled by the Guarda going down the day after getting off the ferry at Santander and once on route home, 6 weeks later.

Portugal no problemo.! Spanish police nice guys just doing a job. Going down they didn't really know the law on "A Framing" as spelt out in EU legislation, so they hit us for 80 euro, we ended up giving them 40 and the same coming home. Both times they receipted the money. They where in Uniform and packing the proverbial piece, so we didn't argue the point to much.

Mike.

OP
OP
Andy

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Have gone down the Daewoo matiz route, going to use the Unibrake towing frame (I hope, getting it checked tomorrow)

Don't have weights to hand, Mike, at the mo, but its an A class Hymer 644 which is the 'tug'.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We have a citigo... Had it on a trailer but currently not towing whilst we decide if we need to at all.. Citigo is the perfect city car got us in any case

Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
After putting fingers to keys above, I thought about our trip to Portugal and then back into Spain towing the Matiz. Got pulled by the Guarda going down the day after getting off the ferry at Santander and once on route home, 6 weeks later.

Portugal no problemo.! Spanish police nice guys just doing a job. Going down they didn't really know the law on "A Framing" as spelt out in EU legislation, so they hit us for 80 euro, we ended up giving them 40 and the same coming home. Both times they receipted the money. They where in Uniform and packing the proverbial piece, so we didn't argue the point to much.

Mike.

Its amazing you are effectivly towing a four wheel trailer, with steering, with four wheels working on the brakes, which sounds an excellent soloution. If your braking is activated electronically you can also reverse your car.
Did the spanish police not take any notice of the paperwork issued by Unibrake confirming it is legal under EU law.
The warped thinking of the not joined up EU reckons you are better putting it on a two wheel trailer with only inertia brakes and no reversing facility, it makes as much sense as the EU "ie none." I have never seen an A Frame towed car upside down on the road but you do see a few trailers and caravans upside down.

Sunsets Unlimited.

Free Member
Oct 17, 2014
No fixed abode.
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail Cheyenne 840D
Exp
Since 2009
Its amazing you are effectivly towing a four wheel trailer, with steering, with four wheels working on the brakes, which sounds an excellent soloution. If your braking is activated electronically you can also reverse your car.
Did the spanish police not take any notice of the paperwork issued by Unibrake confirming it is legal under EU law.
The warped thinking of the not joined up EU reckons you are better putting it on a two wheel trailer with only inertia brakes and no reversing facility, it makes as much sense as the EU "ie none." I have never seen an A Frame towed car upside down on the road but you do see a few trailers and caravans upside down.

Good Moaning.!!

Like you, To date I have not yet seen an A Framed vehicle on its roof.! UK Law says that once an A framed vehicle is connected to the towing vehicle it is then deemed a trailer. Surely 4 wheels on the ground (car) must be more stable than 2, as in the case of a single axled trailer which most of us funsters would go for.

When the Spanish Police pulled us going down, I gave them the EU written legislation as produced by the A Frame manufacturer, it was in their own tongue but were totally confused because they had their own written interpretation in Spanish. They just imposed the fine and as I said previously, sent us on our merry way still with the (trailer) Matiz on tow. On the way back up when we where pulled, the police insisted the vehicle being towed was unsafe and had to be unhitched. That was with 150 mile to go to Santander. Good job Pauline can drive.!

These guys where very nice and polite about it, but insisted the two vehicles where separated before moving off. As we departed, one of the two bobby's clicked the heels of his jack boots together and saluted with a smile on his face.

Please don't start me on the EU today A.! Tomorrow YES, after Mark Reckless is in. Good Old Nigel, he deserves a medal for speaking out.!! (y)

Mike.

Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
Good Moaning.!!

Like you, To date I have not yet seen an A Framed vehicle on its roof.! UK Law says that once an A framed vehicle is connected to the towing vehicle it is then deemed a trailer. Surely 4 wheels on the ground (car) must be more stable than 2, as in the case of a single axled trailer which most of us funsters would go for.

When the Spanish Police pulled us going down, I gave them the EU written legislation as produced by the A Frame manufacturer, it was in their own tongue but were totally confused because they had their own written interpretation in Spanish. They just imposed the fine and as I said previously, sent us on our merry way still with the (trailer) Matiz on tow. On the way back up when we where pulled, the police insisted the vehicle being towed was unsafe and had to be unhitched. That was with 150 mile to go to Santander. Good job Pauline can drive.!

These guys where very nice and polite about it, but insisted the two vehicles where separated before moving off. As we departed, one of the two bobby's clicked the heels of his jack boots together and saluted with a smile on his face.

Please don't start me on the EU today A.! Tomorrow YES, after Mark Reckless is in. Good Old Nigel, he deserves a medal for speaking out.!! (y)

Mike.

NIGEL FOR PM, he is the only one who is brave enough to speak out for us. Red Millipede wants us to stay in the EU so as a failure he can do a Blair and get an extremely well paid job as a """"Peace Envoy!!!!!!!, Cameron ?????

Sunsets Unlimited.

Free Member
Oct 17, 2014
No fixed abode.
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail Cheyenne 840D
Exp
Since 2009
NIGEL FOR PM, he is the only one who is brave enough to speak out for us. Red Millipede wants us to stay in the EU so as a failure he can do a Blair and get an extremely well paid job as a """"Peace Envoy!!!!!!!, Cameron ?????

I Luuurv your Red Millipede and the thinking. Well Done. Minesapint2.

Cheers.!
:coolest:

Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
I Luuurv your Red Millipede and the thinking. Well Done. Minesapint2.

Cheers.!
:coolest:
Thanks for that, Minaesapint is now off to the pub for a well earned drink, off in the M/H tomorrow, hope the weather stays warmish. All the best Mineasapint.

Sunsets Unlimited.

Free Member
Oct 17, 2014
No fixed abode.
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail Cheyenne 840D
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for that, Minaesapint is now off to the pub for a well earned drink, off in the M/H tomorrow, hope the weather stays warmish. All the best Mineasapint.

Any time my friend.
Don't know a lot, but have towed the Matiz quite a few miles behind the Cheyenne (SunsetsUnlimited), anything I can do, just ask.! Where you off 2, some where nice I trust.?
Have a good time.! ps. See Ukip done the business then.? Thought they would.!

Mike. :coolest:

TERRY&PAULINE

Free Member
Feb 18, 2015
coventry
Funster No
MH
autocruise starfire
Exp
since 1987
We had a Smart car on a Tow Tal frame it was very very heavy and the car was only just a car now we have bought a Toyota IQ and had a frame fitted by Towing A Frames 01246 824362 and am glad to say this A FRAME is one of the best quality products I have bought for a long time.

This is an excellent product when compaired with some of the c*** that is on the market with false promises

Hi , We had Towing A Frames of Chesterfield fit our tow bar, modify our tow car, Peugeot 107 and supply the A frame, they also fitted a rear camera, great firm, great guys, highly recommended tows like a dream, has given us a new lease of life, another good thing the speedo doesn't work when on tow

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Hi we also used Towing A Frames of Chesterfield excellent piece of kit at a good price and much lighter than our old Towtal one which I found awkward to fit due to the weight .

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
We tow a c1 at the back of our motorhome due to old age we are selling the car we are looking for £5500 with a frame so its ready to tow its a 2013

Attachments

• WP_20150325_013.jpg
    WP_20150325_013.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 33
  • WP_20150325_002.jpg
    WP_20150325_002.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 32
  • WP_20150325_001.jpg
    WP_20150325_001.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 31
  • WP_20150325_004.jpg
    WP_20150325_004.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 30
  • WP_20150325_010.jpg
    WP_20150325_010.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 31
  • WP_20150325_005.jpg
    WP_20150325_005.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 31
  • WP_20150325_015.jpg
    WP_20150325_015.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 31

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
We have always towed a fiat panda with all the motor homes we have had and had no problems(y) we use,(dare i use the word for fear of starting another thread) an a-frame;)
Brian & Jo

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
We hired a car for a week in france and again last week in cornwall about £120 full cover each time ... We get an occasional taxi ... Buses cycle or walk .... think unless you need another car at home or away an awful lot it will be cheaper to hire. Some caravan club sites arrange this for you.

TERRY&PAULINE

Free Member
Feb 18, 2015
coventry
Funster No
MH
autocruise starfire
Exp
since 1987
Good idea Granjan, but at some of the remote place we stay hire cars taxis & buses are hard to find, and it's always handy to have a small spare car around at home for popping down the shops

TERRY&PAULINE

Free Member
Feb 18, 2015
coventry
Funster No
MH
autocruise starfire
Exp
since 1987
We tow a c1 at the back of our motorhome due to old age we are selling the car we are looking for £5500 with a frame so its ready to tow its a 2013

That's a good buy, great little car , we tow a Peugeot 107, same car, nice to drive and cheap to run, tried them all this one won

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Pug 107 5 door auto here too and tows like a dream, take it everywhere with us when we want to go 'additional' touring, like in the highlands, Welsh mountains etc.
(y)

Have no regrets whatsoever doing the A frame and toad.

Regards,

Trikeman. ;)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Pug 107 5 door auto here too and tows like a dream, take it everywhere with us when we want to go 'additional' touring, like in the highlands, Welsh mountains etc.
(y)

Have no regrets whatsoever doing the A frame and toad.

Regards,

Trikeman. ;)

Didn't think you could tow an auto for long distances ?

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Didn't think you could tow an auto for long distances ?

Yep, no problems towing the Pug auto, not a traditional auto (with torque converter) - it has a manual gearbox but the gears are changed automatically by electronics, so in neutral it's the same as a manual. Can be towed forever and the bonus,,,,,, speedo doesn't register whilst towing.(y)

Regards,

Trikeman. ;)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Agree absolutely! Whatever is the point in having a motorhome if you're going to tow a car?!
Having been tuggers for many years when the kids were young we liked the arrive, legs down for a couple of weeks, car for days out. Now were on our own we want to tour and only ever stop for a maximum of a couple of days. So for us right now we don't want/need a toad but if things change who knows? (n)

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I tend to think of towing a car as caravanning in reverse. If I wanted a car with me I think I would buy a caravan. That way I would have a good sized car and a home on wheels. I may however go down the route of putting a small motorcycle on the back. We will try without this year and see how we go.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We had a smart, but with two people and a dog no room for shopping etc. Then used a Matiz, absolutely fine. Currently using a Suzuki Alto, 4 seats and room for the dog.

OP
OP
Andy

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Agree absolutely! Whatever is the point in having a motorhome if you're going to tow a car?!

A lot depends on size, here...........25ft and town parking don't go. :) (not to mention disability precludes pushbike as an option.)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back