LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
I fitted one of those plug n play power chip/box from eBay £89,,, can't tell any difference in power or mpg. But after driving the pug 2.5 TDI for the last 4 years the 3.0 feels like a F1 car anyway.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
My van is a 2.2 ducato with 150bhp the standard is 120bhp I think
does that mean mine has been remapped, albeit by the manufacture, as I've had it from new
Does this also mean it's possible I could have the problems mentioned by previous posts regarding clutch and drive train or because it's been done by fiat I should be ok, any info would be helpful Thks

OP
OP
fifer37

fifer37

Free Member
Apr 30, 2011
FIFE
Funster No
MH
BURSTNER 747-2
Exp
Since 2008
Many thanks to everyone for their comments,on re-mapping. After another longish journey,I am considering getting it done,as it is very sluggish going up a slight incline,and having to change down earlier,compared to my other van ,which was a Boxer 2.2. Agree it was a lot lighter,but the difference is massive. Again thanks to all

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
A friend of mine runs a very successful business supplying and fitting engine management systems for fast road, kit car and Motorsport applications.
For every system fitted there is an extensive rolling road session during which all engine parameters are considered whilst mapping and tuning the engine.

You can't tell me the same amount of development goes into all these remaps. The company turns up, plugs in and remaps your ECU with no means of testing or monitoring the effects on YOUR engine.

Even for a given engine type, the exhaust system can vary for different motorhomes, for instance.

Sorry, but I will steer away from these operators unless they can provide a rolling road confirmation of their work afterwards.

Deleted User
Motor manufacturers spend mega millions developing their engines to give best compromise of power, fuel economy, reliability and carry out many miles testing.
Manufacturers are keen to get the best performance and economy out of their engines as this gives them an edge when trying to persuade customers to buy them.
If re mapping is so straight forward without any risks to the engine then why don't the manufacturers re map their engines to give this additional performance and economy ?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
They don't turn up and re map your vehicle, they actually load a map that has been developed for your vehicle as it is not unique unlike some competition vehicles also you are not looking for the last half bhp.

Yes manufacturers spend time and money developing the map parameters but they have to work around all sorts of emission regs and claims and dodgy fuel in Sahara temperatures etc.

Did you see watchdog and Fiat 500 1.2 litre not going up hills, that must be the map they spent a few quid developing.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Well, when I see the development of the mapping with my own eyes I might be convinced.
However, for these low budget companies to offer services covering hundreds of engine types, I doubt very much that their development is very comprehensive.
A low mileage motorhome is probably a good candidate for a shoddy engine management rewrite because the long term ill effects will never be realised.

If the new maps are that good why doesn't the manufacturer use them? Where are are all the fleet operators queuing up?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
They don't turn up and re map your vehicle, they actually load a map that has been developed for your vehicle as it is not unique unlike some competition vehicles also you are not looking for the last half bhp.

Yes manufacturers spend time and money developing the map parameters but they have to work around all sorts of emission regs and claims and dodgy fuel in Sahara temperatures etc.

Did you see watchdog and Fiat 500 1.2 litre not going up hills, that must be the map they spent a few quid developing.
A really good remapping company will download your engine map and send it off to someone for the actual remap specific to your motor and then when the email file comes back it is loaded up. About an hour, all told. Bespoke, rather than off the shelf, so to speak

A lot of companies do have their fleets remapped, as do agricultural businesses

Shovelheadrob

Free Member
Jul 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
Soon to be 5th wheeler
Exp
On & off for 20 years
When the manufacturer brings out a particular engine it comes with a map that is a compromise, the same vehicle will be sold probably worldwide to markets with differing fuel quality, different air quality/density, altitude variations etc, etc. Therefore a proper remap that has been designed for the type of driving & conditions that your particular vehicle will be used in can only be a positive thing, there is a world of difference however between the plug & play tuning boxes & a proper remap, the boxes are often just a simple circuit which "lies" to the ECU to make it put more fuel in or increase the boost to give you a bit more power. JMO

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Isn't a motorhome used worldwide in markets with differing fuel quality, different air quality/density, altitude variations?

What's the diesel like in Morocco?

Shovelheadrob

Free Member
Jul 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
Soon to be 5th wheeler
Exp
On & off for 20 years
Isn't a motorhome used worldwide in markets with differing fuel quality, different air quality/density, altitude variations?

A fair point, although I tend to think that the majority probably will not venture to such extremes, if most of your driving is European then a good map will improve things, it might just be a better spread of torque with minimal top end power gains making for less gear changes.

oldmanriver

Free Member
May 24, 2013
gillingham kent
Funster No
MH
autotrail comanche
Exp
im a newbie
had my 3.0 fiat remapped only 1 mpg better but the torque is fantastic for towing a big improvement, had my transit 2.2tdci done when new in 2007 now done 160k miles and returns 41 mpg all the time but it only carries tools no heavy loads never had any problems at all, the man I use in Maidstone does loads of fleet vans for companys for more economy

sadlonelygit

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
since 1975
my 2p worth.
if the motor is chipped and the motor is set up on a rolling road with 3d parameter mapping, then it's great.
if it's a generic bolt on module, then there is a chance of problems.
a word of warning though. if you have a m/h that has been seriously modified from the base vehicle, ie tag axle, then expect clutch problems as you will now have alot more power trying to pull a far heavier vehicle which=burnt out clutches

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
The map on my 2.8jtd would have been for a van not a always at 4t motorhome as has been said the makers have no idea what their products will end up doing.
Before i had mine remaped i was always playing with the gears now its much better to drive. And the original map was given to me on a mem. stick so could be reloaded if required.Not better on fuel no worse ether. just better to drive.
Steve

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp

We didn't have any problems at all - in fact I had been experiencing some consumption anomalies just before we went and they went away (but it was probably coincidence). We did, however stick to recognised fuel companies in larger towns or on the motorways.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back