Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Septic tanks

absolutely no problem, as it all goes down the same pipe as the site washing machine ultimately

Not always true. Septic tanks work on the basis that the bacteria within them breaks down the waste matter. Biological washing powders destroy the bacteria.

Jan 26, 2013
france
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
four years
seem to recall someone on another site singing the praises of lidl's washing concentrate.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
must be 20 or more threads advocating bio washing liquid on here since this thread was last posted to 2 years ago. I do sometimes wonder if people look at the date before resurrecting a long dead thread. or indeed check with the search facility if there is more up to date advice

geoffles

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Trafford Park
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Tried tescos cheapo this weekend and it smelt flowery in the loo

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
I have heard some MH's put softener in the header flush tank if you have one, and many MH's do, our RV was the only one that didn't, the other 4 all have had flush tanks.

It has been said, don't put the pink stuff in the top tank if you are using a Bio in the cassette it stops the Bio working.

I use Bio in the cassette and pink flush and not had a problem

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Don't know about here but Lidl & Aldi in Spain & Portugal don't seem to do Bio stuff

There has been a long discussion on the motorhome list and many on there are using Formil tablets from Lidl and seem happy with the results, and they are cheap as chips. :winky:

We used to see 'Bio' versions of Almat and Formil liquids in France/Spain but they have disappeared. However, there is now a variety badged 'Active' and the ingredients do seem to include enzymes. So perhaps this is the same as Bio. Mind you, I am of the opinion that only the masking effect of the aroma of the liquid is important, since I seriously doubt that any real breakdown of the cassette contents takes place before emptying, in normal circumstances.

Last edited:

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Hi all,remember reading somewhere some alternatives to the blue chemical you out in your toilet cassette.Cant find them anywhere now anyone help?
Thanks Steve....
I wouldn't bother using cheap bio washing detergent,I recall reading a thread on here a couple of weeks back,can't remember who started it recommending the use of the cheapo bio washing detergent from Aldi at just over £2 a bottle for about 20 washes so I thought,ok i'll give it a go as the person who posted it said he'd had no problems and it cleaned all the limescale and was ok with the seals etc,so I tried it,and hey presto!!I've now got a casette that leaks like a seive from all the seals ,and has done nothing to shift the limescale! my advice would be to LEAVE WELL ALONE unless you want the additional expense of replac all your seals,oh,and by the way before I read his thread and used it my cassette never leaked from the seals at all, fit a SOG if you are bothered about using chemicals.gwyntaxi.:notworthy::(:(

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I posted this thread over 2 years ago and have been happily using bio liquid ever since ,with no problems! ::bigsmile:

Vlad

Reactions: GJH
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Best thing I ever did change to bio liquid currently using a cheap scented one from Asda. I am in Spain now lookedmat buying a big cheap bottle but can't see bio anyone help ? Same in France too

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
I used to put scented liquid in only a little or nothing,on this van flush is of mains so too speak so nothing can be used. Nothing in your flush system at home cheep toilet paper helps too I find the quited stuff puts my bum to sleep

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Over a year ago and you have not had to buy another bottle.

Now that definitely is value for money. :thumb:
Either that or he's got a constipation problem:whistle:

Millibobs

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Sax Alicante area Spain
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since 2004
We live in Spain and have been on the lookout for bio liquid for some time. Nothing over here seems to state bio !
We were originally told this was good for cleaning out the cassette but now it seems from all the answers here it seems to be used instead of blue/ green . If so is it any good and do we use bio crockery washing up liquid or clothes washing liquid ? Plus is it safe to use on rubbers seals etc.
Regards to all

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
We've got a very ancient 'Portapotti', one of the original one-piece models. Been using bio liquid in it for about 40 years - it still works fine now. We use it in the barn down at the 'farm'.
We've also got a couple of more recent ones - under 20 years old, which used to be in the old MB608 and in the boats. These were used during the last 10 years during various house renovations. Only ever used bio products in these too.
Same goes for the original fixed loo in the MH - 1991 and still works perfectly.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
On our first trip out in the new camper we forgot to buy chemicals and it was late so only supermarkets open.. I googled what could I use instead and got some bio liquid.

I have to say that is the first time in over 8 years of caravans and motor homes that emptying the portapotti was a horrible experience. I've gone back to pink and blue and plan never to run out again...

Jotel

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2004
Re Biological Liquid sachet/tablet. We were on a campsite recently and they wouldn't allow it as they'd just had a new sewage system installed and they'd only allow ORGANIC disposal stuff-and there's only Elsan who manufacture it

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
On our first trip out in the new camper we forgot to buy chemicals and it was late so only supermarkets open.. I googled what could I use instead and got some bio liquid.

I have to say that is the first time in over 8 years of caravans and motor homes that emptying the portapotti was a horrible experience. I've gone back to pink and blue and plan never to run out again...
Not my experience at all. I put a full cap in and empty daily. I can only suggest the bio stuff you used was not labelled correctly and it was something else. Lots of folk now moved over to bio and not having problems - and I have never smoked and have a good sense of smell plus a well developed gag reflex if I get even a hint of poo fume "perfume".

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Not my experience at all. I put a full cap in and empty daily. I can only suggest the bio stuff you used was not labelled correctly and it was something else. Lots of folk now moved over to bio and not having problems - and I have never smoked and have a good sense of smell plus a well developed gag reflex if I get even a hint of poo fume "perfume".

The emptying daily might be the thing. We were 2 nights off grid and the ammonia was overpowering when I emptied..

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Re Biological Liquid sachet/tablet. We were on a campsite recently and they wouldn't allow it as they'd just had a new sewage system installed and they'd only allow ORGANIC disposal stuff-and there's only Elsan who manufacture it
In that case I would use nothing and empty daily (I empty daily anyway). Indeed, we've been to one or two places where we weren't sure whether bio liquid was allowed before we got there and so I primed the cassette with plain water only on emptying before leaving the previous place.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
the ammonia was overpowering
suggest you get tested for diabetes, and/or ensure you get enough to drink (water, not wine!!!) - 10-12 cups of fluid per day - water, juices, tea/coffee etc all count
other causes include diet too high in proteins, too many greens...

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Here is a quote from our local authority on use of bio in septic tanks as you see it can damage the reaction and stop solids breaking down its perfectly ok in main sewers but for the environmentally friendly amongst us its a no no:)

"Products such as bleach, chemical
cleaners and biological washing
powders should be avoided or used
sparingly as these reduce biological
activity and affects the efficiency of
the system."

Tombo

Free Member
Nov 1, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2000
Hi all,remember reading somewhere some alternatives to the blue chemical you out in your toilet cassette.Cant find them anywhere now anyone help?
Thanks Steve....
Right, When I toured the U.S. in a very large MH I was given this formula.

Take a gallon container and into it put,

1. Cup of ammonia.
2. Cup of Pine disinfectant.
3. Cup of clothes softener ie Luxor.
4. Cup of Coca Cola (don't ask me why).
5. Cup biological washing liquid.

Top up with clean water to the gallon mark and serve with ice and tonic water, sorry I was thinking of something else!!!

Use as normal blue liquid.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back