LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
bullshit i thought it was for real ya jock strap :)

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
o and btw i was sober :):whistle:

Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
Another reason we got a campervan was not to fly abroad anymore, I know statistics say were safer in the air etc but I find it a huge pain in the ass and the older I get the more I hate it...thats all airlines by the way...not just ryanair, they all try to maximise their profits/payload at our expense.

OP
OP
Flyingscotsman2
Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Another reason we got a campervan was not to fly abroad anymore, I know statistics say were safer in the air etc but I find it a huge pain in the ass and the older I get the more I hate it...thats all airlines by the way...not just ryanair, they all try to maximise their profits/payload at our expense.
Yes I agree but wat do u think about reversing in midair do u think it can be done Ryan air are in trials.?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Yes I agree but wat do u think about reversing in midair do u think it can be done

I've done it.

You need a good wind blowing, higher than the aircraft stall speed, you just turn into wind, bring back the airspeed and once the windspeed is greater than your airspeed you are travelling backwards across the ground.

A party trick of a wonderful aerobatics instructor I once had, we hovered over the M62 looking at the cars flashing past.

You'd not manage this in anything Ryanair flies.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Flyingscotsman2
Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I've done it.

You need a good wind blowing, higher than the aircraft stall speed, you just turn into wind, bring back the airspeed and once the windspeed is greater than your airspeed you are travelling backwards across the ground.

A party trick of a wonderful aerobatics instructor I once had, we hovered over the M62 looking at the cars flashing past.

You'd not manage this in anything Ryanair flies.
This is not on the ground they are trying it in midair. They call it midair reversing.....

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
This is not on the ground they are trying it in midair. They call it midair reversing.....

OK, I think we thought you were on a wind-up. You have actually seen "midair reversing" somewhere.

A plane cannot fly backwards through the air, all the controls are hinged for forwards flight, they would be ripped off. An aerobatic plane, built for the job, can fall vertically backwards with the pilot holding the controls dead centre because his life depends on it.

There is the possibility of reversing the propeller from pull to push ( they do on the ground to stop quicker ) but in the air I don't think it's done.

The key here is "stall speed". Above stall speed the wing can lift the weight of the plane, below stall speed it's basically a skid, it just falls out of the sky. If you are high enough it's no problem, if you are close to the ground you die. "He stalled in" has been written endless times.

OP
OP
Flyingscotsman2
Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
OK, I think we thought you were on a wind-up. You have actually seen "midair reversing" somewhere.

A plane cannot fly backwards through the air, all the controls are hinged for forwards flight, they would be ripped off. An aerobatic plane, built for the job, can fall vertically backwards with the pilot holding the controls dead centre because his life depends on it.

There is the possibility of reversing the propeller from pull to push ( they do on the ground to stop quicker ) but in the air I don't think it's done.

The key here is "stall speed". Above stall speed the wing can lift the weight of the plane, below stall speed it's basically a skid, it just falls out of the sky. If you are high enough it's no problem, if you are close to the ground you die. "He stalled in" has been written endless times.
Really ..........:Eeek:.......:rofl:

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I thought it was for not flying in to mountains. boy this scotch is nice. I love a good grouse.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
A lot of women are better than men.
This explains it all in simple layman's terms :)

Also helps explain how men are better drivers than women :)

Man drives up road:
Approach end of road, slow down, check the mirrors, select correct gear, watch for those children, watch the motorcyclist, watch the guy on his push bike, slow down, glance right, then left, then right again and keep the momentum and drive on through the gears :)

Woman drives up road:
Approach end of road, what shall I cook for tea tonight and have I got little Johnny his new football boots ready, slow down, look at your hair in the mirror and fluff it up slightly with that scrunchy thing girls do, but makes not the slightest bit of difference, select some gear or another, watch for those children, oh aren't they cute, reminds me of Suzan's little ones, watch the motorcyclist, slow down just a bit as it's like driving a shopping trolly, goodness my nails need painting, I think I'll book up an appointment for Friday, glance right, hope the heal doesn't break this time, I've only just brought these new heels, pull out, miss the guy on his push bike, kinda drive on through the gears and wonder if you have all the ingredients for tomorrow's baking, all the while being baffled at why some guy is shaking his fist at you :)

I'll book the hospital bed now. I'll take grapes, cards, sympathy and the odd bottle of scotch if you can smuggle it in for me :)

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
This explains it all in simple layman's terms :)

Also helps explain how men are better drivers than women :)

Man drives up road:
Approach end of road, slow down, check the mirrors, select correct gear, watch for those children, watch the motorcyclist, watch the guy on his push bike, slow down, glance right, then left, then right again and keep the momentum and drive on through the gears :)

Woman drives up road:
Approach end of road, what shall I cook for tea tonight and have I got little Johnny his new football boots ready, slow down, look at your hair in the mirror and fluff it up slightly with that scrunchy thing girls do, but makes not the slightest bit of difference, select some gear or another, watch for those children, oh aren't they cute, reminds me of Suzan's little ones, watch the motorcyclist, slow down just a bit as it's like driving a shopping trolly, goodness my nails need painting, I think I'll book up an appointment for Friday, glance right, hope the heal doesn't break this time, I've only just brought these new heels, pull out, miss the guy on his push bike, kinda drive on through the gears and wonder if you have all the ingredients for tomorrow's baking, all the while being baffled at why some guy is shaking his fist at you :)

I'll book the hospital bed now. I'll take grapes, cards, sympathy and the odd bottle of scotch if you can smuggle it in for me :)

PMSL.

Hymie

Bobndebs McKay

Free Member
Jul 15, 2014
Bali for the Winter!! Back in Feb 2016
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 FMSE
Exp
5 months travelling Through France, Spain, Portugal, Germany and Holland as a Full timer in our firs
::bigsmile:Helicopters can fly backwards, but that is because the rotors are the "wing" and create their own lift and so are not reliant on forward speed of air over the Aerofoil Surface (wing) in order to create a Low to High Pressure movement ie Lift. If a turbo jet/fan has a reversal of air through the core it "stalls" and then "surges" not healthy!! Virtually all aircraft that have reverse thrust cannot deploy it when off the ground the WOW switch sees to that (weight on wheels) Thrust reversers actually vector the reverse thrust at a slight forward angle and down rather than in a direct forward motion and so could not create enough thrust even if you were to reverse the "wing" and allow the pressure drop to work on the opposite sense.
C17, C130 etc actually regularly maneuovre whilst on the ground using thrust reverse in order to exit or arrive on parking slots. I have flown "backwards" many times, but in a VC10 which had the seats (apart from Pilot and Co) facing backwards.
I also know Flying Scotsman that you were joking, and that the thread is fun, I just thought I would throw a little factual stuff into the mix!! Cheers::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back