Dash Cams.. DO NOT USE 64 GIG cards (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I know this has been mentioned in several places already but I have just had a PM from someone who is very upset after trying to format two 64 gig cards and having them fail.

Further.. As I am making sod all out of them other than a load of work and a load of grief, after the next batch arrives I will NOT be ordering any more..

Reading between the lines I believe the person who ran in to trouble expects me to pay for the duff cards..
Unfortunately, I didn't see the bit in the many posts about the device taking up to 32gb SD cards and have today tried formatting two brand new Samsung 64gb cards (Class 10) with disastrous results.

Not only does the dash cam come up with a 'disk error' message after attempting to format the card, whatever it puts onto the card during the abortive format renders it useless thereafter. I've tried reformatting both via Windows 7 and it simply freezes Windows Explorer every time.

I'm now out of pocket to the tune of £30 for the two destroyed cards and I'm feeling a bit miffed about it, to be honest. There's nothing in the instruction manual to say what size SD card to use and it's hardly on to expect buyers to pick up on this fact from a single post in the middle of a 7-page thread.

I am sorry to all those who have ordered but once this next lot of 50 arrive and are sent out thats it..

I simply do not need the problems and as its all been done at cost price there is no way I can cover problems

Again sorry to disappoint but the 50 arriving in about 10 days time will be the last

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
As you know there are loads of fake cards out there and many utilities to test and possible restore cards.

All is not lost yet.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I demand a refund for the 10 I bought :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OllieUK

Free Member
Jun 23, 2013
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2009
Mine works PERFECTLY with the recommended 32gb card.
Why would anyone put a 2nd 64gb card in when the 1st did not work?? furthermore why would it be the suppliers fault to compensate for the loss of the 2 cards which were not the correct type to use...
It's the person who made the cockup who is at fault here for NOT reading the instructions before using the item..

some people need nursing all their life. pfft.

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I was going to order one, sad reflection that some don't realise when someone is going a good deed. You certainly have my appreciation and would hope that on reflection you may receive an apology from the aggrieved party.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
John, I didn't order one as I am in Spain quite a bit, but if he ( whoever he is) wants to return it to you. Let me know and I will have it off you and figure out how to get it over to me.

I will say that lots of that sort of equipment will not accept 64 gig cards, as perhaps lots would know.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Haven't been following these threads since I had mine from John's first batch so don't know why anybody would need a 64gb card. Like lunarman I used a 16gb following John's advice and it holds hours of data.

simbadog

Free Member
Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
This thread has prompted me to dig out mine, I had it from the first order & had forgotten all about it, still in box....oops :rolleyes:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
it sounds like they were fake 64gb cards. as you know, theres lots about that have been tampered with to make small cards appear to have a larger available content. once reformatted, these fake cards become unreadable and worthless

ive been using a 32gb card in mine and had absolutely no problems

sad to hear youve had hassle over doing somebody a favour, but theres always one spoils it

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
I bought 2 cards from Amazon and both were faulty, got refund without questions so the 62gb cards could be faulty too,,,i know they are not the right one for the cameras, but the camera trying to format them would knack them up.....the ones i bought were 32gb, but he could have the same problem too,,,, i bought a 32gb from tesco and it works perfect...

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
People do take the piss don't they John?

Very happy with mine. I have a 16gb card I have bought.

If it has a problem I really don't care.

Sorry you have come across a Funster piss taker

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
John - I'm sure you're efforts were appreciated by 99% - sadly there's always 1 that spoils the party.
Well done for your endeavour - and I note mine will not be coming as I only added my order on this week - no worries(y)

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
Did I read right?

He bought two 64GB Cards at £15 each.

At that price even Del Boy would have a problem convincing me that they were genuine Cards when 64GB Cards from Amazon are double that price and Fleabay is the only place to buy such low price cards.

Does anyone wonder why the cards are so cheap?

I think the OP has the answer – they're crap!

Don't even consider giving him any money back.

robarb38

Free Member
Mar 8, 2014
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
"since 1984"
Quite happy to receive mine John when you are ready, but if it is not here by Friday 31st October I will be away in Spain until early December then home for Xmas/New Year with the family/ grandchildren before returning to Spain, I will PP you the money if you PM your details if you can supply before I leave if not see you when I return in December.

Regards
Bob

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Hopefully im in the next batch. I can't believe how ungrateful some people are.
Whoever you are... Your inability to read the thread and your ignorance on technical things is just that.... Yours. £15 for a 64gig card... Seriously. And now you messed it up for loads of people. Nice one. I hope you're proud.. I'm sure you're £30 for both cards will be refunded by the manufacturer with no problem.

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
I think whoever this ingrate is he should look to his decision to buy crappy dodgy micro SD cards.

Normally, if the card is beyond the system capacity it will fail to recognise the card and therefore will not attempt to format it.

Sounds to me like whoever it is is talking sh!te.

Hymie

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I know this has been mentioned in several places already but I have just had a PM from someone who is very upset after trying to format two 64 gig cards and having them fail.

Further.. As I am making sod all out of them other than a load of work and a load of grief, after the next batch arrives I will NOT be ordering any more..

Reading between the lines I believe the person who ran in to trouble expects me to pay for the duff cards..

I am sorry to all those who have ordered but once this next lot of 50 arrive and are sent out thats it..

I simply do not need the problems and as its all been done at cost price there is no way I can cover problems

Again sorry to disappoint but the 50 arriving in about 10 days time will be the last
As you obviously have the support of most or all of the people to whom you have supplied cameras it seems that one incident involving unreasonable behaviour by one person should not be enough to prevent you offering this fantastic service to the rest in future. I am extremely happy with my camera. I bought a decent (brand name) 32Gb card for it and it works perfectly. I suspect it would do the same with a decent 64Gb card. I can think of nothing that the camera could do that would prevent a re-format using Windows and am pretty certain that the cards in question are faulty. In which case the complainant can simply return them to whoever he bought them off & obtain a refund.

Regardless of your decision as I said I'm delighted with mine. It was a very good price for a decent bit of kit - thank you for taking the time to do this for the rest of us.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Why would you want 64 gig anyway, the only time I look at mine is when something untoward or interesting happens, 16 gig is ample as it just records in a loop.

Now there is the crunch when you want to just look back, all those hours of video to go through to find the bit you want.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
I used a 32 g card as per instruction and it works perfectly. Sorry that you have experienced any heartache but if people can't follow the instructions then they have only themselves to blame I' afraid.

Thanks again for mine anyway John.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
If the 64gig chap would have read the original post properly he would have seen clearly the "spec" and the recomendation from Jaws.
I thank you for getting mine John and I'm sorry for all the people let down by this the stupidity of this individual.
Mine works a treat using recommeded card.
See here for original post..

As the first lot of 50 went in about 4 hours and a LOT of folk were disappointed they missed out, I am willing to order another 50 if there is enough interest.
As before, price will be pretty much 'at cost' as I am not doing it to make money !
They will be £30.00 plus postage which is £2.98 or happy have one collected or take to a meet for you.
I buy them in direct from the manufacturer so they are not a cheapo knock off ( there seems to be a lot of them about at the moment )

Specs.

Auto record.
Two cameras ( one through the windscreen and one pointing back in to the cab )
G Shock sensor
R300 specification
GPS tracking ( works with Google maps )
Takes almost any mini SD card up to 16 gigs ( I have an 8 gig in mine which is plenty big enough ! )

If interested just add your name below :)

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Right, I'm the guy who contacted John about this problem and some of you lot need to wind your necks in as you've been too quick to offer judgement without the full facts! A trait, incidentally, that I see a bit too frequently on this otherwise very good forum. :)

Let's get a few things straight here. I wasn't expecting John to reimburse me for the faulty cards. I did say in my PM (that's Private Message, BTW) that I was miffed to be out of pocket but that's all. Caveat emptor and all that applies, does it not?

The reason I was miffed is that the instructions which come with the dash cam make no mention of recommended or maximum disk capacity.

I didn't follow the dash cam thread(s) after placing my order, so saying I should have known about the 16bit / 32Gb max card size limitations from discussion here is a flawed argument.

I'm not up to speed with the price of good quality SD cards and I naively assumed that bigger would be better as far as recording capacity goes. My mistake, since pointed out to me - very nicely - by John in his PM back to me this evening.

Why did I try formatting a second disk when the first failed? Simple. The dash cam screen said 'disk error' so I assumed it was a faulty disk. At this stage I had no reason to suspect anything else.

As it turns out, the cards I bought in good faith from ebay most likely were hookey as the seller agreed to an immediate refund as soon as I reported the formatting problems to him.

I've replied to John's PM thanking him for arranging this group buy and I am looking forward to trying the dash cam out - with decent quality and correctly spec'ed disks - on my return to Spain. I would hate for John to quit the good work he's been doing on behalf of us all as a result of one glitch in the system.

I also asked him to consider posting a warning here to ensure others didn't make the same mistake as me. I didn't expect it to kick off such a frenzied response, though. Isn't there anything better on the TV tonight? Now, having heard my side of the story perhaps some of you might like to remove your knives from my back and retrieve your feet from your mouths. :)

Thank you and goodnight,

Mike

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Again...if you read the 1st and original post you wouldn't have had this grief.
Why moan to someone for your own ignorance.

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hindsight's a wonderful thing, isn't it? You're right, I didn't read the first post closely enough to pick up on the disk size, but there's nothing in the manual to prevent buyers subsequently from making this mistake.

Moaning for my own ignorance? No, pointing out a problem and asking to have something done to prevent others from falling foul of it.

Does that deserve all the grief I've been given here tonight?

Really?

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Falcon269 i've read all your posts (and PM) and you are obviously not interested in anyone else.
Jaws has sent out 100 ,maybe more, of these cameras and you are the only one to get back with a grievance.

The other 99 people must have followed the info provided by Jaws.

There could be as many as 150 disappointed "buyers" because of your actions, and you still haven't the decency to admit you were wrong.
I'm as disappointed as you are that you couldn't get your camera to work but come on!!!!

:(:(:(

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
There is a lesson to be learned here. I am sure we have all done favours such as bringing a box of red wine back for friends only to find that you did not buy the correct label. You are expected to suck up the loss and smile. Of course we don't bring booze back for friends, I merely use that as a typical example.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back