Free Member
Oct 27, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi I am a new member and I am thinking about buying an automatic motorhome 2.5 litre 4 berth
to travel around Europe, will an automatic be reliable and usable or should I stick to a manual transmission. regards Evocat1

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Welcome, there's plenty with autos on here so you will get some good advice shortly. :)

Aug 5, 2012
Southampton
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1981 on and off
Hi
I have a Ford Transit auto, it is a bit strange, its a manual 5 speed box that changes automatically. It can be a bit clumpy around town, but this year we went to Devon, the box was fantastic up and down the hills, even when towing. I now love it, and if I can be bothered it can be driven as a manual.

OP
OP
E

Evocat1

Free Member
Oct 27, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks gasman2008, very helpful thank you, it was up and down hills that concerned me most, as there's a lot of them in Europe :)

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
Welcome,
Alan + Diane,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Automatic boxes are very common and well proven but there are different sorts. Merc based chassis will have traditional torque converter automatic without a clutch. The others will generally have what is in effect a manual box but which is operated by servos. My fiat has one of these and it works fine. It also has a hill start feature which makes starting on hills very easy. Sometimes it pays to knock it out of auto and select the gears manually, but this is not essential.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I have the Fiat comformatic 6 speed manual/auto..

Most of the time I use the manual side of things,,,, I find I like to be in control and use it for braking,, where as the Auto you seem to have to use the brake pedal a lot more..

But on open roads I flick it into Auto..

Lovely to drive whatever you select.. (y)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
We also have Comfortmatic - wouldn't be without it - our first trip out with our MH was 3 months touring mostly Scotland, they have a few hills there too[!], it copes magnificently - saves a lot of hassle both rural and urban, motorway & single-track roads... we only use the manual to keep control of low speed eg when on sites or tricky manoeuvres, and knocking it into manual & back to automatic is seamless. I had to really put my foot down [pardon the pun] to insist on an automatic when we bought, but Him Indoors now tells EVERYBODY that's it's the best thing we did.
Having said that, we do both drive quite steadily, we manage never to be in a hurry.

OP
OP
E

Evocat1

Free Member
Oct 27, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have the Fiat comformatic 6 speed manual/auto..

Most of the time I use the manual side of things,,,, I find I like to be in control and use it for braking,, where as the Auto you seem to have to use the brake pedal a lot more..

But on open roads I flick it into Auto..

Lovely to drive whatever you select.. (y)

Thanks for that much appreciated :)

OP
OP
E

Evocat1

Free Member
Oct 27, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi
I have a Ford Transit auto, it is a bit strange, its a manual 5 speed box that changes automatically. It can be a bit clumpy around town, but this year we went to Devon, the box was fantastic up and down the hills, even when towing. I now love it, and if I can be bothered it can be driven as a manual.
Thanks very much :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
First van was a "true" automatic and was great. The next van and the one we have now both manual. I can't say which I prefer. The comformatic sounds like the bees knees as it combines both. Something to think about when we change van in a few years.

OP
OP
E

Evocat1

Free Member
Oct 27, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
We also have Comfortmatic - wouldn't be without it - our first trip out with our MH was 3 months touring mostly Scotland, they have a few hills there too[!], it copes magnificently - saves a lot of hassle both rural and urban, motorway & single-track roads... we only use the manual to keep control of low speed eg when on sites or tricky manoeuvres, and knocking it into manual & back to automatic is seamless. I had to really put my foot down [pardon the pun] to insist on an automatic when we bought, but Him Indoors now tells EVERYBODY that's it's the best thing we did.
Having said that, we do both drive quite steadily, we manage never to be in a hurry.

Thanks so much, never being in a hurry is great isn't it :)

OP
OP
E

Evocat1

Free Member
Oct 27, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
First van was a "true" automatic and was great. The next van and the one we have now both manual. I can't say which I prefer. The comformatic sounds like the bees knees as it combines both. Something to think about when we change van in a few years.

Thanks for that, the comformatic does sound good doesn't it :)

OP
OP
E

Evocat1

Free Member
Oct 27, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie

Hi & welcome.
Thank you :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
It does and I think it can be retrofitted - someone will tell us I'm sure.

I wouldn't have it done on the van we have now but now the technology is so well proven it is something to add onto the "desirable" list when the time comes.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
I have a Ford Transit automatic..... really easy to drive:)

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Quick note to add my vote to a Comfortmatic. Bought our first MH with it fitted and after a trip to France in it changed my car for a DSG.

The No torque converter means no engine noises like a slipping clutch. Decent engine braking and the option to row if felt necessary.

Really it's all about what your happy with. Quite enjoy driving firms manuals but am relieved to let an auto box row instead.

Have you thought of hiring an auto and seeing how it suits?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back